Windows 10: looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure)

Discus and support looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently the hard drive on my computer died, causing me to buy a replacement computer; this computer. This is a refurbished computer that came with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TeddyBoragina, Oct 10, 2018.

1. looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure)

Recently the hard drive on my computer died, causing me to buy a replacement computer; this computer.

This is a refurbished computer that came with Windows 10. On the case is a sticker that says only "Windows 8 Pro" without any additional information (such as a product key)

I'm worried about what might happen should the hard drive die on this machine as well at some point.

As such, I have a number of questions.

1 - How do I find the product key for the original Windows 8 this computer came with. Is there any way to do so beyond looking at the case (IE can I do so somewhere within windows itself)

2 - How can I find the digital licence key that upgraded it to Windows 10. My activation screen tells me that it is linked to a Microsoft account; but is there any way to check to which Microsoft account it is linked? I have used my Microsoft account to log in to windows on this computer; is it now linked to mine?

3 - If it is linked to mine, what steps would I need to take should my hard drive die to get Windows 10 up and running on a new hard drive. If it is not linked to mine, how can I find what account it is linked to.

I do not have much, and this computer was bought with the help of friends. One of them is sending a SSD in the mail for me.

A - Can I do something to the SSD so that if my HDD dies, I can continue on with the SDD. If so, will it require me to "move" my windows to the SDD, meaning if that drive dies, I lose windows? Is there anything I can do to have two drives have windows so if one dies I can continue on the other?

B - Even if the answer to question A is not what I want to hear, can I migrate Windows to the SDD from the HDD without difficulty (if, due to the numbered questions, it turns out I don't have all the data I need)

Thank you for your help on this seemingly bizarre set of questions. As a bonus, is there any problem using Win 10 pro for home use? Most of the refurbish I've bought for home computer use (when the previous computer dies) have had "pro" or "business" versions of Windows, but I've never had problems in the past.

:)

TeddyBoragina, Oct 10, 2018

2. HDD disappear when used

Hi,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with using your SSD and HDD. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10?
    • What changes were made to your device before this issue occurred?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 10, 2018
  3. JMX
    jmx Win User
    Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the computer and holds approximately 10 System Images in addition to the file backups

A few days ago, I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to make a clone of my 500 gb backup HDD. I wanted a backup of the backup to keep in a drawer.

Unfortunately, if I try to use the MR clone HDD to restore a System Image using Windows, Windows only lists the last System Image instead of the approximately 10 System Images that I know are on the cloned HDD. (Windows appears to be treating the cloned HDD like a network backup - listing only the last System Image).

I have not used MR to make backups. If I start using MR for backups, will I be able to clone the MR backup HDD and then store it in a drawer. If the answer is yes, will I be able to select System Images off of the clone when I try to use MR to restore a System Image off of the cloned HDD?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

4. cereberus Win User

looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure)

Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

Why on earth did you try to clone a drive that contains image backups?

The image backups are compressed and all you had to do was to simply copy the backups from one drive to another using file explorer.

cereberus, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure)

1. looking for win 10 licence for used machine (and backups for hdd failure) - Similar Threads - looking licence used

2. External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD: BSOD has rendered my backups in my external hard drive inaccessible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-with-backups-inaccessible-in-win-10/6ef3a18b-2791-4129-81d3-d18732e832b6
  3. External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD: BSOD has rendered my backups in my external hard drive inaccessible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-with-backups-inaccessible-in-win-10/6ef3a18b-2791-4129-81d3-d18732e832b6
  4. External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Win 10 Backup failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Backup failure: Win 10 Using Win 7 backup option to external USB HD Full Backup: and System Image. Fails with following message; There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Backup Time...
  6. HDD failure with no backup disks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD failure with no backup disks: My Hp Laptop was dropped and my HDD is beyond repair. I want to purchase a new SSD but I don't have my activation key. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-failure-with-no-backup-disks/b50eaec0-2fbf-414f-81e2-142d63637a43
  7. how do i reinstall win 10 on old hp machine after hdd failure?

how do i reinstall win 10 on old hp machine after hdd failure?: have booted from flash drive to install win 10 on new hdd but drive is not initated and does not show up in disk part help... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reinstall-win-10-on-old-hp-machine-after/fa44c2e5-ac5e-4e5f-af2d-371cd77c8eb0
  8. Win 10 Win 7 Backup Failure 0x800700E1

Win 10 Win 7 Backup Failure 0x800700E1: Hi, I am running win 10 pro 64 bit and am using the win 7 backup process. I backup every week and have been doing this for many years (I am a mainframe dinosaur). Last week I started getting this failure just as the backup was ready to finish (during the system image creation...
  9. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  10. Microsoft announces Backup of Windows 10 machines using Azure Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Microsoft announces Backup of Windows 10 machines using Azure Backup: Windows 10 client machines can now be backed up seamlessly to cloud by Azure Backup service. Customers with machines running Windows 10 (64-bit) operating systems can protect their important file-folder data to Azure in a secure manner and restore data on any machine....