Windows 10: Losing wired connection

Discus and support Losing wired connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This has happened multiple times on my desktop which was upgraded to Win 10 so it is a real problem. The desktop is on a wired connection. At some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bru, Aug 8, 2016.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Losing wired connection

This has happened multiple times on my desktop which was upgraded to Win 10 so it is a real problem.

The desktop is on a wired connection. At some point I will see that I have lost the internet connection. When this happens it doesn't automatically connect to wireless, it will say "Not connected" for the wireless adapter. I run diagnostics but it seems the wired adapter is (I think) disabled. I try to enable it and it says enabling>enabled but its status doesn't change. I have been able to get the wireless to connect by (I think) enabling>connecting but I want the desktop to be wired. Today a restart solved it, the wired connection was again working, but I don't want to have this keep repeating.

Would it be related to a driver for the wired adapter? It is Realtek PCIe GBI Family Controller with driver 9.1.402.2015

:)

2. Windows 10 losing internet (wired connection)

Have you tried with McAfee disabled? It is known to cause this type of problem

Please download this app (minitoolbox)
    Run it with "select all" checked
    Upload the output to one drive or any file sharing service
    Put a link to them in your next post

Please type each of these into an elevated command prompt after you have run the above and saved the file

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

NETSH winsock reset catalog

NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log

NETSH int ipv6 reset reset.log

Exit

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 8, 2016
  3. Pressy55 Win User
    Windows 10 losing internet (wired connection)

Recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop and Desktop PC. There have been many of the same questions that I have looked through on this community. Most are for WiFi issues which I have sorted out my laptop. But I can not find a fix that works on my desktop
    PC that is wired to my router.

I have tried installing new driver, it updated and I thought all was fine. 60 minutes later no connection again.

I have uninstalled device and tried reinstalling.

I have gone into the network adapter properties and disabled the "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" option which has helped on a fresh start up or when it comes out of sleep mode.

Network Troubleshooter says all is okay.

The only thing I have been able to do to get it to reconnect is type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt. This fixes the issues for an undetermined amount of time. I might get anywhere from 2 minutes to 60 minutes of internet before it disconnects.

I am using mcafee total protection and defender is disabled.

I am ripping out what remains of my hair. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Pressy55, Aug 8, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

Losing wired connection

Not sure why your ethernet is disconnecting but if you think it may be driver-related, then be advised I have a later driver than you and my ethernet never disconnects:

Losing wired connection [​IMG]

FYI, I did not download that driver (from Realtek) so it must have come from Windows Update. Good luck!

aardvark, Aug 8, 2016
  5. BRU
    bru Win User
    I don't know what is causing it. It only happened since the Win 10 upgrade so the driver came to mind.

6. aardvark Win User
    Understood, so start with trying to update your driver.

UPDATE:
    You could also try running without your wireless adapter plugged-in or disabled (if internal) to make sure that it is not contributing to your ethernet disconnecting issue.

aardvark, Aug 8, 2016
  7. zekeblue Win User
    Make sure your adapter settings don't allow shutting off for power savings. Device Manager -> Network Adaptors. Pick your adapter, right click, properties, power management tab.

zekeblue, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Losing wired connection

1. Losing wired connection - Similar Threads - Losing wired connection

2. Wired Network connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired Network connection.: Back in the early 2000’s, I ran ethernet to multiple computers in my house. For a while I was able to use it to do a lot of file and printer sharing in the home network, but for the last few years it’s been a lot more iffy, and I’m currently looking at my new Windows 11...
  3. Wired Ethernet Periodically Loses Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wired Ethernet Periodically Loses Connection: Hi Guys, I've got a really weird issue with my computer. Relevant specs: CPU: R9 3900X Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Max Winver: 19041.572 Every day my computers ethernet connection cuts out. The icon in the bottom right goes from Attachment 304577 to Attachment 304578...
  4. connection lose

connection lose: hello I need help every time i dont have my laptop charger plugged in i loose connection but when i have it plugged in i dont loose connection and youtube is not helping https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connection-lose/055cb0b6-e430-4eb7-b32a-abdad7969e4e
  5. Wired connection problem

Wired connection problem: I upgraded to version 2004 and it disabled all of our networking we have three wired computers all running windows 10 and a couple of laptops also running windows 10. I ended up reinstalling windows to the previous version because I could not get it to work with any...
  6. wired to wireless connect

wired to wireless connect: currently I have two ISPs. one that I've connected to "internet" via ethernet wire. I have a second ISP that I can connect to wirelessly. How do I change from the current wired connection to the wireless connection, Win 10 64....
  7. Computer loses wired Internet connection

Computer loses wired Internet connection: I've been having an annoying issue for quite a bit of time with my Windows 10 computer losing its wired Internet connection. It happens at "random" times, usually several weeks apart, though at some point it happened several times a day for a few days. The devices that are...
  8. Losing Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Losing Connection: Hi, I'm having problem with the internet connection. Everytime I play an online game, I will lost internet connection after about 5 - 10 minutes into the game and it happens ever single time. The wifi suddenly switch off, and after 15 - 20 seconds it turns back on itself but...
  9. Losing connection

Losing connection: Hi, Hopefully some kind sole will be able to help me. I had a problem with windows 10 pro in that it wouldn't let you view any you tube video plus a few other issues. So I decided to do a clean install which was successful apart from when I use windows explorer which after...
  10. Wired desktop loses internet

Wired desktop loses internet: On July 30, I went down to comcast to change the old Arries modem for one of those all in one modem/wireless gate way. Reason why the change, the old Arries modem was hooked up to the old router (Linksys one from '08) of ours. I plugged everything to the new modem and...