Windows 10: Lost ability to right click, run as Adminsitrator on Start menu search

Discus and support Lost ability to right click, run as Adminsitrator on Start menu search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I press/click on Start, and then type 'Power' for instance to get PowerShell, I want to right click and Run as administrator. Somehow that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mvalpreda, Jan 10, 2016.

1. mvalpreda Win User

Lost ability to right click, run as Adminsitrator on Start menu search

When I press/click on Start, and then type 'Power' for instance to get PowerShell, I want to right click and Run as administrator. Somehow that is gone. I can only Pin to Start. Did updates, reboots, etc. I cannot even click and drag icons from the Start menu - just has a red X. I had to make a shortcut on the desktop to run PowerShell as an admin. It works on another Windows 10 machine no issues.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

:)

mvalpreda, Jan 10, 2016

2. cannot create new folder. Help says to run sfc /scannow. I am an administrator but when I click on CommandPrompt(admin) nothing happens.

1__ what/where is Start menu. I have a power button and a Windows button. Right clicking on Windows icon in top left corner retrieves menu starting with Programs and Features and ending with Desktop. Midway is Command Prompt (Admin) but clicking on that
    does nothing. Is that the Start menu?

2 __ My user profile is as an Adminsitrator. Do Ihave to log on differrently to run sfc /scannow?

Ginna DeanMiller, Jan 10, 2016
  3. djpearce Win User
    Right-click context menu "Run as Administrator" not working

I finally ended up fixing mine. The more I read about similar problems, it sounded like it had something to do with programs that put items in the context menus. I have a few programs that did that, including 7zip. I also had a program called QuickSFV which
    put a couple options in the context menu. Once I removed that, my Run as Administrator and Manage options worked again. 7zip context menus are fine, it was the very old QuickSFV program that seemed to screw things up!

Good luck!

djpearce, Jan 10, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

I don't have an answer for you.
    Just want to offer an alternative if you do not want a desktop shortcut for it........
    Right click at Start > Command Prompt (Admin|0 > type powershell > Enter

That is your Powershell Run As Admin.

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
  5. mvalpreda Win User
    I did a system restore back to nearly a month ago....and now it works. Wish I had an idea of what caused it. About to run updates again and see if it disappears again.

mvalpreda, Jan 10, 2016
  6. Injust Win User
    If you want to open PowerShell as administrator, instead of clicking it, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, or hold Ctrl+Shift and click it.

Injust, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost ability to right click, run as Adminsitrator on Start menu search - Similar Threads - Lost ability right

2. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  3. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  4. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.: If I use the start menu search bar for items such as Notepad, CMD etc. and do right click run as administrator Nothing happens. If I simply double click then it launches ok, i have ticked the run as administrator in the file / shortcut properties, so double clicking does run...
  6. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  7. Right click Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click Start Menu: Last few insider builds (not necessarily because of it) Most of items in Start menu's just don't do anything. Command prompt/, Disk management, Device manager, Task manager etc. Other shortcuts for them work, each one when started from anywhere else works. I made links for...
  8. Start menu, search, and right clicking taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, search, and right clicking taskbar doesn't work: Hi i notice that overtime, my star menu, search bar, and/or right click taskbar doesn't work unless i restart the computer or restart Windows Explorer in task manager. I have a feeling standing by my pc is causing this. Any1 know why this is happening? my computer is...
  9. Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin: I'm fully up to date on W10 x64 and have just noticed that I can no longer (as in, I could a few days ago) right click on certain apps to run as admin. I can't even use the 'menu' keyboard button to open the right click menu either, this does nothing. I *can* do so on...
  10. Lost Start Menu and Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Start Menu and Search: For whatever reason I have lost the use of my Start Menu and Search function. Is there any way to get the 'Settings' page open without the Start Menu? Winkey + I did it. 6925