Windows 10: Losing gamma setting with monitor sleep

Discus and support Losing gamma setting with monitor sleep in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Power Options is set to send my monitor to sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity. Problem is the gamma setting is out of whack when I wake the monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by larc919, Feb 4, 2021.

1. larc919 Win User

Losing gamma setting with monitor sleep

Power Options is set to send my monitor to sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity. Problem is the gamma setting is out of whack when I wake the monitor (too dark). I have to reboot to correct it. In fact, it corrects immediately after I select restart, even while the home screen is still showing. Is there anything that will keep the gamma setting from changing with monitor sleep or that will correct it other than having to resort to restart? Also, would the problem be less likely to happen if I used Nvidia Control Panel for settings with my Nvidia 1050 Ti rather than using Windows Display to set the color profile?

:)

larc919, Feb 4, 2021

2. The gamma setting of my monitor.

I have LG 204WT and have also set my gamma settings to -50. If set to normal or more I find colours really washed out. I think that with gamma set to -50 you get more realistic colours. I have set my brightness to 40 and contrast to 60. I˙m generally very satisfied with this monitor.

First I bougt a Samsung 226BW and I returned it to store the same day. Main reason was the colour bleeding at the bottom of the monitor. Second reason was that it was way much to bright. Could not set it. I don`t really know how this monitor got such good reviews.

So if LG gives you an option to set gamma to minus 50, why not. I prefer dark colours to be actually dark. Problem with LCD monitors is that they can not present the black colours as well as CRT monitors.

Cheers!*Toast :toast:

DirtyHarry, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Darknova Win User
    The gamma setting of my monitor.

I know with my Dell E207WFP I have to set the gamma to the lowest it'll go via CCC to get the best picture (i believe it's -20).

I think it depends on the panel. This monitor uses a TN panel, which I've noticed has the same issues (needing to turn gamma down), where as monitors that use an IPS or SIPS panel don't need to and have outstanding colour from standard.

Again, this is only from what I've seen myself.

Darknova, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Losing gamma setting with monitor sleep

The gamma setting of my monitor.

Ever since I purchased the monitor in my system specs like a month ago, I left most of the settings on default except brightness and contrast which I adjusted to my liking.

Today I decided to experiment a bit with the gamma. I had never done so on my previous LCD's and CRT's because the default setting had always been the best. Too high and I got a washed out image, too low and I got an unnaturally dark image.

My monitor has got 3 gamma settings. The default is 0, then lower is -50 and higher is +50.

I decided to experiment because I've got my dad's laptop next to my monitor and am noticing the somewhat sharper and better images. I've even put the same desktop background to compare.

First I set my monitor to +50 and the image was really really washed out. At 0 I knew what it looked like. Then I put it at -50, the only remaining setting and the minimum, and I got a magnificent picture! Not too bright, with awesome realistically-full colours, very natural!

I am asking because is it normal to have one's monitor on the minimum gamma setting to get the best picture?

Taking a screenshot would be futile obviously, I was planning to take some camera pictures but I have some problems with my camera.

Thank you!

Black Panther, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Losing gamma setting with monitor sleep

1. Losing gamma setting with monitor sleep - Similar Threads - Losing gamma setting

2. Monitor is set to sleep, but will not sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor is set to sleep, but will not sleep.: I feel like I've tried everything I've seen online for ways to fix this and nothing has worked. Randomly a few days ago it was working as intended, but now it is back to not operating correctly. I have no idea what to do.......
  3. Monitor is set to sleep, but will not sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor is set to sleep, but will not sleep.: I feel like I've tried everything I've seen online for ways to fix this and nothing has worked. Randomly a few days ago it was working as intended, but now it is back to not operating correctly. I have no idea what to do.......
  4. My gamma settings are broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My gamma settings are broken: Hi. I have been trying to solve this issue for months now to no avail, and have finally decided to make a public post about it. A few months ago, my cat sat on my keyboard, and in doing so somehow changed the gamma settings in a way that I have been unable to properly reset...
  5. My gamma settings are broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My gamma settings are broken: Hi. I have been trying to solve this issue for months now to no avail, and have finally decided to make a public post about it. A few months ago, my cat sat on my keyboard, and in doing so somehow changed the gamma settings in a way that I have been unable to properly reset...
  6. My gamma settings are broken

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Gamma and color settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gamma and color settings: My gamma and color settings resets every time I boot up my laptopBut when I click notifications or go to display settings then my gamma and color settings return to normal....
  8. Gamma color setting reseting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gamma color setting reseting: Every time I go to a different tab or open a game the gamma on my monitor resets. It says the same gamma number on the Nvidia control panel but I have to move the bar for the gamma to go back to normal....
  9. Gamma and brightness not editable with dual monitor.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Gamma and brightness not editable with dual monitor.: Hello, Since update 1909 of Windows 10 i can't change gamma or brightness when i connect an external monitor but it work when i have only one monitor or i duplicate screen. i have try software like gamma control or ClickMonitorDDC i want to use software like that not amd...
  10. Problem with Gamma settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with Gamma settings: I have a problem with colors on my screen. My email pages and some other web pages look white. I found out that the gamma setting are too high and made them as low as possible. It helped and the colors got better. But after booting the system the issue gets back. Gammar...