Windows 10: Lose all windows positions when switching DELL monitor off/on

Discus and support Lose all windows positions when switching DELL monitor off/on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Despite much googling I've still not resolved this and it's driving me nuts! I have a DELL U2415 24" monitor. If I switch it off with the button at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Terrypin Win User

Lose all windows positions when switching DELL monitor off/on

Despite much googling I've still not resolved this and it's driving me nuts!

I have a DELL U2415 24" monitor. If I switch it off with the button at bottom right and back on again, all windows sizes and positions have been lost. They are then in some 'standard'-looking layout that would probably fit a smaller screen than my 1920 x 1200.

I've also raised it earlier in the DELL forum but so far no reply and email contact is apparently not possible.

I recall raising the same problem in the DELL forum about two years ago, but cannot locate it now. And anyway it was never resolved there. Obviously I somehow got it resolved later, but here it is again ;-(

Help on fixing this would be warmly appreciated please.

Terry
    Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1411) - 'up to date'.

:)

Terrypin, Feb 28, 2021

2. Dell Monitor Camera

I have a Dell Monitor hooked to a Dell XPS Laptop. I want to use the monitor camera not the laptop camera. I've tried the suggestions from a closed thread about activating the camera but when I try the steps it keeps going to the laptop camera.

Suggestions or am I asking the impossible.

SandyM-798, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Toggle Monitor Positions

Thanks for the suggestions. It is not quite what I am looking for. Here is better description of my set up:

Main monitor: Dell Canvas 27 touch screen. I operate windows almost exclusively with touch controls and the Dell Canvas Pen with the Canvas monitor on top of my desk.

Extended Monitor: 27 inch MSI non touch screen monitor.

I use lots of creative software that requires multiple plugin windows open at once that need to be manipulated, while being able to see the changes in the other open windows. A great way to do this for me is to have say 6 windows open on each monitor.
    I would like to be able to quickly change monitor 1 and 2 back and forth so I can control all windows with touch and pen controls.

I have worked on drawing tablets before that have hardware buttons to do this (im guessing a simple HDMI switch). Certainly windows can do this without having to rely on a hardware switch?

Thanks!

Bishop Felshar, Feb 28, 2021
  4. lvgandhi Win User

no sound after connection dell monitor through hdmi

Thanks for the response. I have done it already as you suggested and now all OK.

lvgandhi, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Lose all windows positions when switching DELL monitor off/on - Similar Threads - Lose positions switching

2. Windows explorer changes position when switching monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer changes position when switching monitors: I would like to report a bug and find a solution how to get rid of this behavior. A window that is moved between two monitors slightly changes position between moves back and forth.Below is a recording of a window being moved between two monitors with window+shift+arrow...
  3. Windows explorer changes position when switching monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer changes position when switching monitors: I would like to report a bug and find a solution how to get rid of this behavior. A window that is moved between two monitors slightly changes position between moves back and forth.Below is a recording of a window being moved between two monitors with window+shift+arrow...
  4. Windows explorer changes position when switching monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Multiple monitors keep changing position when I turn off/on one of the monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple monitors keep changing position when I turn off/on one of the monitors: I have 3 monitors, 1 HDMI 1 DisplayPort 1 DVI on a GTX 1080 when I turn one of them off or turn them on the screen flashes black and my monitors position changes as well as the wallpaper how do I fix this, I wish I could turn monitors on and off without this happing...
  6. Multiple monitors keep changing position when I turn off/on one of the monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple monitors keep changing position when I turn off/on one of the monitors: I have 3 monitors, 1 HDMI 1 DisplayPort 1 DVI on a GTX 1080 when I turn one of them off or turn them on the screen flashes black and my monitors position changes as well as the wallpaper how do I fix this, I wish I could turn monitors on and off without this happing...
  7. Multiple monitors keep changing position when I turn off/on one of the monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Monitor losing signal when speakers turned off

Monitor losing signal when speakers turned off: Hello this is odd, My Monitor looses its signal when the speakers are turned off the speakers are plugged into a mains wall socket and when turn them off, at the socket, the monitor goes blank, if I remove and reconnect the monitor power, all is ok again. wonder how why this...
  9. Losing audio playback when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Losing audio playback when monitor turns off: I can't seem to figure out my audio pauses when my monitor turns off. I recently built a new PC and I didn't have this problem before, the only thing that changed was my hardware. I have a DisplayPort connected to my GPU and monitor and I have self-powered speakers connected...
  10. Monitor Will Not Switch Off...

Monitor Will Not Switch Off...: Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I've set my monitor to turn off after 10minutes in "Power saving" but it doesn't turn off. It stays on all night... Anyone know what I can do? Thanks! 70214