Windows 10: Loss of administrator access

Discus and support Loss of administrator access in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have lost ALL administrator access after upgrade from Version 1803 to Version 1809 on December 29th. This includes running Safe Mode Command Prompt.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MiDon Enterprises, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Loss of administrator access

I have lost ALL administrator access after upgrade from Version 1803 to Version 1809 on December 29th.

This includes running Safe Mode Command Prompt.

If I type in "Net user administrator /active:yes" at the system32 prompt, I get a confirmation of action but when I reboot I still cannot see the Built-in Administrator account log-in.

I am running a HP EliteBook 8470p with only two other accounts, both Microsoft accounts, one set up as Administrator, and one set-up for Back-up, Power User and Remote User capabilities.

The Power User account used to show as "Unknown Account Type" but now both display as "Regular User"s, however both now show the Power User's permissions in the Computer Management (Local) - Local Users and Groups - Users tab.

Any ideas short of Format C: - reinstall Windows?

:)

MiDon Enterprises, Jan 2, 2019
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

net user administrator /active:no keeps saying access denied.

Hi Rebekah,

It's possible that you're not using an elevated command prompt, causing the Access Denied error. We suggest following these steps to properly disable the built-in administrator account:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste net user Administrator /active:no and press
      Enter
      . If the command isn't successful, please post a screenshot so that we can study it further.

Let us know if you're able to hide the administrator account after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Jan 2, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Loss of administrator access

Loss of administrative privileges

Hi Christine,

As a workaround, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps given above after entering Windows Recovery Environment on Windows 10. Kindly follow the steps below on how to enable the Administrator account using Windows Recovery Environment:

• Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.
    • A Windows logo screen or a Please wait screen will appear on the screen after repeating a force shutdown for three times.
    • The system would enter advanced recovery interface. Click Advanced options to enter Windows Recovery Environment.
    • In Windows Recovery Environment, click Troubleshoot
    • Under Advance options, click Command Prompt.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type in net user and press
      Enter.
      It will display the list of all user accounts on the system.
    • To activate the inactive Administrator account, type in the command:
      net user administrator /active:yes
      and press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt and exit out of the Windows Recovery Environment. Reboot your PC and try to log in.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Loss of administrator access

1. Loss of administrator access - Similar Threads - Loss administrator access

2. Administrator Access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator Access: I inadvertently changed something in my settings and I have now lost Admin rights. When I click on anything that requires an Administrator I get the prompt to continue as an admin - but the error message doesn't give me a "yes" option - see below. I have tried googling...
  3. No administrator access

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No administrator access: My friend is trying to reset his windows but he can't because he doesn't have administrator access. Does any1 have any ideas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-administrator-access/97bcc286-90f9-4a94-a5d0-db66904987f2
  4. Loss of Administrator Access with 2/13~ Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loss of Administrator Access with 2/13~ Windows Update: This is a follow up post to one I made around the time of the update that is seemingly lost in the abyss of the forums. I had my main account lose admin privileges after the windows update, this is a noted issue with this update. I have been able to boot into safe mode and...
  5. Administrator access

Administrator access: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.1139. Recently updated. I often get a note popped up telling me I can't perform an action because I need administrator access. Lately this happened after I defragmented the system hard drive. After rebooting,...
  6. Administrator access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator access: I lost my administrator access. I only have a single account on my PC. Whenever i try to delete a file or install something a window appears telling me to write an admin password, but the only option is No. I tried to add a new account but it doesn't let me. I also tried...
  7. Loss Administrator Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Loss Administrator Password: I have a HP laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition. We moved and I cannot use the email I had on the two version verification any longer. I can only use the text part. I don't see that any of my accounts name administrator but anytime I need to try to use some of my programs...
  8. administrator access

administrator access: Hello. I am trying to create a backup not only of my files but also programmes that I have added e.g. Office. however/wherever I try to do that the error message is that Windows cannot access the specified device, file or drive and that I may not have the appropriate...
  9. Administrator Access

Administrator Access: Hello, I've received a used laptop from work. Unfortunately, an Administrator account has already been set and no one knows the access details. How can I remove the Administrator or give my account administrator rights? I've tried Computer Management - Local Users and...
  10. Loss of Device Administrators

Loss of Device Administrators: I own a laptop that started life with Windows 8 and later on I was handed an opportunity of the free Windows 10 upgrade by Microsoft. Two days ago I decided to carry out a complete reinstall with removal of files and my added software. After device install when it came to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lost administrator access

2. LOSS OF ACCESS