Windows 10: loose internet connection for less than 1 second and VPN drops

Discus and support loose internet connection for less than 1 second and VPN drops in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was working with a Norton support person on my VPN dropping after 10 to 15 minutes. He was working on my laptop and I noticed in the chat box that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JAMSBrooks, Apr 24, 2021.

1. loose internet connection for less than 1 second and VPN drops

I was working with a Norton support person on my VPN dropping after 10 to 15 minutes. He was working on my laptop and I noticed in the chat box that my internet connection dropped and reconnected in less than 1 second and my VPN had dropped off but did not reconnect. This does not happen on my other devices, 2 Samsung Android Phones and one Android Tab 7, and one iPad 7th generation all OS are up to date. My laptop is connected to my cable modem router by ethernet cable while all other devices are WiFi, the laptop has been WiFi as well but had the same problem. I have also communicated with

:)

JAMSBrooks, Apr 24, 2021

2. when I connect VPN I loose connection to Internet

when I connect VPN I loose connection to Internet

Carlos Guedes Soares., Apr 24, 2021
  3. aj99000 Win User
    No Internet Connection When VPN Is Connected

This particular issue has been going on for almost a month now. My companies IT department is still trying to figure out the root cause. Below is a list of isolation / troubleshooting i've done.

Issue: Once connected to the work VPN (successfully) the internet connection on the Windows 10 machine disconnects and does not allow any network traffic.

OS: Windows 10 Home - Version: 1909 (OS Build 18363.476)

Computer: Razor Blade 2019

- Latest drivers installed

- Latest Windows updates installed

- System Wide issue

Troubleshooting / Isolation

• Cellular Data: Verified the Windows machine can connect to a hotspot and successfully browse the internet. (No VPN involved)

• Cellular Data + Work VPN: Verified the Windows machine can connect to the hotspot & successfully connect to work VPN and successfully browse the internet.

• Home WiFi: Verified Windows machine can connect to the home wifi network and successfully browse the internet (No VPN involved)

• Home WiFi + Work VPN: Verified Windows machine can connect to home WiFi. It can successfully connect to work VPN. However once the work VPN is connected, the home WiFi network indicates (No Internet Access)

• Ping Test + Work VPN: Verified I can successfully ping (work) websites and even the work VPN URL successfully without any packet loss. However once I go to ping (non-work) related addresses like google.com, apple.com etc. there is packet loss.

At this point I decided to test my work VPN on my iPhone & Apple Mac.

• iPhone: Home WiFi + Work VPN: Verified the iPhone successfully connects to home WiFi network and the work VPN and can successfully browse the internet.

• Mac: Home WiFi + Work VPN: Verified the Mac successfully connects to home WiFi network and the work VPN and can successfully browse the internet.

Isolated: Only the Windows machine seems to be affected. I even verified this issue occurs on multiple Windows user accounts on the Windows 10 machine.

- Windows 10 is fully updated to the latest November Windows 10 update and issue persists

- Deleted and Added the VPN configuration several times and issue persisted.

Third Party VPN Client Test: Tested with Nord VPN and the Windows machine successfully connected to the home WiFi network & the Nord VPN connection successfully connected to a random server and successfully browsed the internet.

- Disabled IPV6 on VPN & WiFi network configuration (Per IT Support guidance) and issue persisted

*Currently updating to Windows 10 Insider Preview 19033.1 (vb_release) to see if this might fix anything pertaining to Windows 10 VPN.

Thanks for any additional guidance / suggestions / help that the community offers.

aj99000, Apr 24, 2021
  4. SUB
    SuB Win User

loose internet connection for less than 1 second and VPN drops

Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

Thema:

loose internet connection for less than 1 second and VPN drops

1. loose internet connection for less than 1 second and VPN drops - Similar Threads - loose internet connection

2. internet connection drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    internet connection drops: I have 2 win10 pro desktops one keeps dropping internet connections the other does not. Both are connected to the router by cable. Have tried various setting but none workother devices, friends laptop, iphone, etc connect ok by WiFi...
  3. software opening for less than a second and closing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    software opening for less than a second and closing: Hi, i'm having a problem: every half an our or so something pops up in the task bar and closes itself, it's so fast i can't see the icon or window but it goes in foreground for a fraction of a second, if i'm watching youtube fullscreen i see the task bar appear and disappear,...
  4. Internet less than half speed connected to ETHERNET

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet less than half speed connected to ETHERNET: I have two custom pc's. Both have similar issues. Suppose to be getting 1gb internet speed, but am constantly only pulling ~200 to 300mbs. I have checked and replaced cat cables, I have reset modem and router, I have updated and checked drivers, I have booted from linux live...
  5. Randomly loosing internet connection

Randomly loosing internet connection: Hi! Lately, I have been facing a problem with win 10. The surfacing problem is that randomly, windows stops being able to reach any network. Checking the settings though through the UI as well as through ipconfig, the network seems to still be well configured to connect...
  6. Notification length less than 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification length less than 5 seconds: Does anyone know how I could set windows notifications to be less than 5 seconds long? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-length-less-than-5-seconds/c147317f-08c1-494f-9e50-7e80e5756e48
  7. Internet connection dropping

Internet connection dropping: I have a dual boot desktop Windows 10 Pro & Windows 7 Ultimate. Both versions are installed on separate ssd hard drives. I never have a problem with Windows 7 dropping my internet connection. but do have this problem with Windows 10. I could run for days without any problems...
  8. Internet VPN connection

Internet VPN connection: How to allow your device to automatically detect the username and password you set to your VPN connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-vpn-connection/16b5da19-a006-407e-b2d9-92f219f62c13
  9. Loosing internet connection

Loosing internet connection: Odd issue, internet keeps disconnecting, sometimes only 15-30min between sometimes hours between. The wireless shows as connected and diagnostic doesnt help. only thing that helps is to disable and enable it OR wait for a few min and it usually comes back on its own....
  10. Internet connection dropping

Internet connection dropping: Hi, Since I upgraded to Windows 10, my internection drops out every time that my laptop is not in continual use. The connection actually says: "connect automatically" but it still goes off every time I leave my laptop for longer than 10 minutes or so. This is frustrating,...