Windows 10: Loss of C: drive Available Storage

Discus and support Loss of C: drive Available Storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Problem: On my Dell Inspiron 3250 desktop new Windows 10 with a 1TB C: drive, using File Explorer, I noticed I was losing about 20 GB of storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tijeras5, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Tijeras5 Win User

Loss of C: drive Available Storage

Problem: On my Dell Inspiron 3250 desktop new Windows 10 with a 1TB C: drive, using File Explorer, I noticed I was losing about 20 GB of storage capacity per day.

Troubleshooting: My McAfee virus software was detecting no virus. Using File Explorer, I was unable to see what files were causing this decrease in storage capacity. Acting on a suggestion to go to https://www.jam-software.com/Treesize_free, I downloaded the software to allow me to identify the rogue files. Scanning my C: drive with the Treesize software highlighted the C:\Program_data\Dell\SARemediation\log\InstantRestore file which on 12/30/20 was about 725GB in size. Dated since July 17, 2020 up to 12 pairs of files were formed and stored per day. These file pairs named SDSsnapshotprocess.dll...each about 4k size & InstantRestore.dll... each from 300MB to 2.2GB size produced page files responsible for occupying the decreasing amount of my C: drive space.

Workaround: The Treesize software allowed me to catch the problem before it overwhelmed available space on my C: drive. Using the Treesize software to scan the C: drive and find the file pairs under the InstantRestore files described above, I was able to begin from the oldest file pairs dated July 17, 2020 and delete the old file pairs up to the files dated exactly 1 month old. As a precaution, I am keeping the most recent 1 month of file pairs on my C: drive until a permanent fix is found. Deleting the old files from 7/17/20 to 1 month prior restored nearly 175GB of C: drive storage capacity with no adverse effects.

Fix: It appears to me that the Dell file described above is malfunctioning by making more and larger InstantRestore.dll file pairs to the point that it is taking over available C: drive storage. I believe the file serves a purpose, but needs limits as to its propagation rate. Please advise if you have had experience with this phenomenon.

:)

Tijeras5, Jan 14, 2021

2. Hard Drive Storage

I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb
    is being taken up by Apps and features but when I click on this and show the list of installed apps with their sizes, I have added up the entire list and it comes to 25Gb total. It doesn't show what's eating up the rest of the 400Gb of space. I have deleted
    everything I can and have only been able to free up 11Gb so far so my c drive is still showing red. At this point is the only other step to reload the pc, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be and how to fix?

Thanks,

Heather

Heather Clemons, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Anwille Win User
    extend c drive storage space

Hi, I'm , an Independent Advisor.

Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that supports to increase partition size with its "Extend Volume" feature. However, the program has some limitations in increasing disk space:

- Extend Volume only works on NTFS and RAW partition. FAT32 and other file systems are not supported.

- The Extend Volume will grey out if there is no adjacent unallocated space behind the target partition.

So, the ways to increasing C drive with or without adjacent unallocated space are different. Open the Disk Management, and follow the right tutorials listed below to extend the local disk C drive on your own now:

#1. Increase C Drive Space with Adjacent Unallocated Space

Step 1. Right-click This PC/My Computer, click "Manage", select "Disk Management" under Storage.

Step 2. Locate and right-click on the local disk C drive, and choose "Extend Volume".

Step 3. Set and add more space to your system C drive and click "Next" to continue.

Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the process.

Note that if that unallocated space on your system disk is not behind the C drive, you can't extend C drive in Disk Management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further!

Anwille, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Loss of C: drive Available Storage

Loss Of Drive Storage Limit on the C: drive

This might be hard to explain so an Image May help. The following shows my storage limits on each of my drives (The E and F drives or for backup).

Loss of C: drive Available Storage d7af247b-6ca9-4cdc-a392-4471d2a85194?upload=true.png

As of Recently I have noticed that my main C: drive has had its storage limit drop down. When I had first gotten my Asus Laptop it had a total storage limit of 128 GB in both it and the D drive. I have not partitioned any space recently to the D drive and
    the last time I did so the C drive was at 108 max storage. I have tried a number of different things to fix this issue but for some reason the drive keeps getting smaller forcing me to delete more and more stuff or clear up more space despite the max only
    getting smaller. I'm not sure what could be causing this issue. I even removed downloaded files that I used for games (such as patches or only mod like material) to see if perhaps their was a virus in one of them and nothing came up.

Again, I'm not the most tech savvy guy but I know enough about computers to know something is not right here.

Nicholas A. Fortin, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Loss of C: drive Available Storage

1. Loss of C: drive Available Storage - Similar Threads - Loss drive Available

2. C drive storage isssue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive storage isssue: Hello. Can someone help meI was just finished downloading a game into downloads folder. And decided to play the game inside that rar file without extracting the files.After exiting the game, the rar file gave a message about some files were modified and if I wanted to save...
  3. C drive storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive storage: My C drive is 96.4 GB with only windows installed. But still its almost full. How do i clear some space?? No games/ movies or anything in the drive. Only steam and others installed. Kindly help me out!...
  4. C drive storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive storage: My C drive is 96.4 GB with only windows installed. But still its almost full. How do i clear some space?? No games/ movies or anything in the drive. Only steam and others installed. Kindly help me out!...
  5. C drive storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. STORAGE C DRIVE

STORAGE C DRIVE: Hi , My C Drive storage reduce after updating my pc it reduced by 3gb what can I do please tell I had tried both disk cleanup and optimisation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-c-drive/952cb595-87de-480a-8b1f-053c050b6d43
  7. STORAGE IN C DRIVE

STORAGE IN C DRIVE: Hi , My pc has 171 GB free space in C Drive it reduces to 170 GB about 1hour and after 1 hour it again reduces to 169 GB I had scanned with antivirus no virus found and and done disk clean up but it doesn't help and also done optimisation nothing happens and storage is...
  8. Drive C storage

Drive C storage: How do I create more storagenspace in Drive C in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-c-storage/21e7967f-84bb-461e-b9d7-4f812b931a6b"
  9. Loss Of Drive Storage Limit on the C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss Of Drive Storage Limit on the C: drive: This might be hard to explain so an Image May help. The following shows my storage limits on each of my drives (The E and F drives or for backup). [ATTACH] As of Recently I have noticed that my main C: drive has had its storage limit drop down. When I had first gotten my...
  10. Recovery Storage and C Drive Storage

Recovery Storage and C Drive Storage: Hello- I have a computer with 1TB on it for storage but yet everything goes to recovery and my c Drive is almost empty????? HELP!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-storage-and-c-drive-storage/1839d27f-7ca9-45b1-b2c4-cfc8aab92efe"