Windows 10: Looking for free MP3 editor

Discus and support Looking for free MP3 editor in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Many times you get what you pay for. Get a freebie program and may or may not work, or if you have problems there is no support. We all like "free"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sidecar Bob, Sep 6, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

Looking for free MP3 editor

Many times you get what you pay for. Get a freebie program and may or may not work, or if you have problems there is no support.
    We all like "free" programs. Some never pay for anything and others support the work of the programmers.

fireberd, Sep 8, 2017

2. Pepanee & Cereberus: Sorry I ignored you both and replied to Fireberd. I somehow didn't notice that there was a second page to the thread *Doh

I saw that Techspot page when I searched before. It lets you download the installer for the installer but when you run the installer it requires a serial key, which I don't have.

Free Video Volume Booster's page says it works for "AVI, DIVX, XVID, MPEG, MPG, MKV, RM, RMVB, FLV, MOV, MP4, ASF, WEBM". No mention of MP3. But there was a link on the page for Free MP3 Quality Optomizer and that says it will "boost the volume". If I am going to install something to do this I would rather it be capable of doing other things too (like clipping out parts I don't want e.g. the occasional long silence) but I have saved a shortcut to it in case I can't find something more capable.

Fireberd: There are lots of free (or better yet contribution supported) applications that work as well as or better than many of the programs that demand that you pay a fixed price. I don't mind donating for something I use a lot but for something I only use occasionally I would donate less.

Sidecar Bob, Sep 8, 2017
  3. fireberd Win User
    I use Goldwave a lot. Its even "saved my butt" at times with some screwed up audio files. I have a home recording studio and do a lot of audio work.

fireberd, Sep 8, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Here's a site that legally shows you the product number: Audition | Free Music Software | AudioMelody
    You can also download Adobe Audition from here too.

Edit: I thought they have a link to the installer file. They don't. Re-download from the tech spot website. Or your can search on any search engine to find the Adobe Audition 3.0 setup file

Looking for free MP3 editor [​IMG]

pepanee, Sep 8, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    It works on mp3 iirc

cereberus, Sep 8, 2017
  6. I didn't delete the setup file this morning so I ran it again and added the serial from that page and it installed. I messed around with it and it seems to work. I'll try it when I record this week's show that has low volume and let you know.

Sidecar Bob, Sep 9, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Cool. Glad you got it installed.

I use Adobe Audition 3.0 all the time every time I download new music to add to my music collection. I re-encode (save) every music file in the regular format that I use and that is a universal audio file standard (MP3 file). First you need to add these filters from the attached zip file into the program's directory folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Audition 3.0

FAAC.flt: Makes Audition to load AAC & M4A files
    ac3filter.flt: Makes Audition to load AC3 files
    flac.flt: Makes Audition to load FLAC files
    qt.flt: Makes Audition to load QuickTime files
    wma.flt: Makes Audition to load Windows Media Audio files

cool_lame.flt: Makes Audition to save as a very high quality MP3 file without taking too much space
    lame_enc.dll: Makes Audition to save as a very high quality MP3 file without taking too much space

So save all these files in the program's directory

After that, open Adobe Audition, Press the Edit button on top (the button under the word File, not the word next to File), to make the visual preference of editing one audio file. Load your audio file in there. Then go to Effects > Amplitude and Compression > Amplify. From here you can make a custom dB increase/decrease (to increase/decrease the volume), or you can even press the Normalize option (instead of Amplify). Over here you can normalize to 100%, or increase that number. Mess around with it and use CTRL+Z to undo if you don't like the new changes and try something else. I'm sure you know that ideology.

After you're done, File > Save As. Make sure to select the Save as type: MPEG layer-3 (LAME) (*.mp3), then press the Options button at the bottom of the Save As dialog. Select Preset: extreme (you can ignore the CBR/ABR bitrate that's under it, because that doesn't apply when you select extreme). Press OK, then Save the file either as a new file or re-write the original.
    [Extra info: The extreme preset has the most best audio quality (just like the original file) without taking up so much space]

After being done, the program is now saved as default for that Edit layout from earlier, and whenever needing to edit another file later in the future, you can save as the MPEG-3 file type. But you can also make Adobe Audition make that the default save template (so you don't have to select it every time you want to save a file).

pepanee, Sep 9, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Little-known free Nero product. Competent sound file editor.

If you want tag editing- mp3tag is good.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  9. Have I really left this hanging for 3 months? I have been trying to get all the stuff that needed to be done outside before it snows, making do by just increasing the volume by dragging Audition's volume slider to approx. where I wanted and putting off finishing setting it up properly per pepanee's instructions on this computer (in the house where it is comfortable to use) and installing it on the one I actually use to record stuff (in the garage workshop where i have to stand up to use it but I'll be able process the files while I'm working on stuff) until I had time.

I'm very pleased with the way this works now that it's set up properly. Thanks everyone for all your help and particularly to pepanee for recommending Audition.

Sidecar Bob, Dec 7, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    You're Welcome!
    Glad you got it working! I love this free version of Adobe Audition because of how much you can do within it. (I practically only use it to increase/decrease volume of songs, or trim off extra silence that's in the front/end of songs).

=)

pepanee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for free MP3 editor - Similar Threads - Looking free MP3

2. Looking for a free photo editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking for a free photo editor: Hi,I'm looking for a free photo editor that won't trick me into getting pro. I've tried Gimp, but it doesn't give the optionto convert to JPG files. I have the free photoshop, but it's also limited in its editing features. I need a simple, yet full featured editorthat can...
  3. Looking for a free photo editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for a free photo editor: Hi,I'm looking for a free photo editor that won't trick me into getting pro. I've tried Gimp, but it doesn't give the optionto convert to JPG files. I have the free photoshop, but it's also limited in its editing features. I need a simple, yet full featured editorthat can...
  4. Safe free mp3 converter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe free mp3 converter: Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any free and safe mp3 converter that doesn’t give virus? submitted by /u/Arrow45877 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k0h8b3/safe_free_mp3_converter/
  5. Free Video Editor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free Video Editor?: Hi everyone. Just wanted to know of a decent, free, video editor for Windows 10? All I want to do is cuts, fades, and add text. submitted by /u/slinkyrichie [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/il6r3t/free_video_editor/
  6. Looking for a lightweight text editor

Looking for a lightweight text editor: I'm looking for a very basic, lightweight text editor that has the following features: 1. dekstop, not cloud based 2. can bold text 3. does automatic backups before the file is saved (Sort of like Word does - even if the file is not saved, it creates a backup of it...
  7. Looking for a Video Editor Choices....

Looking for a Video Editor Choices....: Windows 10 Pro, UHD monitor, i5-3570k with 8gig Ram I'm looking for a basic video editor that I can convert pictures and some old videos in a few formats vob, mp2, avi to make a new movie dvd for the family. It would be nice to have one that I'm able to easily correct basic...
  8. Free Video Editor

Free Video Editor: Just for fun I'm thinking about recording video of gameplay and uploading to YouTube. I have found a good free program for recording called OBS studio, but I would also like a free video editing program. I have windows 10 and it comes with video editor but I'm not sure how...
  9. free document editor

free document editor: Can you please recommend a free basic editor for documents that I can scan and edit, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Thanks
  10. Free MP3 to WAV converter

Free MP3 to WAV converter: I'm looking for a Free program to convert MP3's to WAV that will work on Windows 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mary 21885