Windows 10: Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless

Discus and support Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hoping someone out there has experienced and resolved this or has a clue for me to try. Thanks all and all responses appreciated. BACKGROUND: Some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GregoryDavis, May 29, 2020.

1. Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless

Hoping someone out there has experienced and resolved this or has a clue for me to try. Thanks all and all responses appreciated.

BACKGROUND:

Some background first so as to avoid confusion. I have been researching a fix for a long time and have tried a lot! I am also a programmer with much IT experience as well.

I have been using my setup successfully for years and in the past many month shave a reoccurring problem. My laptop of course has a Ethernet port and WiFi as well. When working from desk I use a docking station that connects via the Ethernet port and when I remove the laptop to work elsewhere in the building, I use WiFi. I use the Ethernet rarely…mainly when I am doing backups where there is transfers of large amounts of files, so the WiFi is very important as I move around the building.

THE PROBLEM:
    I have been doing this for successfully for years and then some months ago…maybe even six month ago I can’t remember…when I am using network shares via my WiFi all is good. I connect via the Ethernet and all is good. When I disconnect the Ethernet and go back to WiFi, the network shares fail with “The Network path was not found.” With the shares inaccessible, I still have Internet access as well as being able to Remote Desktop into the PC where the inaccessible shares exist. I can then plug in the Ethernet and all works again.

Because I have so many programming projects, I am like the Cobbler’s son who does not have shoes and have been using quick fixes. I found that I could do random things that sometimes worked like forget the network or disabling the Ethernet adapter. Eventually I could get the WiFi to work until the next time I needed the Ethernet connection. Or at least I used to. It did it again as I am writing this, and I can’t get the WiFi back.

MORE INFO:

When I cannot access the shares via WiFi, I cannot see the PCs at all, but sometimes I can see a Network Drive with shares on it that I use for backups while not seeing the my PC server with its shares for example. Sometimes I cannot see either device. Oddly, I can still remote desktop into the serer PC and ping it as well, but not access the shares or even see the PC. I have Discovery enabled, the WiFi connection is private with “File and Printer Sharing” checked. I have reinstalled drivers and all that as well.

To reiterate, I can connect the Ethernet and everything returns to normal. Disconnect and the WiFi fails. Sometimes I can try like I mentioned, forgetting the WiFi connection and it will not work, but after I try enough of these “fixes” it will eventually work, but it must be some combination of “fixes” that restores it and I have not found the pattern.

:)

GregoryDavis, May 29, 2020
  2. Fablezim Win User

Sharing between wired/wireless network at home

Hey all,

I've done a lot of searching for this but can't seem to find an answer (and maybe there isn't one!), but I am trying to have my new laptop (windows 10) appear in the Network tab on my desktop (also windows 10). The issue is my desktop is plugged in using
    ethernet that connects to a switch, that connects to the router, and the laptop is using the wireless directly from the router. My desktop has no issues detecting other things plugged into the switch, but it won't seem to find anything on the wireless network.

This also makes it difficult to map network drives as it should be looking for something over the wireless network but sometimes has issues getting there. Is there a way to primarily make my laptop simply appear in the Network list from my desktop?

Thanks!

Fablezim, May 29, 2020
  3. brummyfan Win User
    Wireless network issue

Right click start button(far left in task bar), go to Device manager, expand Network Adapters, right click Wi-Fi select Properties and find the version of your driver in Drivers tab.

Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless [​IMG]

brummyfan, May 29, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless

wireless network

Vista or XP?

You need to go in and delete the network. Then it will pick it up again, and ask you to enter the key again.

On Vista, you do this by going into Networking and Sharing Center. The click on Customize, then click on Merge or delete network locations. Find the SSID of the router in the list, and delete it.

On XP, I believe you have to go to Network Connections, then right click on your Wireless Adaptor. Go to Status, and there should be a button to Manage Wireless Networks, that should take you to where you need to be to delete the network.

newtekie1, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless

1. Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless - Similar Threads - Losing Network Shares

2. Network sharing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network sharing between two laptops: I'm trying to connect access two laptops Windows 11 and Windows 10 together under the same network but keep getting the Network Credentials prompt. I've tried entering the correct user/password to no avail? All permissions in Network Sharing are correct. Any suggestions?...
  3. Network sharing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network sharing between two laptops: I'm trying to connect access two laptops Windows 11 and Windows 10 together under the same network but keep getting the Network Credentials prompt. I've tried entering the correct user/password to no avail? All permissions in Network Sharing are correct. Any suggestions?...
  4. Losing active pane in Explorer when switching between views

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Losing active pane in Explorer when switching between views: Hi,I've recently upgraded my laptop to Win 11 and everything seems fine but there is a change to Explorer that is driving my crazy. I might have 3,000 photos in a folder and, in working through them and editing photos as I go, I need to switch between Details view and Extra...
  5. Losing active pane in Explorer when switching between views

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Losing active pane in Explorer when switching between views: Hi,I've recently upgraded my laptop to Win 11 and everything seems fine but there is a change to Explorer that is driving my crazy. I might have 3,000 photos in a folder and, in working through them and editing photos as I go, I need to switch between Details view and Extra...
  6. network sharing between PC and Laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network sharing between PC and Laptop?: I have 3 drives on my PC with windows 10. Need to share on of these drives with my laptop with windows 10.These 2 units are placed in different rooms with the same network at home.Thanks...
  7. Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks

Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks: My PC has two Gb Ethernet adapters and a WiFi adapter. One of the Ethernet ports is not connected to anything and the other is connected to the router via a Gb switch. The router provides three WiFi networks: KRPMD, KRPMD-5G, and a hidden guest network. I've just replaced...
  8. Sharing between wired/wireless network at home

Sharing between wired/wireless network at home: Hey all, I've done a lot of searching for this but can't seem to find an answer (and maybe there isn't one!), but I am trying to have my new laptop (windows 10) appear in the Network tab on my desktop (also windows 10). The issue is my desktop is plugged in using ethernet...
  9. Losing wired connection

Losing wired connection: This has happened multiple times on my desktop which was upgraded to Win 10 so it is a real problem. The desktop is on a wired connection. At some point I will see that I have lost the internet connection. When this happens it doesn't automatically connect to wireless, it...
  10. How to setup a wired network between routers

How to setup a wired network between routers: Hi there I am trying to set up a wired network with the following: Main router linked to internet = Asus DSL N66U with IP set to 192.168.1.1 (network 1) I have then wired a link to the following Tenda wireless N300 Router IP 192.168.1.1 (network 2) I was not able to add...