Windows 10: Losing network connectivity in standby even with it enabled

Discus and support Losing network connectivity in standby even with it enabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks im on win version 20h2 mobo gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0) with latest bios Ryzen 5 3600 cpu im having some weird issue i cant figure out,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mudflapp, May 4, 2021.

1. Mudflapp Win User

Losing network connectivity in standby even with it enabled

Hi folks im on win version 20h2 mobo gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0) with latest bios Ryzen 5 3600 cpu im having some weird issue i cant figure out, with my network disconnecting when computer goes to sleep. I have tried a lot of settings without any sucess, including trying diffrent networkcards, onboard intel I211, a tp-link pcie card, and today a new ethernet to usb linksys adapter. I checked the bios setting to make sure Gigabytes erp was turned off and other powersaving things that i assume might be related. This is some of what i tried; Going to power options, make sure network connectivity in standby is enabled, usb selective suspend is disabled, pcie link state powermanagment is off. wireless perfomance is set to maximum, but im only using ethernet cards. Gone to device manager- properties- power managment, unchecked allow to turn this decive off, gone to the advanced tab, disabled energy efficent ethernet, disabled selective suspend. I also gone to group policy manager and under power settings and sleep, i enabled allow network connectivy in standby on both plugged in and on battery (although computer is a desktop). I dont know if this issue always been here since i went to win 10 about a year and a half ago, i had issues with computer not waking up after sleep, so i disabled sleep all together. However, i did change some settings after googling to try fix the not waking up again issue, but i cant for the life of me remember what i did. The "fixes" attempted didnt work, however it seems after some windows updates (possibly gigabytes last bios also), the not waking up issue is fixed, but im wondering if the fixes i applied is the cause of the less of network issue now. I thought maybe the quick and easy fix was to use the ethernet to usb adapter, but no, windows still turns it off. is there any way to see whats causing the network to turn off when going to sleep, like a log or something? Anything in the registry that can overrule gpedit and force the network off? at this point im not sure what to do other than trying a refresh of windows, but i rather not if i can avoid it. Any tips and suggestions is very welcome, Thanks in Advance

:)

Mudflapp, May 4, 2021

2. Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, May 4, 2021
  3. Mudflapp Win User

Hi folks

im on win version 20h2
    mobo gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0) with latest bios
    Ryzen 5 3600 cpu

im having some weird issue i cant figure out, with my network disconnecting when computer goes to sleep.
    I have tried a lot of settings without any sucess, including trying diffrent networkcards, onboard intel I211, a tp-link pcie card, and today a new ethernet to usb linksys adapter. I checked the bios setting to make sure Gigabytes erp was turned off and other powersaving things that i assume might be related.

This is some of what i tried;
    Going to power options, make sure network connectivity in standby is enabled, usb selective suspend is disabled, pcie link state powermanagment is off. wireless perfomance is set to maximum, but im only using ethernet cards.

Gone to device manager- properties- power managment, unchecked allow to turn this decive off, gone to the advanced tab, disabled energy efficent ethernet, disabled selective suspend.

I also gone to group policy manager and under power settings and sleep, i enabled allow network connectivy in standby on both plugged in and on battery (although computer is a desktop).

I dont know if this issue always been here since i went to win 10 about a year and a half ago, i had issues with computer not waking up after sleep, so i disabled sleep all together. However, i did change some settings after googling to try fix the not waking up again issue, but i cant for the life of me remember what i did. The "fixes" attempted didnt work, however it seems after some windows updates (possibly gigabytes last bios also), the not waking up issue is fixed, but im wondering if the fixes i applied is the cause of the less of network issue now.

I thought maybe the quick and easy fix was to use the ethernet to usb adapter, but no, windows still turns it off.

is there any way to see whats causing the network to turn off when going to sleep, like a log or something?
    Anything in the registry that can overrule gpedit and force the network off?

at this point im not sure what to do other than trying a refresh of windows, but i rather not if i can avoid it.

Any tips and suggestions is very welcome, Thanks in Advance

Mudflapp, May 4, 2021
  4. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

t0yz, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Losing network connectivity in standby even with it enabled - Similar Threads - Losing network connectivity

2. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Customization
    Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby: i bought the X1 Carbon Gen9. when i download something via firefox and it takes e.g. 5 hours slow download server, due to modern standby or normal standby, the download some when stops. i read this page: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standbyhowever, i...
  3. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby: i bought the X1 Carbon Gen9. when i download something via firefox and it takes e.g. 5 hours slow download server, due to modern standby or normal standby, the download some when stops. i read this page: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standbyhowever, i...
  4. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. losing network connection while copying

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    losing network connection while copying: I use robocopy to back up files to a networked PC.Often times, before copying is finished, I'd lose the network connection. The log file from robocopy says can't find network path. When I go to the other PC, I find that it has gone into sleep. I touch a key, any key, to...
  6. no network connection in power and sleep to change from connected standby to disconnected...

no network connection in power and sleep to change from connected standby to disconnected...: My laptop has shipped with modern stanby and this is a connected standby. There is no any option of network connection in power and sleep so i can change from connected standby to disconnected standby. Network connected standby drains too much power I always turn on airplane...
  7. I keep Losing internet connection even though I'm connected to a Wireless Network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I keep Losing internet connection even though I'm connected to a Wireless Network.: Just as the title says, I keep losing internet Connection even though I'm connected to my home wireless network. when running the troubleshooter it says "Your Computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource * is not responding" where the * changes...
  8. Losing Network Connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Losing Network Connectivity: Hello everyone, I started having issues with my network connection last week. My PC is currently fully updated as well. After a certain time of being logged into my PC, I lose internet connectivity, everything that is currently working whether in a program or a browser still...
  9. Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled

Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled: I have the surface pro 4 and i had as ive used it ive noticed bad battery life anywhere between 2 and a half hours or 3 hours of web browsing. So i was looking online and I saw that disabling connected standby might help. So i did and it increased my battery life to up to 4...
  10. Enable or Disable Network Connections while in Modern Standby on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Network Connections while in Modern Standby on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]With every newer generation of computers, these devices are getting mobile and faster. Chips are becoming smarter to serve faster wake up from standby, faster charging, more power efficiency and more. The newest generation of these chips supports the S0 [...]...