Windows 10: Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

Discus and support Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would disagree with Exploder's suggestion of Thunderbird for email. Thunderbird is slowly dying, few updates etc. A far better email solution is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nisko, Aug 20, 2016.

1. DavidA23 Win User

Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

I would disagree with Exploder's suggestion of Thunderbird for email.
    Thunderbird is slowly dying, few updates etc.
    A far better email solution is Mailbird. I've tried most email applications over the years & Mailbird is the best I've found so far

DavidA23, Sep 7, 2016

2. i have wise registry cleaner, wise force deleter and wise disk cleaner. plus peazip to unzip all kinds of formats. i trust these apps and recommend using them. and lets not forget irfanview image and video viewer, great program.

Pathfinder, Sep 9, 2016
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    Any must have software list is going to have software that each person uses on a daily basis. I don't think that there is a true , One list for everyone.

I for one use this, 7zip. Is it needed. No, you can unzip files just fine with the one built into Windows.

One tool that's a must have for me is a PDF reader. Edge just doesn't cut it,
    Registry cleaner.. no. Doesn't do much if anything to justify it's use anymore.
    Office tools.. for me yes but I mostly use a spreadsheet tool.. Excel.

A few programming tools.. but not much really.

DVD, CD burner...

BunnyJ, Sep 9, 2016
  4. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

forgot to add, best browsers so far, chrome, brave and UCweb browser which uses chrome platform. not so much FF, its quirky. don't rely on portable browsers that operate on flash, very unstable. try to avoid stock browsers that nobody ever heard of.

Pathfinder, Sep 9, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I've tried brave and while it's nice it's not ready for prime time.

BunnyJ, Sep 9, 2016
  6. well its better than edge, based on my own experience. -other folks will beg to differ

Pathfinder, Sep 9, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I use Edge on a daily basis and really find it to fit my needs but I understand how others feel about it.

BunnyJ, Sep 9, 2016
  8. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!!

at least on edge, the no track option does work. on "what is my referrer" it doesn't show previous sites. but on brave, the option still shows where ive been recently.. odd.

Pathfinder, Sep 9, 2016
  9. tabreslin Win User
    If you enjoy tinkering, you might consider setting up GODMODE. If you Google it you will get lots of choices. I have provided one of many below:

Activate GodMode in Windows 10 - CNET

TA Breslin

tabreslin, Dec 16, 2016
  10. Borg 386 Win User
    They do find exploits in Flash Player on a weekly basis so it seems. *Rolleyes The problem is, not all websites have updated to HTML5, so if you don't have flash player, you may not be able to view/interact with some sites. So it's your personal choice on if you want to have flash available for non HTML5 sites you may encounter.

Borg 386, Dec 16, 2016
  11. Asuza Win User
    How about QTTabBar? It adds tabs to Windows Explorer *Biggrin

Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! [​IMG]

It makes working with Windows Explorer way more efficient *Smile

Get it for free from here: QTTabBar download | SourceForge.net

Asuza, Dec 16, 2016
  12. metaball Win User
    7-Zip
    Thunderbird
    Aimp
    Firefox
    Foxit Reader
    Kauna
    Gimp
    Avira
    Notepad++
    Calibre
    Irfan view Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! :)
    Oracle virtual box
    Windirstat

metaball, Dec 20, 2016
  13. JohnBurns Win User

Have you tried eM Client? I really like it for my purposes.

JohnBurns, Dec 21, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    I have two suggestions: one is to look at the download tool Ninite, because it lists the most commonly installed Windows programs. Here's the pick list from its home page:

Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! [​IMG]

The second thing is to provide some recommendations for must-have or sometimes-must-use tools not yet already mentioned:
    1. NirSoft NirLauncher: Nir Sofer has been building outstanding software tools of all kinds for over a decade. NirLauncher lets you grab most (or all) of them in one go.
    2. DriverStore Explorer: great for cleaning up/removing duplicate device drivers
    3. Uncleaner: handy little cleanup tool that gets stuff other programs (including CCleaner) miss
    4. HomeDev PatchCleaner: cleans out obsolete files from your WinSxS hierarchy
    5. Windows Update MiniTool: a capable and helpful Windows Update replacement/alternative
    Great question, with a lot of great answers all over this thread.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 21, 2016
  15. WEN
    wen Win User
    I use MalwareBytes Pro (PAID) and it runs all the time in the background. Catches Malware IMMEDIATELY and closes that page.

Thema:

1. Looking for 'must have' programs - All suggestions welcome!! - Similar Threads - Looking 'must have'

2. Looking for suggestions on DLP and VAPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for suggestions on DLP and VAPT: Hi. I work for a small company of about 10-15 remote workers. We have at least 3 physical and 10 virtual servers. We are looking to implement a DLP policy in addition to performing vulnerability assessments and penetration testing. We have one server that is Linux with the...
  3. Suggest a program

Suggest a program: Hi. I want a program like VPN software but different from them I now Windows has the ability to connect to a VPN with different protocols, but importing too many VPNs bothers me, especially when I want to connect to a Wi-Fi. For this reason, I am looking for a...
  4. Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions

Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions: I wonder if anyone has suggestions on RAMdisk programs that they like. I'm about to start putting together a new system but before I spend the money for 128GB of RAM I want to test some RAMDisk programs to make sure that they work as I need. If anyone has any suggestions for...
  5. Must Have Programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Must Have Programs: What are the must have Free Programs or Applications or any Useful Website for Windows 10? Any help will be appreciated submitted by /u/beastmanus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i1u8go/must_have_programs/
  6. Looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for suggestions: Hello everyone, I am currently using Bitdefender and Norton. I am having issues with Bitdefender as it slows down my system a lot. Should I uninstall it and run Norton alongside Windows Defender? Would that be fine? I am not sure which one to uninstall (Bitdefender or...
  7. PC stolen, looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC stolen, looking for suggestions: Hi, I've had my desktop PC stolen. I believe the windows account has been signed in from the new owner but I would like to remotely wipe the device or otherwise encrypt data. Thanks....
  8. Program suggestions

Program suggestions: Hello, I am not too sure if this the correct sub-forum to post this in. I'm looking for more programs that are 'MUST HAVE' for Windows, I currently use CCleaner and Driver Booster, is their any program suggestions that you have? 18639
  9. Looking for advice or suggestion.

Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193
  10. Is There a Program To Look At Event Log & Recommend Suggestions Errors

Is There a Program To Look At Event Log & Recommend Suggestions Errors: So my event log is showing way too many errrors and warnings. I do not begin to understand what any are. I am not really looking forward to reformatting & reinstalling. Is there any program/software that would scan and organize them possibly offering fixes/help? 97357