Windows 10: Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways

Discus and support Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did a search for this but only found old results. I'm looking for a way to truncate file names in bulk by removing a common beginning and ending,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ryevick, Jun 24, 2021.

1. ryevick Win User

Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways

I did a search for this but only found old results. I'm looking for a way to truncate file names in bulk by removing a common beginning and ending, leaving only the unique middle portion of the name. For example from this: AAAA - Dfhsd (3jd4).mp4 AAAA - hsji (3jd4).mp4 AAAA - Jldhaso (3jd4).mp4 To this: Dfhsd.mp4 hsji.mp4 Jldhaso.mp4

:)

ryevick, Jun 24, 2021

2. Simple way to rename a group of files?

How do you want to rename them? For example What would be new file name for The Beatles -Rain.mp3

We will still need to use DOS commands either in command Windows or Powershell window if you don't want to use a third party software.

(By the way, though you are not looking for third party software, but Microsoft Store does have a couple of free software which do it very well and provide you a lot of flexibility. Just type Rename and you get many options)

Vijay_Verma, Jun 24, 2021
  3. apye Win User
    Is there a way to use shorthand when naming files?

Thanks everyone for your input!
    Just in case anyone happens to run into this same issue, I figured I'd share what I came up with.
    Upon more googling and searching, I learned I can use command prompt to rename files.
    Here's the steps I've taken to save the most time thus far:

1. Created an excel spreadsheet where I typed my preferred shorthand in column A, the full file name in column B. Then I used a formula in column C to auto-type the cmd. (photo below)

Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways [​IMG]

*there are two formulas that seem to work I got from an Excel forum:

=IF(OR(A2="",B2=""),"","ren "&CHAR(34)&A2&CHAR(34)&" "&CHAR(34)&B2&CHAR(34))

OR

=CONCATENATE("ren "," """,A2," """," """,B2,"""")

2. I saved this spreadsheet for future use. Then copied the list of cmds.

3. I opened my file explorer to the folder the files I want to rename are in. In the path bar, I clicked it, typed "cmd", pressed enter and the command prompt screen appears. (you can see the shorthand file names)

4. I paste the cmd list I copied into that cmd prompt screen. The files are renamed.

The next work day, I simply open the spreadsheet and copy the list again to use for the day.

The only issue or question I have at this point is wondering if there's a way to rename files with suffixes using the cmd prompt. I have a few documents at times that look like "vo 49778.pdf" and would like to use a cmd to rename it to "Verbal Order 49778.pdf". Keep the suffix, but rename the shorthand still. Still looking into this. For now, I just hand type these as they come through.

Of course, there are file renaming programs you can download for free. However, in my situation (which I'm sure is not unique), downloads are password protected and our IT department currently is not letting us download any new programs at all. Not sure if this is temporary or permanent. But I definitely wanted to find a work around to speed up my work flow and work more efficiently ASAP. I think a file renaming program might be the best solution, but if you're like me and are not permitted to download one on your computer, this seems to be the best way to go that I've found so far.

Hope this helps someone else!

4. Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways

Is there a way to rename email?

Hi Nikola, that's good to hear, the answer is No, there is no way that whoever that is can change your password with a 2 step authentication, your account is safe Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways :)

JeremyCountings, Jun 24, 2021
Thema:

Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways

1. Looking For Way To Rename Files In Specific Ways - Similar Threads - Looking Rename Files

2. Is there a way to auto rename files when saving down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to auto rename files when saving down?: If I have a folder named ABLG. And ive saved down files in this folder as ABLG_1 sequentially. I am tired of manually renaming files to the next sequential when i save them down. Is there a way to just save a file to this folder and gave windows auto rename the file to the...
  3. Is there a way to list files in a folder in a specific order?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to list files in a folder in a specific order?: I have several thousand folders containing PDF files. By default the files are listed like this:file-afile-a_Xfile-bfile-b_Xfile-cfile-c_XIs there a process or an app I can use to change their order so they are listed first with all the files with no "X", then all the "X"...
  4. Is there a way to list files in a folder in a specific order?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to list files in a folder in a specific order?: I have several thousand folders containing PDF files. By default the files are listed like this:file-afile-a_Xfile-bfile-b_Xfile-cfile-c_XIs there a process or an app I can use to change their order so they are listed first with all the files with no "X", then all the "X"...
  5. Is there a way to batch rename files?

Is there a way to batch rename files?: I have a file with pictures formatted as "A-B-C" and need to change all the dashes to underscore such as "A_B_C". Is there a way to do this as a batch in the folder somehow? submitted by /u/gingernuts13 [link] [comments]...
  6. Is there a way to rename email?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there a way to rename email?: Hi i would like to know if its possible to rename email . someone is trying to reset my password on daily basis, i get reset code every few hours *-Or is there any other way to avoid this?...
  7. Look for a specific way of navigation.

Look for a specific way of navigation.: I'm looking for a shortcut or something similar to let me move to open the folder next to the one already open. Like in my case. I have a bunch of albums in my Camera Roll. And I don't want to keep having to close the currently open album and click on the next one. Is there a...
  8. Any way to rename the "File folder" type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to rename the "File folder" type?: I want to organize files by type but have shortcuts and folders on top. I was able to rename the Shortcut file type to .shortcut with the help of the Types app, which puts it on top, but I'm unable to rename the "File folder" type. Any way to change this type too? Or any...
  9. Simple way to rename a group of files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Simple way to rename a group of files?: like "rename *.mpr _*.mpr"[ATTACH], as I would have done in DOS-times without special software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/simple-way-to-rename-a-group-of-files/228df2fd-94f8-4b5e-b7a1-8084a83284a8"
  10. Is there a way to open specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to open specific folder: I have a thumb drive inserted where I save copies of one accounting file. The thumb drive has multiple folders. Is there a way to automatically open just one of those folders automatically when I click on File Explorer or do I have to see all the contents and pick out the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dos ren command how to rename mp3 files