Windows 10: Losing the drive letter on drive

Discus and support Losing the drive letter on drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a WD Elements 2TB drive and my computer will not hold the designated drive letter, I can give it the drive letter E but each time I close down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Harry the Book, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Losing the drive letter on drive

I have a WD Elements 2TB drive and my computer will not hold the designated drive letter, I can give it the drive letter E but each time I close down and restart I have to give it the drive letter again.

Any help would be appreciated Harry

:)

Harry the Book, Sep 1, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Sep 1, 2020
  4. Losing the drive letter on drive

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hi Bill

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Did you go through these steps to assign the drive letters you prefer?

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

Andre for Directly, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Losing the drive letter on drive

1. Losing the drive letter on drive - Similar Threads - Losing drive letter

2. Mapping One Drive to a drive letter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping One Drive to a drive letter: I've gone through the procedure for mapping Onedrive to a drive letter. I attempt to map the drive to "https://d.docs.live.net/MyCID" , but get an "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: Access is denied" error. I get the same...
  3. USB losing drive letter after each removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB losing drive letter after each removal: Hey all:So, this issue has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days. I have a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0/2.0 flash drive. I wanted to change the OS of a PC I have permanently plugged in my TV from Windows 11 to a lighter, Linux distro. I chose Solus Budgie...
  4. USB losing drive letter after each removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB losing drive letter after each removal: Hey all:So, this issue has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days. I have a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0/2.0 flash drive. I wanted to change the OS of a PC I have permanently plugged in my TV from Windows 11 to a lighter, Linux distro. I chose Solus Budgie...
  5. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  6. External HDD always losing drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD always losing drive letter: I have a Laptop Thus i cant install my HDD's anymore, and i bought an external Dock. The Dock is working fine, comes with some usb§ connections and such, all good for a while But now after a year it starts to just "forget" the letter of one of the two HDD's. In my Drive Dock...
  7. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  8. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: How do you add or change the flash drive letters? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/2bd3eb65-decb-4598-ade6-c73118a79b0a
  9. Drive Letter

Drive Letter: I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has...
  10. Drive Letters

Drive Letters: When I plug a USB stick in any USB port the laptop allocates the next available letter to this drive - "E" - this applies to any USB stick I normally use. EXCEPT for one particular USB stcik which always shows up as "G" even though "E" and "F" are available. What's...