Windows 10: losing system restore points

Discus and support losing system restore points in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop, bought in March. I had another problem and the tech couldn't find system restore. I did a complete restore of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EdKratzWD, Jun 25, 2020.

1. EdKratzWD Win User

losing system restore points

I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop, bought in March. I had another problem and the tech couldn't find system restore.
    I did a complete restore of my system, configured system restore, and it seemed to work. But then I discovered after a half hour get the message there are no restore points.

I tried the following:

, ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Went to 100% and got message the operation completed successfully
    Then ran sfc /scannow
    Got following result:
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Created anther resource point which vanished in an hour or so.

3:00 turned system restore off and on again raised space to10%

created another restore point

3:29 checked and it was gone. Less than a half hour

4:00 ran services.msc , checked volume shadow copy
    it was running, but changed the startup type to automatic

created restore point at 4:19

in two hours it was gone again.

Can anyone offer any advice ?
    Dell has pretty much given up suggesting a reinstall of the OS and wipe out of my data.

Years ago at work we used to use Acronis. Does anyone know if that could provide the function of system restore on a external drive ?

I don't need data back up. I'm really happy with Carbonite.

I'd really appreciate any advice or help.

:)

EdKratzWD, Jun 25, 2020
  2. Word Man Win User

Losing restore points

Have you already ruled out that you are losing restore points because each new one would exceed the limit you've allocated for restore point storage? See Step 8 in Option 1 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Word Man, Jun 25, 2020
  3. jellyroll Win User
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (Closing system restore points :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (Closing system restore points :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jun 25, 2020
  4. losing system restore points

losing restore points in vista

well i found out wich program was eraseing my restore points it was acronis true image 10 so i disabled system restore becouse i rether use ati any way

skellattarr, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

losing system restore points

1. losing system restore points - Similar Threads - losing system restore

2. System Restore in WIN10 keeps losing retsore points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore in WIN10 keeps losing retsore points: How do I control System Restore in WIN10? System Restore use to be a very good tool years ago for computer repair and support, but now isn't very useful. I have set aside a sizable amount of space for restore points but they keep disappearing without my intervention. How do I...
  3. System Restore in WIN10 keeps losing retsore points

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore in WIN10 keeps losing retsore points: How do I control System Restore in WIN10? System Restore use to be a very good tool years ago for computer repair and support, but now isn't very useful. I have set aside a sizable amount of space for restore points but they keep disappearing without my intervention. How do I...
  4. System Restore in WIN10 keeps losing retsore points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  6. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  7. System restore restore point

8. System Restore Point

System Restore Point: When I tried to use a restore to a system restore point. Windows asked for a password. I tried every password I knew, including local and microsoft account. I even tried to reintall windows and reset it. None worked, what can I do?...
  9. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  10. Losing restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Losing restore points: I keep creating restore points everytime I change something on my Tablet. A week later, the restore point is gone. Could there be anything that could remove it as malware or something? I have Panda Antivirus, Malware Anti Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware and Ccleaner. Could...