Windows 10: Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

Discus and support Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple days ago I lost the ability to play youtube or online radio through my modern browsers (Chrome, Edge), although it still works on IE 11. At... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BrunoGenovese, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

A couple days ago I lost the ability to play youtube or online radio through my modern browsers (Chrome, Edge), although it still works on IE 11.

At first I assumed it was a Chrome issue and since I didn't want to lose my settings through a full Chrome reset, but when I noticed that it also failed on Edge I started to suspect that something got messed up through one of the usual (and unfortunately often flakey) automatic Windows 10 patches.

Does anybody know what causes this issue and if there is a non-destructive way to fix it?

:)

BrunoGenovese, Feb 28, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Site links not working in Chrome or Edge

Hi,

Have you tried resetting your browser? If not, we suggest you to do so. To reset Edge, follow these steps:

• Go to
      Browser Settings.

• Clear
      Browser Data.

• Close the browser and launch it again.

If the issue persist, follow these other steps:

• Go to
      Task Manager.

• Click on
      MicrosoftedgeCP.exe

• End the task.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Edge browser crashes on full screen video ?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to clear the browsing history cache and check if it helps:

• Open Edge browser click on three dots.
    • Click on clear browsing history.

Then try to play the video and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: Run the apps troubleshooter and check if it helps with the issue.

The Modern app troubleshooter can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps and the Store

Refer to the following article and run the Apps troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

Chrome Crashing & Video won't play

Hi Jone,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Is the issue with playing video is only with confined to specific browser?

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    As the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the below steps.

Step 1: For the issue related to Chrome, refer to the below link:

https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en

Step 2: For the issue related to paying video through browser, try updating Add on in Internet explorer and check if it helps.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

1. Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge) - Similar Threads - Lost ability play

2. Edge replaces chrome as defalt browser.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge replaces chrome as defalt browser.: And... replaces my wallpaper, deletes the accounts signed in on chrome, and deletes my steam shortcutsand only the games, nothing else, not even not steam games, and for some reason resets Team fortress 2's resolution settings... and only that particular setting....
  3. Windows Media Player lost its 4K HEVC playing ability

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player lost its 4K HEVC playing ability: After updating to Windows 10 20H2, 4K video playback in Windows Media Player and some other applications stopped working. Media Player is not able to open it. Reinstalling HEVC paid extensions didn't help. Reinstalling Windows Media Player also didn't help. Movie & TV app can...
  4. Google to use Microsoft’s modern controls in Chrome browser

in Windows 10 News
    Google to use Microsoft’s modern controls in Chrome browser: Microsoft jumped onto the Chromium bandwagon in 2018 and the change has resulted in a number of positives for the company, users, and even Google. Last year, Google agreed to update Chrome with Microsoft’s solution for longer battery life, which should reduce the browser’s...
  5. Lost ability to copy/paste into browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost ability to copy/paste into browser: I can no longer copy and paste from Word, Excel or PowerPoint into a browser (Chrome, Edge or Firefox) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-ability-to-copypaste-into-browser/30f624f0-fa96-47a8-b87e-9cb988f0b0d5
  6. Lost Chrome to Edge in last update.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Chrome to Edge in last update.: When I did the last update in February, I lost Chrome. Now I cannot get it back. When I try to download it all I get is the picture that is on my google account. I need chrome for some of the things I do on my computer, that Edge seems to not support. How can I get it...
  7. Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

in Browsers and Email
    Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge): A couple days ago I lost the ability to play youtube or online radio through my modern browsers (Chrome, Edge), although it still works on IE 11. At first I assumed it was a Chrome issue and since I didn't want to lose my settings through a full Chrome reset, but when I...
  8. edge chrome crashing and no video when playing media file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    edge chrome crashing and no video when playing media file: Okay the problem is when i boot into windows everything is fine the only problem is google chrome showing some black bars when scrolling on a website and only online videos not playing properly not only chrome edge and fire fox has that kind of problem too and i can't able to...
  9. Lost Edge browser icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Edge browser icon on desktop: Somehow, my Edge browser icon has disappeared from the desktop. I can still access it through the Cortana search box. So, obviously the browser is on my computer, but I'd like to access it via an icon on the desktop rather than the search box. What can I do? Thanks....
  10. lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps

in Windows 10 Support
    lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps: I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. All was working fine. Now, I can't access the modern start screen, cortana or apps. The following things might have helped cause this: I changed my PCs name, I installed more ram, I created a local log in and there was an update just...