Windows 10: Losing all computer files

Discus and support Losing all computer files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every time my computer turns off when I turn it back on I have no files -they have all been put into my user file. They have all disappeared off my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RKD2020, May 28, 2020.

1. RKD2020 Win User

Losing all computer files

Every time my computer turns off when I turn it back on I have no files -they have all been put into my user file. They have all disappeared off my desktop etc.

This didn't start until I added Microsoft edge-and after the most recent Microsoft update

What is happening?

:)

RKD2020, May 28, 2020
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, May 28, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Reinstall windows 10 without losing data

Hi Chris,

It is important to know what was the result of running chkdsk, as this will help us determine if this is a possible hard drive failure. Can you tell us what was the result of chkdsk?

However, if the result did not find any errors, then you can check for corruption in the system files that is preventing your computer from booting up. We suggest that you run the System File Checker tool to address this. Use the installation media to run
    the tool.

• Connect the installation media to your computer and then turn it on.
    • On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how
      to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Command prompt.
    • Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

• Once done, restart the computer.
    If still your computer is unable to boot up, then we recommend you refresh your PC. You're not going to lose any files as long as you choose this option. However, we cannot guarantee that you're not going to lose any programs. To do this , follow these steps:

• Connect the installation media to your computer and then turn it on.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot >Refresh your PC.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Mark Ole, May 28, 2020
  4. Losing all computer files

Windows 10 losing focus

Hi John,

We need more information to better assist you:

• Does this happen while browsing the web? Have you tried other browsers?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the System File Checker to repair missing or corrupted files. Click this
    link for the steps.

Keep us updated with the results.

Regards.

Armand Cos, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Losing all computer files

1. Losing all computer files - Similar Threads - Losing computer files

2. Switch administrators without losing all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch administrators without losing all files: My mom has been using my old desktop and apparently all the files she had on. It was copying onto my gaming PC desktop. I need to find a way to remove myself as administrator without deleting all of her files. I already created an account for her and her account administrator...
  3. Switch administrators without losing all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch administrators without losing all files: My mom has been using my old desktop and apparently all the files she had on. It was copying onto my gaming PC desktop. I need to find a way to remove myself as administrator without deleting all of her files. I already created an account for her and her account administrator...
  4. Switch administrators without losing all files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Why Is My Computer Losing All Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Is My Computer Losing All Internet: Hello,I've got a mini PC running Windows 10, and it keeps losing internet connection. I'm connecting through WIFI, and none of my other devices have this issue. When it first boots up, everything works fine. After about 5 minutes however, the internet inexplicably cuts out....
  6. Why Is My Computer Losing All Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Is My Computer Losing All Internet: Hello,I've got a mini PC running Windows 10, and it keeps losing internet connection. I'm connecting through WIFI, and none of my other devices have this issue. When it first boots up, everything works fine. After about 5 minutes however, the internet inexplicably cuts out....
  7. Why Is My Computer Losing All Internet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Reinstall Windows whitout losing all personal files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Windows whitout losing all personal files?: Hi, I recently had some system files that were damaged and did not get fixed with a system reboot. My hard drive is partitioned in 3, the C which contains Windows and the other two for personal files and I would like to know if it is possible to reinstall Windows on the C...
  9. Why when I restart my computer I lose all my files ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why when I restart my computer I lose all my files ?: when I push the button to restart my computer ,for an upgrade on one of my apps that needs to restart to install, i will lose all my contents of my folders like pictures , documents, downloads . I need help to fix this problem....
  10. Losing Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing Files: Here's the problem. For some reason, Windows 10 deletes everything from my Explorer Downloads file save for my Kindle content file daily. Luckily, I have all my Downloaded information stored on a separate portable drive, but it's ridiculous that I have to reload all of my...