Windows 10: Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8

Discus and support Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, Finally found my favorite word processing program "WORDPAD", at Start Menu>All Apps>Windows Accessories, (from an old posting on this forum)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GeordieBill3, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8

Hi All,
    Finally found my favorite word processing program "WORDPAD", at Start Menu>All Apps>Windows Accessories
    , (from an old posting on this forum) however, I cannot find or locate my 80 -100 previously saved documents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

GeordieBill3, Dec 25, 2015
  2. sandyjfrn Win User

When I try to print anything it gives me a message that Wordpad has quit working and must close.

Original Title: Windows Wordpad.

I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and the Wordpad was there and all my info was saved. The only problem is when I try to print anything it gives me a message that Wordpad has quit working and must close. What is the problem?

sandyjfrn, Dec 25, 2015
  3. How do I change a file from notepad from txt to rich text, etc

Open the file in Notepad.

Press Ctrl+A (the Control key and A key together). The whole file should be selected.

Press Ctrl+C. This copies the selected text, in this case all of it. The text file is now on your Clipboard.

Open Wordpad, included in Windows since (I think) Windows 8. Find it by pressing the Windows key and R together, then type Wordpad in the box. Wordpad will open.

Press Crtl+V together and your file will now be open in Wordpad, where you can make RTF-type changes.

When you're happy with how it looks select the File tab, then Save as, then select Rich Text document. Give it a name and save it.

If you have a full featured word processor such as Word from MS Office or Write from Open Office for instance, you can follow the same procedure but you will have many more choices over the Save format including PDF, probably the most useful for a CV in
    that it doesn't matter what computer OS the recipients are using, they can easily open a PDF.

DamianDavis, Dec 25, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8

Install Everything Search. Let it start after the install so it can build it's index, only take 20 to 30 seconds.
    Enter ext:txt and see if your files are listed anywhere.

Ztruker, Dec 25, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I'm unfamiliar with Everything Search, but it sounds like good advice.

However, Wordpad can save documents in formats other than plain text. I suppose that the OP would have to use the correct file extension (.docx, .rtf, etc.).

bobkn, Dec 26, 2015
  6. I just did a test and by default WordPad saves the document in your Documents folder and the default format is .rtf (Rich Text Format)
    Launch Everything Search and type in .rtf and you should find them in the results.
    See the attached screenshot of my Everything Search results. Those are my yellow hi-lights but your search results will be Bold if you want
    Good luck *Smile

By the way, if you like Rich Text Format have a look at Jarte there is a free version and it has many great features like tabs and spellcheck and much more.

Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8 [​IMG]

FrillyBits, Dec 26, 2015
  7. Thanks for the 3 responses to my post re. "Where are my Word Pad files from Windows 8 saved". In particular, FrillyBits said that by default Word Pad saves my files in the Documents folder. I clicked on Documents & guess what! There were my 86 saved documents from my Windows 8 Word Pad. Thanks again FrillyBits, it is so simple I am almost embarressed, but I have a good excuse, I am 75 yrs old, I need something like this great Forum.

GeordieBill3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8

1. Looking for my WordPad SAVED filles from Windows 8 - Similar Threads - Looking WordPad SAVED

2. Looking for free Wordpad substitute since MS is pulling the plug on Wordpad.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for free Wordpad substitute since MS is pulling the plug on Wordpad.: On my Insider Canary 26052 system, I went to start Wordpad, and lo and behold it's GONE. Sure enough I discovered I'd missed the MS announcement that they were going to drop it after the 29 years it's been a part of Windows. I don't wish to spend $500 / year putting Office...
  3. Looking for free Wordpad substitute since MS is pulling the plug on Wordpad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking for free Wordpad substitute since MS is pulling the plug on Wordpad.: On my Insider Canary 26052 system, I went to start Wordpad, and lo and behold it's GONE. Sure enough I discovered I'd missed the MS announcement that they were going to drop it after the 29 years it's been a part of Windows. I don't wish to spend $500 / year putting Office...
  4. Wordpad document lost not saved.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wordpad document lost not saved.: I was working on a project on Microsoft WordPad. At no point did I save this project. My computer crashed due to problems with the battery and then Windows 10 updated. This closed my WordPad document and I cant recover the file. I've tried searching for the .tmp but it's all...
  5. WordPad saving glitch

WordPad saving glitch: Wordpad is not working. My friend saved all her work but what is going on!!! Help!!! She am freaking out cause' she had A school assignment It was supposed to be completed on Wednesday, and her work was too long to re-type! She tried to paste it on Microsoft word, but that...
  6. Save a document in WordPad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Save a document in WordPad: WordPad will NOT let me save a document....I keep getting a message saying the name is not valid no matter what I try to name it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-a-document-in-wordpad/3ec3e6d2-8a72-40eb-8e04-f214344ca462
  7. Save windows in WordPad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save windows in WordPad: It would be nice to have a way to save all opened windows in WordPad; e.g., under "Close all windows" option we could have the option to "Save all Windows." Is it possible ?...
  8. WordPad won't save in RTF.

WordPad won't save in RTF.: Hello, Need some help with a problem that started 4 days ago. This never happened before ever with any computer or any OS. WordPad won't save copied and pasted text in RTF. format, not even in Plain text format. Error message says: "File not found" "Check the file name and...
  9. saving a landscape document in wordpad

saving a landscape document in wordpad: I save a landscape document in wordpad just fine but when I re-open it later it opens in portrait - how can i fix this ?? thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-a-landscape-document-in-wordpad/3b54aa40-32cd-4dc0-8e9c-0ac0d3a81c71"
  10. Wordpad not saving doc sizes

Wordpad not saving doc sizes: Hi, Just got win 10 from win 7. Wordpad now doesn't save doc resizes from one day to the next. It will save the size all day long until I shut down the computer, then reboot and open a doc in wordpad and have to resize all over again. Win 7 never had to do this. I know Ctrl...