Windows 10: Loss of Device Administrators

Discus and support Loss of Device Administrators in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I own a laptop that started life with Windows 8 and later on I was handed an opportunity of the free Windows 10 upgrade by Microsoft. Two days ago I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by justintime1, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Loss of Device Administrators

I own a laptop that started life with Windows 8 and later on I was handed an opportunity of the free Windows 10 upgrade by Microsoft.

Two days ago I decided to carry out a complete reinstall with removal of files and my added software.

After device install when it came to installing some of my downloaded software back onto the device immediately a box came up

The box title = User Account Control / for WPS Install Application / To continue enter an admin user name password.

At the bottom of the box on the right hand side No is showing.On the bottom left I cannot see Yes or that space greyed out.

I have looked all over the net for a solution ,trying to attain safe mode etc.Every thing I try will not allow me to proceed without mention or hint that I should have Administrator rights to proceed.

My thoughts and fears are: that I have removed or corrupted or hidden all administrators including the one built into my laptop.

I would appreciate some advice that will help to correct the problem.

Thanks in advance

:)

justintime1, Mar 26, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Loss of administrative privileges

Hi Christine,

As a workaround, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps given above after entering Windows Recovery Environment on Windows 10. Kindly follow the steps below on how to enable the Administrator account using Windows Recovery Environment:

• Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.
    • A Windows logo screen or a Please wait screen will appear on the screen after repeating a force shutdown for three times.
    • The system would enter advanced recovery interface. Click Advanced options to enter Windows Recovery Environment.
    • In Windows Recovery Environment, click Troubleshoot
    • Under Advance options, click Command Prompt.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type in net user and press
      Enter.
      It will display the list of all user accounts on the system.
    • To activate the inactive Administrator account, type in the command:
      net user administrator /active:yes
      and press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt and exit out of the Windows Recovery Environment. Reboot your PC and try to log in.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Mar 26, 2019
  3. Loss of administrative privileges

Please follow the steps below to enable the Administrator account:

• Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
    • Type "cmd" and wait for the result to be displayed.
    • Right-click the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
    • Run the command net user to display the list of all user accounts on the system.
    • To activate the inactive Administrator account, run the command: net user administrator /active:yes.

Keep us posted with the result.

Kerwin Lee, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Loss of Device Administrators

Loss of Administrative privileges

Hi Dana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Apology for the delay in response.

Suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps and check if they help:

* Press Windows Key + R, type
    netplwiz

* Click and highlight the User profile, which you want to make administrator

* Click on Properties, then select the
    Group Membership tab

* Select the Administrator, Click
    apply/ok

If incase of any problem with file permission, ollow the below mentioned steps and see if it resolve the issue.

• Open the properties of the main
      User Profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc). You can open the properties of a particular folder by
      Right-clicking on it and select Properties from context menu.

• Go to the Security tab and click
      Advanced.

• Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click
      Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Please let us know if it’s working

Hope this helps.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

Loss of Device Administrators

1. Loss of Device Administrators - Similar Threads - Loss Device Administrators

2. Black screen with curser on launch and complete loss of all administrative privilege's.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with curser on launch and complete loss of all administrative privilege's.: After about 5 minutes desktop shows, however I cannot access any admin apps such as cmd prompt, registry editor, task manager, etc. I also cannot uninstall apps, or give any applications administrative privilages. I have restarted my system upwards of 10 times, ran antivirus...
  3. Loss of Administrator Access with 2/13~ Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loss of Administrator Access with 2/13~ Windows Update: This is a follow up post to one I made around the time of the update that is seemingly lost in the abyss of the forums. I had my main account lose admin privileges after the windows update, this is a noted issue with this update. I have been able to boot into safe mode and...
  4. Can't access device due to loss of PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't access device due to loss of PIN: Misplaced PIN, but have microsoft account password. But it doesnt help, because then it asks for security questions instead. When I clicked on not having, it went into some security update thing and said I cant access until 2021?? Panic! I cant get into laptop, its brand...
  5. Loss Administrator Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Loss Administrator Password: I have a HP laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition. We moved and I cannot use the email I had on the two version verification any longer. I can only use the text part. I don't see that any of my accounts name administrator but anytime I need to try to use some of my programs...
  6. Loss of bluetooth in device manager.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of bluetooth in device manager.: There is no Bluetooth under device manager so I cannot turn on Bluetooth or update drivers. How can I fix this? I did not delete it and my computer does have Bluetooth....
  7. Loss of administrator access

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loss of administrator access: I have lost ALL administrator access after upgrade from Version 1803 to Version 1809 on December 29th. This includes running Safe Mode Command Prompt. If I type in "Net user administrator /active:yes" at the system32 prompt, I get a confirmation of action but when I reboot...
  8. replace device administrator

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    replace device administrator: I want to know how to change my original account (admin) to a different account as admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replace-device-administrator/52050b2c-0ad8-46a3-bf6c-2034406a89b1
  9. Loss of Administrator status seems universal; where's universal fix?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Loss of Administrator status seems universal; where's universal fix?: This is pretty outrageous! I did not bargain for hours of my time to figure out the new, improved Windows 10. Not only did I lose admin status, half of my bookmarked favorites have disappeared. I've seen the "take ownership..." articles, and a lot of this stuff is unclear...
  10. An administrator tried to locate this device.

in Windows 10 Support
    An administrator tried to locate this device.: Hi so the other night I had decided to go into my Microsoft account on microsoft.com. When I looked at my devices I had clicked locate on Windwows 10 desktop and I heard a notification sound on my desktop that an administrator tried to locate this device. Well I closed it...