Windows 10: Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

Discus and support Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Seems like a lot of people like Malwarebytes anti-malware. I use it on demand but have never had it run in the background. Is that what you do?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nisko, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Nisko Win User

Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

Seems like a lot of people like Malwarebytes anti-malware. I use it on demand but have never had it run in the background. Is that what you do?

Nisko, Aug 21, 2016
  2. Nisko Win User

Thank you. I now have unchecky on my list.

Nisko, Aug 21, 2016
  3. Nisko Win User
    Thank you - I'm going to add it to my list.

Nisko, Aug 21, 2016
  4. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

If you were lucky to get your licenses under the "lifetime" model, you are all set.
    They switched a year or two ago to subscription licensing, and had their very last "lifetime license promo" a few months back.
    Either way, it's still a good deal, as I think each license can be used on up to 3 PCs.
    They have buffed and polished Windows version quite nicely over the years.
    I find it to be ~100% trouble-free.
    I have heard that syncing with the mobile version is not always 100% perfect, but that news does not surprise me, given the challenges of a cross-platform app that needs to work with webmail, email clients, etc.

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 21, 2016
  5. MBAM Free is ONLY a manual, on-demand scanner to help remove malware that made it past your AV onto the system.
    If you want the layered real-time protection to help PREVENT infection from certain types of non-viral malware often missed by your AV, then you will need the paid, Premium version.

For an additional layer that does not tax resources, MBAE (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit).
    Free version protects browsers and certain plug-ins in real time.
    Premium version protects "Office" applications, PDF readers and can be configured with custom shields to protect nearly any internet-facing application.
    (There are other, similar options, such as HitmanPro Alert.)

MBAM and your AV protect against the "what" of malware. MBAE protects against the "how".

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 21, 2016
  6. guitardis Win User
    I've been seeing articles lately about Java and Flash being prone to exploits, and to avoid if possible. Obviously you do not agree. So assuming the articles may be unduly alarmist but have a grain of truth, can you shed some light on the subject?

guitardis, Aug 21, 2016
  7. Nisko Win User
    I wasn't aware of most of what you posted. Thank you!

Nisko, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Mrmb123 Win User

RE: MailWasher Pro
    Years ago, I purchased a MailWasher "Lifetime" license. As "MoxieMomma" stated, years later, Firetrust switched their marketing model to a subscription (software rental) one. They modified the MailWasher code, termed it "new" and halted their previous "old" "Lifetime" users from freely upgrading to the newer version(s). However, at least today, in addition to a yearly rental fee, they are still/again offering (to me the original "Lifetime" purchaser, & ALL others) another "Lifetime" purchase (for $99.00).

While one can argue about the meaning of "is", it's pretty difficult for FireTrust to keep a straight face by terming the re-coded Mailwasher product "new"; thereby stopping their "old" "Lifetime" users from upgrading to newer versions of MailWasher!

To the end user, old Mailwasher and new Mailwasher function essentially the same. Modest visual changes were made. While I don't doubt that perhaps major coding modifications were made, from an end users perspective, they were mainly cosmetic, but did allow options not originally provided and they provided a more robust (non program hangup) and speedy mail download experience. The latter of which (speed and no program hangups) were normal version changes that arguably Firetrust should have provided to their original ("old" "Lifetime" customers.

Thus, what does "Lifetime" mean? To FireTrust/MailWasher, it must mean "Lifetime" ONLY until a cash flow pinch is felt and therefore changes in the marketing model must be made.

While the version ending with v.6.5.4 still works on Windows 10, it does so sometimes, and other times it hangs and a shut-down restart of MailWasher is required. That is, the old version is not benefiting from the re-coding that original "Lifetime" users were prevented from obtaining. So, according to FireTrust, because the old version is usable, we the "Lifetime" subscribers are getting our "Lifetime" use out of (v.6.5.4) a 6-year old (May, 2010 release) and now buggy version of MailWasher.

If, as a "Lifetime" user, I was provided with the opportunity of a obtaining a significantly discounted "new" "Lifetime" license (not to be confused with an "old" "Lifetime" license) for the new/re-coded/modified Mailwasher, I probably would have done so and not felt flicked. But because the email address that I used to originally purchase Mailwasher was no longer in use, I didn't now about the change or get any offer/deal to upgrade. I could obviously prove my original "old" "Lifetime" purchase, but wasn't notified about the "new" "Lifetime" limited purchase window. When I finally found out about the changes and cost for the new version of MailWasher, I emailed Firetrust with the defunct email address explanation and was told that the window was closed and locked! So much for considering and taking care of their customers!

Hence, my experience suggests that FireTrust over the longer term is not customer focused. Seemingly, that's ok, because most buyers will purchase yearly, so, it doesn't really need to be. However, folks considering a "Lifetime" purchase, should be wary before they send their money to FireTrust. A "Lifetime" license may be quite limited and ONLY for a "Lifetime" of the present software's code structure and/or until FireTrust's marketing model needs to again be changed to increase its cash flow.

Mrmb123, Aug 30, 2016
  9. Hi:

Thanks for your detailed post.

Sorry, but I do not think that is true.
    My lifetime licenses were "grandfathered" at the time of the switch.
    I have received every program update for free for many years.
    I know that they did graciously honor their legitimate lifetime license holders.
    I have never had a licensing or upgrading issue on any of my systems over many years.

They did, however, toughen their piracy enforcement, as well.
    (I am not in any way insinuating anything. Just stating a fact.)
    As with many (most? nearly all? all?) high-quality software vendors, the "lifetime" license model became unsustainable.
    It costs $$ to develop and test and support good software.
    If they were to continue with that model, the company would be out of business.
    The good companies (Firetrust and Malwarebytes, to name two) graciously honored their existing lifetime license holders.

I have frequented the Firetrust forum for many years and have never seen problems reported like those you describe.
    To the contrary, as far as I have been able to determine, they have always made things right by their customers.
    I have found both their software and their support to be top-notch.

I'm sorry you have had a negative experience.
    However, this is probably not the correct venue to bash Firetrust or their products.
    Their forum is here: MailWasher Pro 7 - Firetrust Support Forums
    Their support site is here: Product Support | Firetrust

Thank you,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 30, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Password manager- fast secure access to sites, plus creates and stores all your completely random passwords.
    E.g. Roboform - then there's Lastpass, Keepass...

Pop3 email: Pop peeper and Thunderbird, both + Spamihilator or similar.
    Huge advantages over browser based email.

Listary - favourites and recent files access in explorer and open-save boxes.

Geek uninstaller (free) - my routine uninstaller with scan to clean up. Also Revo uninstalller.

Windirstat - disk space analyser

sTablauncher - dockable configurable multi-tab shortcut launcher mostly for desktop programs (could be folders or any shortcuts).

Desktop Sidebar- news, finance, PCs, weather.. any RSS feed you like.

Nirsoft's tools.. many- whatever takes your fancy. E.g. Shellexview - often used in this forum, Regscanner...

Avidemux- fast free video splitter.. which I came across in this forum.

Fast file/folder search: Ultrasearch- preferred to Everything v1.4b - I like Locate32.

dalchina, Aug 31, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Speedfan, not just for the temperature indicators, but for the in-depth S.M.A.R.T. disk analysis and reporting.
    Search Everything for the speed of finding that obscure item in a long-forgotten place on your drives, and
    SearchMyFiles for precision search filtering
    Puran Defrag for Boot time quick and deep Defrags/optimisation of all drives, defrag on demand of individual files, and checking if fragmented superhidden NTFS Journal files are taking up too much drive space, especially before making partition changes.
    Baidu PC Faster for cleaning up temporary file build up and closing down memory hogs and leaks. on the fly, and reminding you when something is slowing you down.
    EasyBCD for all those little adjustments to the boot menu and easily adding or renaming boot menu entries.
    HostsMan for managing custom hosts files, so I never even see all the ads, buttons or links that could give me unwanted stuff.
    MSOffice 97 for a portable MS Office that runs from the ISO, so I can use it anywhere, instantly.
    Chrome Canary Build for all the newest features in Chrome, automatically updated
    Baidu Spark Browser To download files from the web in a pauseable file manager, including torrents and streamed video such as Youtube, and many others, either as MP4 or just the soundtrack as MP3, use a whole range of search engines some not generally known in the west.

Fafhrd, Aug 31, 2016
  12. Mrmb123 Win User
    Please peruse the following email communication [case #RPI-323423] with Jeremy Clark from Firetrust in 2012. Unlike your unfounded assessment, my post was an accurate and truthful statement of facts! Your so termed: “bashing”, when a "Lifetime" license is invalidated, -- with no offer of additional customer care -- I think NOT!!

-------------------------> BEGIN 2012 EMAIL WITH FIRETRUST <---------------------------

-------------------------> END 2012 EMAIL WITH FIRETRUST <---------------------------

As my above 2012 email comments, and my previous post in this thread specified, my "Lifetime" purchase was halted at version: 6xxx. Moreover, I was not offered a "grandfather" (grandmother, grandchild) or any other option to purchase another "Lifetime" license -- discounted, or otherwise – and as such, I was provided with zero/zip customer support!!!

I know it may be difficult for someone that terms my post less than honest to believe, but over time people really do change ISP's and E-mail addresses etc. Thus, as a-paid-for-licensed "Lifetime" user, I had no way of knowing of upgrades and especially a cancellation of my "Lifetime" license, until I had to reload MailWasher because of a lightning damaged PC.

When you brought up the term "piracy", and termed my post untrue, my credibility was unnecessarily and arbitrarily questioned!! If you have a vested interest in Firetrust and are fronting for them, shame on you!! If you're simply a TenForums disinterested member, why the knee-jerk uncalled-for accusations?

As my 2012 email opined, I understood that the "Lifetime" model presented a cash flow issue and as a happy user, I was ready to purchase another "Lifetime" license but one wasn't available/offered!! Why penalize the customer that helped Firetrust get to where they got; because Firetrust erroneously chose an "unsustainable" business model and wanted to wash their hands of loyal users (who put their trust in Firetrust) and begin anew?

Not penalizing Firetrust's original "Lifetime" users by cancelling their access to future upgrades, would have been a prudent customer-centric decision. You mentioned the term "grandfathered"! As a validated long term "Lifetime" user, NO "grandfathered" "Lifetime" offer was presented to me! So not knowing where that mysterious term eminated, at the very least, another, "Lifetime" and highly discounted offer to former "Lifetime" customers, would have been what Firetrust should have done!! Would that have been too much to ask?

As you can see, Jeremy never questioned my legitimate use as a "Lifetime" Pro user! I provided all previous email addresses and could have, if asked, provided my original registration number (which I still have). Additionally, I provided my given name -- the name I used to purchase my "Lifetime" license. Plus, I could have provided other personal information to ID myself, but was never asked! Contrary to your innuendo, my legitimacy as "Lifetime" user was never questioned by Jeremy Clark: why did you?!

In 2012, as can be seen via my inserted email, because I was happy with MailWasher, I would have been happy with the ability to purchase another "Lifetime" license, especially one that provided a current customer discount because of my previous purchase. But none was offered!!

If my resulting dissatisfaction and warning prospective buyers to shy away from a “Lifetime” purchase based on the cancelling of a previous so-called “Lifetime” purchases is considered “bashing”, then you must therefore approve of such contractual cancellations and poor customer-focused business practices!!!

This doesn't mean -- as I said in my original post -- that I believe that MailWasher isn't a very useful product, or that an annual rental will put ones faith and trust in Firetrust in jeopardy. It just means, that one should proceed with caveat emptor in mind with
    "Lifetime" offers that may prove to be anything but......!!!

Mrmb123, Sep 1, 2016
  13. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

Hi, @Mrmb123:

^^ Sorry to hear about your troubles. And, no, as I clearly stated, there was no innuendo in my post. My experiences over the years dealing with the product, with Jeremy, Chris, Nick and the other employees, and with their support has been entirely different. Merely that.^^

Yes, "caveat emptor" applies to all aspects of personal computing these days.
    Again, I'm truly sorry about your negative experiences.

I have, however, no interest in a back-and-forth argument or flame war, especially here in this forum and in this thread (where such a debate is off-topic and where the folks from Firetrust cannot respond to your concerns). So this is "EOD" for me.

Thank you again,
    MM

(Ironically, I received an email promotion from Firetrust just the other day, with a 60%-off offer for a lifetime license for up to 3 PCs. I already own 2 such licenses, so I did not take advantage. As it was an email offer unavailable on the public product page, it did not seem appropriate to post the information in a public forum.)

MoxieMomma, Sep 1, 2016
  14. Mrmb123 Win User
    Thanks MoxieMamma for recognizing that complaints are not necessarily driven by bashing, flame war motives and that there is more than one assumed side to a story. And that another’s truthfulness and honesty shouldn’t be called into question, unless specific knowledge of same was much more than an assumption!

As a purchaser of a “Lifetime” Mailwasher license that was halted with a supposed new-from-the-ground-up-coded Mailwasher program, if I was presented with an offer to purchase another “Lifetime” license from Jeremy via our (above copied) email conversation -- especially at a discount similar to the one you just recent received -- I would have done so and all would have been well!! My dissatisfaction with FireTrust/Mailwasher wouldn’t have occurred; my previous posts in this thread would have never resulted and Mailwasher would have obtained more money from me.

In and around the 2012 time period IF FireTrust/Mailwasher employeers attempted to contact their “Lifetime” users with an explanation of why they could no longer upgrade, but they couldn’t make contact with them because former email addresses were no longer active, others in my situation would have obviously encountered what I did!

If thereafter, an original “Lifetime” license purchaser contacted Mailwasher as I did in 2012, why ignore their plight and essentially say, too bad so sad, especially when today (as you advised), such offers are being made? As you said, what an “ironic” (but from my perspective, and probably FireTrust/Mailwasher's, sad) twist of affairs!!

Mrmb123, Sep 1, 2016
  15. Molyy Win User
    i have the following tools

1.AVG-

2.Media Player

3. Firefox and Google Chrome:-

4. MS Office / Open Office:-

5. Adobe Reader

6. 7 Zip

7.Photoshop

8. Adobe Flash Player

9.. Malware Bytes

10.Minitool

11.EaseUS data recovery wizard

12.Skype

Molyy, Sep 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! - Similar Threads - Looking 'must have'

2. Looking for suggestions on DLP and VAPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for suggestions on DLP and VAPT: Hi. I work for a small company of about 10-15 remote workers. We have at least 3 physical and 10 virtual servers. We are looking to implement a DLP policy in addition to performing vulnerability assessments and penetration testing. We have one server that is Linux with the...
  3. Suggest a program

Suggest a program: Hi. I want a program like VPN software but different from them I now Windows has the ability to connect to a VPN with different protocols, but importing too many VPNs bothers me, especially when I want to connect to a Wi-Fi. For this reason, I am looking for a...
  4. Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions

Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions: I wonder if anyone has suggestions on RAMdisk programs that they like. I'm about to start putting together a new system but before I spend the money for 128GB of RAM I want to test some RAMDisk programs to make sure that they work as I need. If anyone has any suggestions for...
  5. Must Have Programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Must Have Programs: What are the must have Free Programs or Applications or any Useful Website for Windows 10? Any help will be appreciated submitted by /u/beastmanus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i1u8go/must_have_programs/
  6. Looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for suggestions: Hello everyone, I am currently using Bitdefender and Norton. I am having issues with Bitdefender as it slows down my system a lot. Should I uninstall it and run Norton alongside Windows Defender? Would that be fine? I am not sure which one to uninstall (Bitdefender or...
  7. PC stolen, looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC stolen, looking for suggestions: Hi, I've had my desktop PC stolen. I believe the windows account has been signed in from the new owner but I would like to remotely wipe the device or otherwise encrypt data. Thanks....
  8. Program suggestions

Program suggestions: Hello, I am not too sure if this the correct sub-forum to post this in. I'm looking for more programs that are 'MUST HAVE' for Windows, I currently use CCleaner and Driver Booster, is their any program suggestions that you have? 18639
  9. Looking for advice or suggestion.

Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193
  10. Is There a Program To Look At Event Log & Recommend Suggestions Errors

Is There a Program To Look At Event Log & Recommend Suggestions Errors: So my event log is showing way too many errrors and warnings. I do not begin to understand what any are. I am not really looking forward to reformatting & reinstalling. Is there any program/software that would scan and organize them possibly offering fixes/help? 97357