Windows 10: Loss of few F-key functions

Discus and support Loss of few F-key functions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Toshiba Satellite C55-A laptop is several years old; I have had it at least since 2013. Until a few years ago, every key functioned as it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by John Michael Nowak, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Loss of few F-key functions

My Toshiba Satellite C55-A laptop is several years old; I have had it at least since 2013. Until a few years ago, every key functioned as it was supposed to, but now two of my F-keys no longer work. It has no F-Lock key but does have an FN key without a light, in case anyone thinks that knowing this might help. All other keys still do everything that they are supposed to do, as far as I know; F11 and F12 are the only ones that have lost their primary function.

When pressed by itself, F11 used to mute and unmute my computer; now, my computer acknowledges when I press the button a blue ring appears next to my cursor for a fraction of a second but otherwise does nothing. Interestingly, pressing it while holding FN still puts browser windows in full-screen mode.

F12 used to turn Airplane Mode or at least WiFi on and off; now, nothing happens when I press the button. If anyone wants to know, pressing it while holding FN activates "Inspect Element".

:)

John Michael Nowak, Apr 22, 2020

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Apr 22, 2020
  3. F function Keys

I upgraded my computer to windows 10 and on my surface and now my F (function) keys only brings up

SuzannaBriggs, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Loss of few F-key functions

f# keys secondary functions

Hello,

About your concern on disabling the function keys, kindly answer the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Do you have the manual of the computer?

You may either check the manual or contact the computer manufacturer's technical support regarding disabling the function keys.

Don’t hesitate to inform us if you have any other concerns.

Regile Reb, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Loss of few F-key functions

1. Loss of few F-key functions - Similar Threads - Loss few key

2. What F key restores the mouse functions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What F key restores the mouse functions?: What F key restores mouse functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-f-key-restores-the-mouse-functions/a4209597-5956-414d-a73b-92b30cb2a202
  3. What F key restores the mouse functions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What F key restores the mouse functions?: What F key restores mouse functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-f-key-restores-the-mouse-functions/a4209597-5956-414d-a73b-92b30cb2a202
  4. F key functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    F key functions: I've been using COREL DRAW from the first addition. "ZOOM" in and out functions were controlled by using the F2, F3 & F4 buttons while in the program. Lightening destroyed my old Windows 7 and 10 computers. The new ones.... F keys open internet or advertising or puts the...
  5. "f" key is not working - rebound to some other function

"f" key is not working - rebound to some other function: The "f" key on my laptop's keyboard has stopped working. Now, whenever I press that key it functions similar to the 'tab' key, highlighting different objects within the window I'm in.This problem started at random - I haven't installed any new software, and my Windows is up...
  6. Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not...

Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not...: Hi all I have a brand new Acer Aspire one running Windows 10 Home V1909 which I know is a legacy machine now but it is for my children do use for School Work during the Covid lockdown. I have searched this forum, and else where google and I have thus far been unable to...
  7. Aspire One - Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior &...

Aspire One - Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior &...: Hi all I have a brand new Acer Aspire one running Windows 10 Home V1909 which I know is a legacy machine now but it is for my children do use for School Work during the Covid lockdown. I have searched this forum, and else where google and I have thus far been unable to...
  8. Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key

Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key: Hi all, I would like to create a custom function for a "F" key. For example, I would like to have a shortcut that opens a regularly used folder on a particular drive in my PC simply by hitting "F6". Currently I have to do multiple clicks as the folder sits inside other...
  9. F keys

F keys: My function keays double as volume changing keys and brightness keys etc. how can I lock the function use setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f-keys/9be42aae-3b06-46b4-acf2-035b821280c8
  10. switching f# keys function

switching f# keys function: so I'm using a Microsoft surface 3 and i need to switch the functions of the f1, f2, f3, etc. buttons and I've tried BIOS, the mobility center and the keyboard control panel, to no avail. any suggestions? i never use these keys except in cases of gaming, and i cant because...