Windows 10: Losing shares after reboot

Discus and support Losing shares after reboot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've looked and haven't found the exact problem, but I'm sure there are others. I just got a new laptop, I have a lot of information on the old laptop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wt.pm, Aug 6, 2020.

1. wt.pm Win User

Losing shares after reboot

I've looked and haven't found the exact problem, but I'm sure there are others. I just got a new laptop, I have a lot of information on the old laptop, I didn't want to move to the new one, but still need access to. So I spent the time to go through all my files and rearrange and clean out so that everything was nice and organized, that was not part of the problem, just wanted you to know what I did before hand.

I started out by Mapping Network Drive, Then I went through Properties, and shared each folder, then I did the advanced sharing. I then went in and added each laptop that would have permission to access the shared file. As long as both computers are up and running, I can access any file I want to either way. But if I restart on of the computers, I not only lose my shares, but when I click on a shared file, I'm told that, that computer does not exist. So what do I need to do other than grab a sledge hammer.

:)

wt.pm, Aug 6, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Aug 6, 2020
  4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Losing shares after reboot - Similar Threads - Losing shares reboot

2. Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot: Hi,Some weeks ago I created a VPN at my home with OpenVPN 2.6.4. I installed server version on my home workstation Windows 10 Pro 22H2 version that I can access from my Android phone and other PCs out of my home. It worked well on these days on both client and server side,...
  3. Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Connection Sharing ICS stop after reboot: Hi,Some weeks ago I created a VPN at my home with OpenVPN 2.6.4. I installed server version on my home workstation Windows 10 Pro 22H2 version that I can access from my Android phone and other PCs out of my home. It worked well on these days on both client and server side,...
  4. Windows 10 PC Loses it's IPv6 Address after Reboot

Windows 10 PC Loses it's IPv6 Address after Reboot: My Windows 10 PC loses it's IPv6 Address after I turn off my PC or I reboot it. The only way to get it back is with the command: "netsh winsock reset" and a reboot afterwards.This has persisted through multiple Windows Updates. Other Devices on the same network have an IPv6...
  5. Desktop and Laptop lose sharing

Desktop and Laptop lose sharing: I have two Windows 10 machines: a desktop running 1909 18363.657 and a laptop running 1909 18363.592. If both machines are re-started at the same time, the machines can share files and the laptop can print to the printer connected to the desktop. But, when I close the lid on...
  6. USB speakers lose sound after Sleep - OK after reboot.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB speakers lose sound after Sleep - OK after reboot.: Apologies if I'm putting this int he wrong place - this is my first post here, be gentle with me. I've set up a new Dell Optiplex 5070 tower with Windows 10 and it's all patched up to current levels as of 30th Jan. I'm not currently in front of the box, hence no Windows...
  7. USB speakers lose sound after Sleep - OK after reboot.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB speakers lose sound after Sleep - OK after reboot.: Apologies if I'm putting this int he wrong place - this is my first post here, be gentle with me. I've set up a new Dell Optiplex 5070 tower with Windows 10 and it's all patched up to current levels as of 30th Jan. I'm not currently in front of the box, hence no Windows...
  8. Windows 10 network shares disappear after reboot.

Windows 10 network shares disappear after reboot.: Hi, I am having a real difficult time getting my shares to stay. I have enabled all neccessary services and windows SMB1. Shared everything in network shares. Did a network reset. Everything works fine until I reboot a pc. Now I am working with 8 diffrent PC’s. So its not...
  9. reboot loses printer!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reboot loses printer!: Every time I reboot my computer, I'm unable to print from any program (Word, Publisher, etc.). I CAN (finally) print a test page but nothing comes up when doing a File>Print command. I've removed and reloaded the driver. I (finally) see that the printer is default (it was...
  10. Windows 10 loses customisations after reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 loses customisations after reboot: Hi fellow Win 10 users My wife and I both have exactly the same computer - HP Touchsmart 620 - upgraded from Win 7. Our preferences include hiding the Language/Keyboard icon by customising the Taskbar & Start Menu options, and also turning off the touch screen function which...