Windows 10: Looking for simple pc dvd player program

Discus and support Looking for simple pc dvd player program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am searching for a simple pc dvd player...most i have tried are loaded with stuff i am not interested in using...ie graphic equalisers...subtitle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by treblefree, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Looking for simple pc dvd player program

I am searching for a simple pc dvd player...most i have tried are loaded with stuff i am not interested in using...ie graphic equalisers...subtitle overlays..etc

Basically, i want to put burned movie dvd 's in pc ( not actual movie dvd's as i have a dedicated dvd player connected to my tv for this ) and the dvd player pops up and i click play.

I have a media player..Freesmith player but this does not play dvd's automatically ..i have to use file explorer and click on a file Vob.Ts...something ..and click on this to watch dvd.. i have done media associations but Windows media player keeps popping up as default player even though i have Freesmith player as my default player.

I have Vlc videolan player installed at moment but behaves erractically for some reason..

Anyone know of alternatives i could try ?

Thank you

My PC is Intel with Windows 10 pro 1607

:)

treblefree, Mar 23, 2017
  2. JimWynne Win User

DVD player won't play a DVD that it played many tmes before

It's fairly simple. If the DVD plays in a different DVD player, and other DVDs don't play in the PC, there's something wrong with the hardware. On the other hand, if the DVD doesn't play in other DVD players and other DVDs play OK in the PC, there's
    something wrong with the disc.

JimWynne, Mar 23, 2017
  3. GeoMich Win User
    DVD drive not working since Windows 10 upgrade

What I sould been expecting from an upgrade of windows, is to be better in basic simple things. There are still out there people that don't know about all these recomended instruction and of how to do a dvd player on a PC to play. Is it possible for everything
    in the older XP's to be fine and after so many years things to be going worse and also after so much trouble, looking for why the dvd is not playing (wondering about where is the problem) for us to be informed that the best of all seasons windows (windows
    10) cannot play dvd and we have to buy a special program for having dvd player? OK! Think about it.

GeoMich, Mar 23, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Looking for simple pc dvd player program

It's not the file associations you need to set in order to automatically play DVDs, it's the Autoplay settings. For your VLC problems, if it is not version 2.2.4 try updating it. It's safest to do this from within VLC, use 'Tools > Check for updates...'. If you install (or upgrade) VLC you need to use the custom settings. There is one (unticked by default) to register it as capable of playing DVD movies.

Control Panel gives the greatest control over how Autoplay works, see this tutorial...
    Turn On or Off AutoPlay in Windows 10

Your Freesmith player should also be available as an Autoplay option. If it's not it may (like VLC) need you to have chosen to make it available during setup.

In addition to VLC I have the Microsoft Windows DVD Player. I got it free because I upgraded from a Media Centre version of Windows 7, but it's quite cheap in the Store. It's very basic, but reliable.

5. Thanks for reply..I have the latest VLC player 2.24 installed. I will play around with settings and will re-install Freemith player and see what happens when i put a burned movie dvd disc in my pc...

Will let you know the outcome....probably tomorrow

treblefree, Mar 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    So have I (now). Prompted by your post, I upgraded my older version. It was when I ran the Custom setup that I spotted you have to explicitly select an option to make to available in AutoPlay for DVD movies. And yes, it does seem to have trouble with some of the DVD movies made by my home DVD recorder - commercial DVDs seem fine, as are ones made with DVD authoring software (DVDStyler) on the PC.

7. Hello Bree...

Right.... i have managed to get Freesmith player to play burned dvd movie discs..with a workaround...Autoplay settings does not show Freesmith player in any of the settings ...nor can i make Freesmith player my default player...i have to associate a particular video file to it.

So, i uninstalled Vlc player as when i converted a video file there was no sound...it's to fiddly to use for me..

I then put a burned movie dvd disc - a box popped on top right of desktop stating ' what do you want to do with dvd...look for dvd app in or take no action', i clicked of that ---opened up Freesmith player and went to settings menu and highlighted the dvd drive..and dvd disc played ok...

See attached screenshot of what i mean ( jpg format )

Freesmith player does not automatically play dvd discs...you manually have to tell it to play them.

treblefree, Mar 24, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

To make a DVD playable on most devices you need to "Finalize" it which makes it playable on things like domestic DVD players --these devices can't usually play what is known as "Open Multi-session" discs so the "finalising" closes the DVD and sets it that no more data can be written to it.

Modern DVD authoring software will do that automatically - but if you created those DVD's a long time ago then the chances are you will have to finalize them manually with your DVD authoring software.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2017
  9. Hello Jimbo45,

Thanks for reply.I use Freemake Video Converter as the burned dvd discs play on my dedicated DVD player connected to my hd tv... ( i have quite a few burned ages ago ) and they play perfectly well...and they are finalised as i cannot add anything else to them.
    Also i have a Panasonic VHS to DVD player and the burned dvd discs play ok aswell on pc without any problems as i mainly use branded quality 4.8Gb DVD+R and DVD+RW and not cheap ones.

treblefree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for simple pc dvd player program - Similar Threads - Looking simple dvd

2. DVD Player missing program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Player missing program: Hi, Since the January 2021 update my DVD player will not work. I get a message that says the program is missing. Windows Media Player is working fine. I can play CD's but not DVD's. Yes, I still watch DVD movies, I own over 100 of them and since we are on lockdown, I...
  3. DVD player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD player: When I buy the DVD player is it just one only pay thing or is it a kind of subscription and every I have to pay monthly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/9a86037a-9c86-4a90-84f4-d3be880a1f93
  4. dvd player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd player: Cannot play dvd after in 10 pro upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/edbf2a95-1b86-4274-ab27-1d9eda0fdadb
  5. DVD player

DVD player: I Need to re-load my DVD Player Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/d980d940-9734-439b-a6d5-83eef6ea49ae
  6. Looking for a simple video editing program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for a simple video editing program: I have a .mp4 video that I want to edit and cut some parts out of. There are some parts in the video (on the sides) I want to cut out, as you do on a picture. Is this even possible to do? Is there a program in W10 for this or can you recommend a easy free editor program?...
  7. Looking for a Simple file-by-file Backup Program for Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Looking for a Simple file-by-file Backup Program for Documents Folder: My Documents are not on the C drive but on another internal HD. My C drive is regularly backed up using Macrium but I have for some years been backing up my Documents folder with a frequent incremental backup. This checks the difference between the Documents folder and the...
  8. dvd player

in Windows 10 Customization
    dvd player: After purchasing a windows 10 laptop, I find I must purchase a separate dvd player. I have no problem with this, but how do I install it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/44b466f4-7452-4f61-8dba-f4e587d83014
  9. Looking For A Very Simple Program To Create A Straight Line

Looking For A Very Simple Program To Create A Straight Line: So check this out. I want a very small and simple program that will create an on-screen (on this desktop monitor) a straight line with very simple steps. 1) I hold down a certain combo of keys (to not interfere with Microsoft Windows' intended single action keys, such as...
  10. DVD player?

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD player?: Windows does not play video DVD. What is god software to replace it? 90945