Windows 10: Losing WIFI

Discus and support Losing WIFI in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Still losing wifi sporadically for no apparent reason. Other devices still working on same wifi router, so signal is not a problem. It drops off at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by carrotmuseum, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Losing WIFI

Still losing wifi sporadically for no apparent reason. Other devices still working on same wifi router, so signal is not a problem. It drops off at least once a day.

Tried all the recommended fixes including updated drivers, down-shifting to 802.11b.

Only "solution" is to disconnect and reconnect. Feels like going back to dial up days!! This part of Win 10 is appalling - NOT an improvement. And of course it always happens as the most inopportune time.

I initially went back to Win 7 and it all worked fine for over a week without one issue. As soon as I returned to Win 10 it started immediately, so it's definitely a Win 10 issue.

Anyone really got true progress on this one - VERY frustrating?

:)

carrotmuseum, Oct 27, 2015

2. Losing WiFi

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, but the problem seems to be fixed by itself, I think it is due to WiFi interference.

Ong Eng Hui, Oct 27, 2015
  3. Losing WiFi

Hello,

please make sure that you go to Settings > Date+ time > and check if the setting is set up as Automatically off
    and if the time needs to be set up, please do that manually.

Region and language settings need to be also correct.

Please make sure that the phone does not work also with other Wifi connection and that the wifi connection works with other devices.

You logged in with a MS account to the phone , is that correct?

Have a nice day,

Ladislau

Ladislau G., Oct 27, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Losing WIFI

Windows Update tries to replace old drivers, even if they work perfectly. The generic driver installed by Windows Update is not 100% compatible with your WiFi card and hence the problems. Install the old driver again and then see this tutorial how to hide any driver updates so they are excluded.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  5. This is OBVIOUSLY a common problem, and Win 10 seems to be to blame. But.... I had this problem with my new Asus Zenbook 305 immediately after Windows did it's initial check for updates and applied them. The new computer is virtually worthless since it will not hold a connection. ALWAYS says that Default Gateway Is Not Available, and it get fixed for a while with the troubleshooter, and then begins again.

WHY isn't Microsoft doing something to address this? It seem clear that it IS caused by the updates, and that it isn't an isolated problem.

Bookbear1948, Oct 28, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Microsoft tries to force all updates in an attempt to lock pirated systems. In previous Windows versions one would simply block some updates or disable Windows Update and would be certain that Windows will stay activated. In Windows 10 a new update might deactivate and block a pirated copy. However, they have realized that forcing driver updates has caused problems and hence they provided the tool (see tutorial) to hide unwanted updates. So the only workaround for driver problems is to install old working drivers and hide the relevant updates so they are not automatically replaced. Hopefully newer builds of Windows 10 will allow us to choose or disable driver updates without the need of the tool.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  7. Inundated Win User
    Did you read the message you quoted and try the suggestions?

I'm very much looking forward to you being able to solve this.

Inundated, Oct 28, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Losing WIFI

Yes, as said in my first reply, install again the working drivers and use the tool in the tutorial to hide driver updates so they won't install next time.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  9. Hi,

I have the same issue as the OP. To try and resolve the issue, following the advice in this thread I have:

1. installed the toshiba wireless lan driver for my PC
    2. completed option 3 of this thread
    3. I have been unable to complete the rest of this thread as when I run the tool I cannot see a windows wireless lan driver to hide.

I continue to lose wifi connectivity on my laptop, usually when I have left it sitting for a while.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for how to resolve this frustrating issue?

many thanks

Spec:
    Win 10 home (OTA upgrade from 8.1)
    Toshiba Kira-10D
    i7-5500u (integrated graphics)
    All drivers updated via windows update except the wifi lan driver
    BIOS 1.50 (latest)

The Megulator, Oct 29, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Can you identify the exact model of your WiFi card? Use a utility such as Aida64. Free version is OK, no need to register. Go to Devices->Windows Devices and browse to the WiFi adapter. The model is shown at the bottom of Aida64 window. Then download and install latest drivers. If it is Qualcomm-Atheros, get latest drivers from the unofficial Czech Atheros drivers site. Yesterday I got a customer's laptop to check for malware. It would connect to my WiFi network but only had local access, no internet. As soon as I updated the WiFi drivers it had no issue.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  11. Hi,

thanks for that advice. I have found that I have an intel wifi adapter and have installed the latest driver direct from intel. So far it seems to be working. I have restarted the laptop twice and installed other updates via windows update.

If the fix fails I'll come back for further advice but so far so good,

thanks again for your help.

The Megulator, Oct 29, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    You should be OK, unless Windows Update tries to replace the drivers. Run the utility every some days and if you see any Wi-Fi driver update hide it not to be installed.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  13. tomlarner Win User

Losing WIFI

This is an amalgam of suggestions by others that (finally) worked for me:
    I am up-to-date Win 10 on an Surface Pro 3
    *** Ridiculous as it sounds, setting the SP3 clock to the proper time seems to have a major positive effect on this problem.
    Turn off the [Set Time Automatically] Switch
    Set the time manually - Use the time on your cell phone. I leave the Auto time off and keep an eye on the time.
    *** This CMD deletes a line in your Registry that, if present, has some junk in it:
    Cmd prompt - admin
    REG DELETE HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f
    If you get an error, then the line is not in the Registry and no harm done.
    *** Do a Hyper-V switch:
    Turn off Hyper-V if it's on or turn it off if it's not / [Restart]
    I have been dealing with the same constant dropping of WiFi (every 24 hours max) that is prevalent among Win 10 users. This is the only combination of the ideas of others that has worked for me

tomlarner, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Losing WIFI

1. Losing WIFI - Similar Threads - Losing WIFI

2. Abruptly losing wifi connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Abruptly losing wifi connectivity: Off late I noticed my wifi connectivity getting disconnected abruptly. When I try to click on NETWORK SETTINGS, it does not open. I am forced to restart to get the connection back, often leading to losing unsaved data or restarting whatever work I was previously doing....
  3. Wifi Loses Connection when I walk away from laptop, and the laptop will not show all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Loses Connection when I walk away from laptop, and the laptop will not show all...: Hi there, I was coming here for help because I have an outdated HP Laptop on Windows 11 and it seems every time I walk back, the Wifi would disconnect and I'd only be able to use the laptop where the Wifi Router/box is. Not only that, the Wifi connections, including my...
  4. Wifi Loses Connection when I walk away from laptop, and the laptop will not show all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Loses Connection when I walk away from laptop, and the laptop will not show all...: Hi there, I was coming here for help because I have an outdated HP Laptop on Windows 11 and it seems every time I walk back, the Wifi would disconnect and I'd only be able to use the laptop where the Wifi Router/box is. Not only that, the Wifi connections, including my...
  5. My laptop will lose wifi connection and freeze needing a hard reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop will lose wifi connection and freeze needing a hard reset: this issue has been happening for a long time now and i even formated it and its still happening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-lose-wifi-connection-and-freeze/112d8d6b-4b84-469f-8142-56b0e31d2afb
  6. My laptop will lose wifi connection and freeze needing a hard reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop will lose wifi connection and freeze needing a hard reset: this issue has been happening for a long time now and i even formated it and its still happening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-lose-wifi-connection-and-freeze/112d8d6b-4b84-469f-8142-56b0e31d2afb
  7. My laptop will lose wifi connection and freeze needing a hard reset

8. Work laptop loses wifi connection after two minutes claiming something changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Work laptop loses wifi connection after two minutes claiming something changed: I installed a TP-Link Deco X50 Mesh wifi network and am having trouble with my windows work laptop.All my other smart devices such as Google Nest, lights, tv, Macs and consoles have no issues. I conntect with the network for 2 minutes and then it cuts the connection.When...
  9. Work laptop loses wifi connection after two minutes claiming something changed

Work laptop loses wifi connection after two minutes claiming something changed: I installed a TP-Link Deco X50 Mesh wifi network and am having trouble with my windows work laptop.All my other smart devices such as Google Nest, lights, tv, Macs and consoles have no issues. I conntect with the network for 2 minutes and then it cuts the connection.When...
  10. Work laptop loses wifi connection after two minutes claiming something changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing