Windows 10: Loss of internet connection

Discus and support Loss of internet connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Lenovo M 700 desktop computer; Windows 10 64 bit; NetGear N300 WiFi Router, Firefox 54.0.1 On my desktop computer, the network keeps disconnecting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JAG01, Jul 24, 2017.

1. JAG01 Win User

Loss of internet connection

Lenovo M 700 desktop computer; Windows 10 64 bit; NetGear N300 WiFi Router, Firefox 54.0.1

On my desktop computer, the network keeps disconnecting from the internet during periods when my browser is closed. Also, frequently when it comes out of sleep. I've had no troubles until a few weeks ago when the problem suddenly appeared. While connected to the internet, the network does not disconnect.
    After a period when the browser is closed, the network icon in the System tray shows the network as secured, not connected. I have to click the connect button to connect. Interestingly my HP laptop (Windows 10 64 bit) also has the same problem which made me suspect the router.*Devil

I've run antivirus and adware software. I've worked with both the computer manufacturer and the router manufacturer but they could not solve the problem. In fact, they even replaced the mother board, wireless card and the router in an attempt to solve the problem!. I also set the router to a channel that my neighbors do not use to eliminate possible interference. All this did not solve the problem.

Since all the hardware is operating normally, I'm beginning to think it's a Windows 10 problem. Perhaps a hidden setting somewhere? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

:)

JAG01, Jul 24, 2017

2. loss of internet connection

ok, I tried this today-1/9/17 and the troubleshooting advised to turn off device. I did, in the old days we called that "user fix" and people used to get upset when you did that. I received computer 7/7/14 and never had this problem before an update sometime
    in December. When I called service provider they advised me that it was an update that triggered this and to turn it off and back on. I am glad you have had no problems with "10". I have not been so lucky, in April of last year I lost all wireless capability
    (keyboard,mouse,printer) from an update, thank goodness for usb ports or I would have to buy another computer. At that time I talked to a Microsoft "engineer" for over an hour and was finally told "good Luck" with the wireless devices. Today what is unsettling
    is when you are 1. paying the bills or 2. in the middle of some other business and go down in the middle of transactions, you are helpless!!!

jameswindow10dwn, Jul 24, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    loss of internet connection

You answered James but addressed me.

I have not had any problems in the over 2 years with Windows 10'

lacrumb, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Loss of internet connection

Hi JAG01. Welcome to the TenForums @JAG01

You didn't say whether you were connecting using wireless on desktop or cable. I assume wireless, correct?

Couple of things, one just to check. In your Advance Power options look for the heading Wireless. Make sure the power setting for plugged in and battery is set to maximum. You likely won't have a battery option on desktop.

Next find the network adapter in Device manager. Right click and click properties. There should be a power management tab. Now recently things have changed. There is an option "allow this computer to shutoff device to save power" and the normal fix was to disable, that is remove check mark. Seems now some work better with check mark on, enabled. (this setting is present for cabled connection.)

I would try with check mark removed and with check enabled.

Next I would suspect the driver. See what version you have installed and see if an older driver from vendor corrects situation. Check version number after installation to ensure the older driver took.

There also seems to some issues with IPv6. You try it disabled and enabled, especially if you don't use Homegroups.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...nts-in-windows

The solution for one of your devices maybe different than the solution for the other device, of course they could be the same. Would suggest concentrating on one, then the other.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 24, 2017
  5. JAG01 Win User
    I am connecting wireless. Since I'm using a desktop, there is no battery option.
    I went through each of the wireless devices in Device Manager. None had the option to allow the computer to shut it off to save power.
    Even though I don't use a home group, I disabled IPv6 and rebooted. The problem persists.
    All device drivers were updated a couple of weeks ago.

JAG01, Jul 24, 2017
  6. Okay. I believe the trick is to find an older driver one that your manufacture prescribed for your device. As I wrote, note current version, install older, check version and use.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 25, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Sounds more like Green or Eco Mode on the Gateway causing it. Or your gateway is getting turned off over night.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Loss of internet connection

1. Loss of internet connection - Similar Threads - Loss internet connection

2. Loss of Internet and/or WiFi Connectivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of Internet and/or WiFi Connectivity: I am running Windows 11 Home 64 bit with all the latest updates installed on two HP laptops.I have a TP-Link Deco mesh network with 5 Decos as follows:Location Model IP Address Build ReleaseMain Living Room X60 2.0 192.168.68.1 20210204 50164Apartment X60 1.0 192.168.68.51...
  3. Loss of Internet and/or WiFi Connectivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Loss of Internet and/or WiFi Connectivity: I am running Windows 11 Home 64 bit with all the latest updates installed on two HP laptops.I have a TP-Link Deco mesh network with 5 Decos as follows:Location Model IP Address Build ReleaseMain Living Room X60 2.0 192.168.68.1 20210204 50164Apartment X60 1.0 192.168.68.51...
  4. Loss of internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of internet connection: Have an intermittent problem whereby PC loses internet connectivity. Normally it thinks the connection is still up but no browser tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge nor Outlook can connect. Normally I can only resolve by disabling the adapter and then, after short pause of...
  5. Internet speed loss

Internet speed loss: My internet speed is supposed to be 300mbps, but when I test the speed on my desktop computer which is running Windows 10, it only go up to around 90mbps. Both on ethernet or wifi. It used to be 300mbps. When I test the internet speed using my phone, it is 300mbps alright. I...
  6. Periodic but seemingly random loss of internet connectivity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Periodic but seemingly random loss of internet connectivity: My desktop PC runs Windows 10 2004 build, but this is a long-standing issue that predates the current build and its predecessor. I mainly use Firefox but revert to Edge and Chrome from time to time. The symptoms are that Firefox "freezes": no website can load, the address...
  7. Frequent loss of internet connectivity

Frequent loss of internet connectivity: Hi When starting my laptop fom "sleep" mode i frequently find i have lost internet connectivity. The only way to solve this is to "restart" my machine and wait for everything to load up again. Could anyone help please?...
  8. Continual loss of internet connection and camera reset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Continual loss of internet connection and camera reset: Each time I want to participate in a Zoom call I have to go device manager and uninstall the camera drivers then restart the lap top otherwise I get a message saying "Can't find your Camera". I'm assuming this is a problem in software and not the Dell laptop but maybe you...
  9. Loss of internet connectivity

Loss of internet connectivity: I am posting this in what may be a brief window of connectivity. Last night I was unable to restore either Ethernet or Wireless connectivity in any of the ways that usually work, including a network reset. My ISP (BT, UK) told me they had a fault but later changed their mind;...
  10. Loss of most of my internet connection

Loss of most of my internet connection: Hi, In chrome - i am am getting an err_connection_timed_out on most of the pages I try to search. I've found 2 sites this doesn't apply to. other browsers (int explore and edge) - says 'can't reach page' when I restart my machine everything works ok for 5 mins...