Windows 10: Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes

Discus and support Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Had a discussion with a friend about USB-C Alt Modes. That got me wondering - does anyone know of a way within Windows or via a utility to determine if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hsehestedt, May 6, 2021.

1. Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes

Had a discussion with a friend about USB-C Alt Modes. That got me wondering - does anyone know of a way within Windows or via a utility to determine if any USB-C ports on a system support Alt modes, and if so, which modes the particular port supports? As an example, in order to support DisplayPort video over USB-C, the port in question must support the DisplayPort Alternate USB-C mode. Up until now I've simply relied upon the manufacturers specs, but surely there must be some way to determine this via software.

:)

hsehestedt, May 6, 2021
  2. CLY
    cly Win User

USB-C to Display port

Do all USB-C ports support display port? I am thinking of picking up a cheap laptop but want to be able to connect two additional displays if needed. The laptop has an HDMI and a USB-C Gen 1. Ace Aspire R R5. thanks

3. OneMoar Win User
    Is there a real need for USB Type C

yes because usb c can function as 3 different input/output modes

its display port, usb, thunderbolt
    it also has a Alt mode that you can program to send whatever you want serial,pcie,whatever

OneMoar, May 6, 2021
  4. spapakons Win User

Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, May 6, 2021
Thema:

Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes

1. Looking for some way to determine if a USB-C port supports Alt Modes - Similar Threads - Looking determine USB

2. usb c dp alt mode not working on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb c dp alt mode not working on my laptop: 0I bought a laptop because it has a type-c display port feature, in order to easily change between my MacBook pro and laptop and work with my external display.I faced an issue in that the type-c display port doesn't work on my laptop.The monitor is MSI Optix MAG274QRF QD, the...
  3. usb c dp alt mode not working on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb c dp alt mode not working on my laptop: 0I bought a laptop because it has a type-c display port feature, in order to easily change between my MacBook pro and laptop and work with my external display.I faced an issue in that the type-c display port doesn't work on my laptop.The monitor is MSI Optix MAG274QRF QD, the...
  4. usb c dp alt mode not working on my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can a USB C port can support a display????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a USB C port can support a display????: Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-usb-c-port-can-support-a-display/5d6bbea8-cb18-435e-a0d3-fe877a86eff1
  6. Can a USB C port can support a display????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a USB C port can support a display????: Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-usb-c-port-can-support-a-display/5d6bbea8-cb18-435e-a0d3-fe877a86eff1
  7. Pixel 4a - USB-C fix - for some with AsMedia Drivers on USB-C Port

Pixel 4a - USB-C fix - for some with AsMedia Drivers on USB-C Port: PSA - USB Fix for Pixel 4a My pixel 4a has been blue-screening my PC if I attempted to use the USB PTP (Photo transfer Option) transfer selection in the dropdown. The Issue was an incompatible Driver for the USB-C port on my Asus Motherboard, ( X99A-II ) Driver Version...
  8. USB C port

USB C port: hello i bought a usb c hub when i plug it in it says that the last usb device was not recognized . in the device manger it says port reset error and there is a yellow warning triangle. what can i do to get this hub to be recognized.[ATTACH] thank you...
  9. USB C Port

USB C Port: I have a USB C port on the back of my desktop and I need to be able to transfer data through it, but it only seems to charge. Is this a windows 10 error or will I just have to buy an adapter to plug my cable into the front?...
  10. Some USB Ports Crash

Some USB Ports Crash: Hey guys, My USB devices disconnect and reconnect and sometimes some of my USB ports stop working after on the back of my motherboard since a Windows 10 update. It seems to be an error related to USB 3.0, but it occurs both on my USB expansion card, on my front USB ports,...