Windows 10: Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update

Discus and support Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We use our own Registry key "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\AuditData\NoahDBInterface". It was created as "owned by" SYSTEM. It is used for passing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alexander Shkulepov, May 8, 2019.

1. Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update

We use our own Registry key "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\AuditData\NoahDBInterface".

It was created as "owned by" SYSTEM.

It is used for passing some data to procedures which are being called/executed by specific Windows services.

We set FULL Control right access to the pointed Key for “Authenticated Users”.

We have recognized that Windows update removes these rights, correspondently procedures activated by services do fail.

Questions:

- Is it a bug in Windows update functionality?

- If not - Is it OK to use such Registry Key or another Registry area is more preferable (where access rights will not be impacted by Windows updates)?

- What could we do to prevent FULL rights being reset by Windows updates?

Thanks

Alexander

:)

Alexander Shkulepov, May 8, 2019

2. Windows Registry Key

Does anyone know which registry key(s) report(s) to software which OS you are running?

Thermopylae_480, May 8, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    GPU-Z update loop (Windows 10 64-bit)

Hmm .. need better steps to reproduce.

The installer adds a key with the install path to the registry, which is checked against and then that "Update GPU-Z" box is displayed.

W1zzard, May 8, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update

Any way to edit the registry without loading Windows?

You will need to find a way to grant yourself permissions for full control of that hive/key.
    Just as the "Trusted Installer" has.
    You may have to log on as admin to do this.

Grant Read Write (Full Control) Permissions on Registry Keys (Fix Cannot Import and Access Denied Error in RegEdit)
    How to change Registry Permissions with RegIni.exe (VBScript)

And, a search to start you on your quest.

I did it a long time ago, to get rid of & edit some hives, keys, etc.
    Goodluck.*Smile Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update :)

95Viper, May 8, 2019
Thema:

Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update

1. Loosing full rights access to our own Key Registry after Windows update - Similar Threads - Loosing full rights

2. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  3. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  4. Full control permissions and Access rights

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  5. Full control permissions and Access rights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  6. Full control permissions and Access rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. How to Deny Full Control of this Registry Key?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Deny Full Control of this Registry Key?: Hi, everyone I hope to deny the full control permission of administrator account on registry key named as "HKCU:\Control Panel\Keyboard". I have some failed PowerShell command codes, please you correct them. Thanks a lot. The failed PowerShell command codes as following....
  8. Laptop loose his Windows key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop loose his Windows key: Hello everyone. I got a laptop computer that came with W10 preinstalled and all was good for à year and half. Now it's started a few days ago, the computer tell me to "Activate W10". When I go to the activation panel it told me that no key can be found. When I troubleshoot...
  9. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  10. Windows 10 looses internent access after shutdown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 looses internent access after shutdown: So I upgraded to the October update when it came out on October 2nd and since then when I shut down my computer for the night and then start it up for the day the next day I have no internet connection and so I will have to let my computer start up and then connect to the...