Windows 10: Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

Discus and support Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My friends have already made their suggestions. I am performing a clean install of Windows 10. Most of you have what you consider programs that are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nisko, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Nisko Win User

Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

My friends have already made their suggestions. I am performing a clean install of Windows 10. Most of you have what you consider programs that are very valuable to you and would be just as valuable to many other users - including me. What better place to ask but in this forum!! If you have a program that helps your computer run better or it's a program that has a use for the general population, please take the time to post the names of those programs here. Anyone interested in a program can look it up on their browser - so just the program's name please. Of course, if you want to elaborate on how it helps you, please go ahead. I'll post my favorites when this post is fully answered. Thank you very much...........

:)

Nisko, Aug 20, 2016

2. 3 days looking for the "All Programs Lists"

The link you included is not a Microsoft website?

If you are used to the Start/All Programs folder, in
    Windows 10, this is called Start/All Apps.

If you don't want to use the normal Start Menu to open MSPaint, you can simply press
    WinKey+R, type mspaint in the Open box and click
    OK.

When Paint opens, if this is a program that you use often,
    Right Click
    the Paint Icon on the Taskbar and select the
    Pin To Taskbar option.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Aug 20, 2016
  3. jcmbaril Win User
    3 days looking for the "All Programs Lists"

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

We have to do this to find PAINT in Windows 10 ?

Where is paint in windows 10, how to open?

Are you **** serious ???

[Moved from Community Participation Center]

jcmbaril, Aug 20, 2016
  4. TheSchaft Win User

I run the following on all my systems:

- Windows 10 Firewall Control (from Sphinx Software. Allows for control of the Windows firewall easily and can prevent programs from "phoning home")

- WinPatrol (tracks changes to start menu, etc.)

- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free (good addition to virus checkers)

- 8GadgetPack (bring back the gadgets like digital clock, CPU usage, Network meter, etc.)

- Chrome browser and the following extensions: WoT (Web of Trust), HTTPS Anywhere, uBlock Origin, Disable HTML5 Autoplay

- MPC-HC (for playing video and music)

- IrfanView (for viewing and simple editing of pictures)

- Macrium Reflect Free (for imaging and restoring system)

- 7-Zip (for decoding everything from ZIP to RAR)

- CCleaner (for cleaning up temp files and unused register entries)

That is the basic set I use and recommend. I use the free versions of all of the above. I'm sure folks here have a load of others.

TheSchaft, Aug 20, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    The only thing I can add is to not use CCleaner for registry cleaning. There's no proof that it helps out. Use it for other cleaning tasks.

My 2c

BunnyJ, Aug 20, 2016
  6. TheSchaft Win User
    While I agree that registry cleaning is mostly useless, if someone is going to do it, everything I've read says that CCleaner is the least harmful. Since folks still insist on doing it, I thought I'd add that it does registry cleaning.

TheSchaft, Aug 20, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree that if someone want to do that CCleaner is the best of all of the tools to use.

BunnyJ, Aug 20, 2016
  8. exploder Win User

Some apps I install, free too!

- Firefox - web browser with the uBlock Origin add on.

- LibreOffice

- CDBurner XP

- VLC

- Oracle Java

- Adobe Flash

- Adobe Acrobat Reader

- Thunderbird

exploder, Aug 20, 2016
  9. Nisko Win User
    Thank you folks!! I already use about a half of those programs listed. However, I will review the other ones for applicability on my system. Some of them sound very useful and I had not heard of them before. Thanks again!

Nisko, Aug 20, 2016
  10. JohnC Win User
    Two other free programs that I use: Rufus- to create bootable USB drives, and Mini tool partition wizard.

JohnC, Aug 20, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    Winaero Tweaker - not because it makes the PC run an better but it makes the OS look and behave the way I want it to.

Firefox - that's a no brainer! *Wink

WMP, VLC and Foobar - media player assortment

Greenshot - 3rd party screen capture, a must!

WinRAR or Free RAR EXtract Frog - compression utilities

also, a decent office suite, (haven't settled on one)

then there are necessities specific to ones system,

and of course... 'toys'/games........

I could go on........

Edwin, Aug 20, 2016
  12. Nisko Win User
    Please go on - but I don't play games. Mostly, I like to communicate with others and tinker with my hardware and software. I just love computers and always have.

Nisko, Aug 20, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Now Edwin......don't break his machine! We are just getting to a clean install in his help thread....*Wink (just kidding....)

Nisko, Edwin is an extreme-tweaker, and he is the best at it! *Smile

simrick, Aug 20, 2016
  14. Nisko Win User
    What office suites are you considering? I'm only aware of Libre and Microsoft Office.

Nisko, Aug 20, 2016
  15. Nisko Win User
    Edwin, what else do you use for tweaking?

Nisko, Aug 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! - Similar Threads - Looking 'must have'

2. Looking for suggestions on DLP and VAPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for suggestions on DLP and VAPT: Hi. I work for a small company of about 10-15 remote workers. We have at least 3 physical and 10 virtual servers. We are looking to implement a DLP policy in addition to performing vulnerability assessments and penetration testing. We have one server that is Linux with the...
  3. Suggest a program

Suggest a program: Hi. I want a program like VPN software but different from them I now Windows has the ability to connect to a VPN with different protocols, but importing too many VPNs bothers me, especially when I want to connect to a Wi-Fi. For this reason, I am looking for a...
  4. Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions

Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions: I wonder if anyone has suggestions on RAMdisk programs that they like. I'm about to start putting together a new system but before I spend the money for 128GB of RAM I want to test some RAMDisk programs to make sure that they work as I need. If anyone has any suggestions for...
  5. Must Have Programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Must Have Programs: What are the must have Free Programs or Applications or any Useful Website for Windows 10? Any help will be appreciated submitted by /u/beastmanus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i1u8go/must_have_programs/
  6. Looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for suggestions: Hello everyone, I am currently using Bitdefender and Norton. I am having issues with Bitdefender as it slows down my system a lot. Should I uninstall it and run Norton alongside Windows Defender? Would that be fine? I am not sure which one to uninstall (Bitdefender or...
  7. PC stolen, looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC stolen, looking for suggestions: Hi, I've had my desktop PC stolen. I believe the windows account has been signed in from the new owner but I would like to remotely wipe the device or otherwise encrypt data. Thanks....
  8. Program suggestions

Program suggestions: Hello, I am not too sure if this the correct sub-forum to post this in. I'm looking for more programs that are 'MUST HAVE' for Windows, I currently use CCleaner and Driver Booster, is their any program suggestions that you have? 18639
  9. Looking for advice or suggestion.

Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193
  10. Is There a Program To Look At Event Log & Recommend Suggestions Errors

Is There a Program To Look At Event Log & Recommend Suggestions Errors: So my event log is showing way too many errrors and warnings. I do not begin to understand what any are. I am not really looking forward to reformatting & reinstalling. Is there any program/software that would scan and organize them possibly offering fixes/help? 97357