Windows 10: Loss of Desktop shortcuts

Discus and support Loss of Desktop shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Professional WinVer 1607 and use Classic Shell. Some time ago I added the folder called Desktop (which contained all my Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donwb, Apr 30, 2017.

1. donwb Win User

Loss of Desktop shortcuts

I'm running Windows 10 Professional WinVer 1607 and use Classic Shell.
    Some time ago I added the folder called Desktop (which contained all my Desktop shortcuts) to my "My Drive" folder.
    When I recently deleted it from there, all my desktop shortcuts bar two disappeared.
    I tried all the internet suggestions to recover them, but none worked.
    Even copying the original Desktop folder back into My Drive had no effect.
    Finally I was forced into doing a recovery from a system image.
    I would like to know where the "official" location for all the Desktop information / shortcuts is and why in my case win 10 seems to be using an "unofficial" location I created myself.

:)

donwb, Apr 30, 2017
  2. Ken Blake Win User

My computer just upgraded to microsoft 10, lost all my files, photos ect on my dest top.

Were these files, photos and folders on your desktop, or were shortcuts to them on your desktop?

Assuming the latter, do a search for some of them. It may be that just the shortcuts were lost and the files are still on your drive.

If the files themselves were on your desktop, you're probably out of luck. But for the future, two points:

1. You should never put files on the desktop. Put nothing but shortcuts there. It's easy to recreate a shortcut if you lose it.

2. You apparently don't do regular backups of your data to external media. If that's the case, you've been playing with fire.
    Almost everyone should be backing up regularly. It is always possible that a hard drive crash, user error, nearby lightning strike, virus attack, even theft of the computer, can cause the loss of everything on your drive. As has often been said,
    it's not a matter of whether you will have such a problem, but when.

Ken Blake, Apr 30, 2017
  3. e-mail shortcut stopped working

No matter where I try, my shortcut on the desktop or e-mail on the start page it does not connect.

It worked for 3 weeks, then today would not connect nor did Google Chrome. Everything else is fine. Outlook e-mail will not let me put in my Verizon accounts. I am at a loss.

ToniKowalski, Apr 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

By default, your desktop would be
    C:\Users\<your user id>\Desktop

You can relocate it thus: (rt click on Desktop)

Loss of Desktop shortcuts [​IMG]

(I prefer mine on a non-system disk - if I happen to have anything on it of interest and I need to restore an image of the OS, the data is preserved).

As a rule of thumb, don't keep important stuff on your desktop.

If you've just lost shortcuts, most shortcuts can be recreated relatively easily. But there are far better ways than keeping loads of shortcuts on your desktop.

Note: for imaging, we recommend Macrium Reflect (free) e.g. rather than the built-in Backup and Restore.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Loss of Desktop shortcuts - Similar Threads - Loss Desktop shortcuts

2. Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcuts: So I downloaded some games I used to play through steam, and today the shortcuts on my Desktop broke. They look like blank files, and when I double click them, it prompts me to select a default way to open .url files, even though I could use them normally a few days ago. When...
  3. Desktop shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop shortcuts?: why has it suddenly become so hard to work out how to place a shortcut on the desktop with Windows 11? I'm just setting everything up and have loaded my itunes app and it works. No I want to put a shortcut on the desktop, but how? I can pin it to start, pin it to taskbar but...
  4. Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Shortcuts: Somehow, when I increased the size of my Windows 10 PC text, all of my desktop shortcuts are underlined. Can you tell me how to remove the underlines? I tried the adviser's solution, which was to go to ease of access, click keyboard. I see that my "keyboard underlines across"...
  5. Desktop Shortcuts

Desktop Shortcuts: Why in the name of all hole heck can't Microsoft come up with a way of locking shortcuts in place? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcuts/a193d030-a721-43e8-a1ac-086c28d1b5c4
  6. Loss of desktop icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Loss of desktop icons: Something happened to my desktop icons when I replugged my speaker system. I lost all my desktop icons. What replaced my icons on the desktop were all the apps that use to be stored on the Microsoft icon located at the bottom left of my screen. I have read all the threads...
  7. Loss of Desktop

Loss of Desktop: When I turn my computer on, I can no longer see my desktop. I used to be able to have my emails open in a reduced size screen with my desktop visible to one side. I can still open my emails but only with a full screen option. My desktop no longer appears as a number of icons....
  8. Desktop shortcuts

Desktop shortcuts: Recently all my desktop shortcuts have an overlay. A white sheet of paper. I have tried the Thumbnail and Cache Rebuilder, but it did nothing. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcuts/e0376408-1405-4ba7-9240-ee9d06766731
  9. desktop shortcuts

desktop shortcuts: I am looking for help with an issue that has just started. When I am creating a desktop shortcut for a website instead of opening up the page I have created the shortcut for it simply opens up as my google Chrome browser. I am using a laptop with windows 10. I click on...
  10. desktop shortcuts

desktop shortcuts: how do I delete my desktop shortcuts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/desktop-shortcuts/6182b244-afe9-46a2-b2b5-442e2b80278c