Windows 10: Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset

Discus and support Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Before Factory Reset: I was running Windows 10 on a Local User account Then I did a factory reset removing everything in C: drive. Resetting got... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TechieShaan, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset

Before Factory Reset: I was running Windows 10 on a Local User account

Then I did a factory reset removing everything in C: drive. Resetting got stuck at 99% so I had to force restart but everything was fine.

After Factory Reset: I created a new user account by logging in with my Microsoft account.

Problem: I lost ownership of every folder on other drives.

:)

TechieShaan, Aug 10, 2019
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Aug 10, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User
    Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?

Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder.

1) went through [Run] lusrmgr.msc steps
    then also
    2) went through secpol.msc steps

error still remained

3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder.
    Everything is okay now.

BUT...
    whilst the issue is solved, the 'WHY" still puzzles me.

a) I took a screenshot of Properties->Security of the 'Access Denied'-folder before the take ownership
    and after take ownership (see 'A')
    Administrators (DESKTOP-xxxxx\Administors) was added

b) I took a screenshot of some random other folder on another drive (see screenshot B)
    the Owner of the folder after 'take ownership' - my name and email address
    the Owner of the random other folder - Administrators (DESKTOP-xxxxx\Administors)

Before the 'Take Ownership'-action, when checking out the properties->security

Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset [​IMG]

and after clicking on the the [Continue] button there, I got an error:
    "You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user."

Appreciate views
    Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in their upcoming SP (there are so many endless exchanges on this)

Windows 10 x64 Pro

=

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/1736/fiIgHX.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/5331/8NoGE4.png

tfwul, Aug 10, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset

1. Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset - Similar Threads - Lost access ownership

2. lost my windows 10 after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost my windows 10 after factory reset: I recently did a factor y reset on my desktop and it reverted all the way back to windows7 and now I can’t get back to windows 10 cause I have no knowledge of what the key was and it tells me I can’t update to windows ten without the key. After trying many times to reset when...
  3. lost my windows 10 after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost my windows 10 after factory reset: I recently did a factor y reset on my desktop and it reverted all the way back to windows7 and now I can’t get back to windows 10 cause I have no knowledge of what the key was and it tells me I can’t update to windows ten without the key. After trying many times to reset when...
  4. Lost windows 10 after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost windows 10 after factory reset.: I have a pavilion all in one computer. Before the holidays last year this computer did a windows 10 update. This update caused all types of problems. I got online and found there were alot of people having the same issue. They were all saying that they did a "uninstall latest...
  5. Lost windows 10 after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost windows 10 after factory reset.: I have a pavilion all in one computer. Before the holidays last year this computer did a windows 10 update. This update caused all types of problems. I got online and found there were alot of people having the same issue. They were all saying that they did a "uninstall latest...
  6. Lost windows 10 after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Lost access to C: drive after changing ownership

Lost access to C: drive after changing ownership: Hi, I've lost Access to my C: drive after changing ownership to administrator from TrustedInstallerI did this because all my drives were set to read-only after a W10 update. I tried to revert the change but since the administrator user is in C: drive I cannot even access...
  8. Lost windows 10 after factory reset

Lost windows 10 after factory reset: Hi I have a Dell laptop with Windows 8 originally installed. I had installed windows 10 on it. After I factory reset with windows, 10 installed it turned back on and got back windows 8.1 So is it possible to get windows 10 back? I tried installing again using...
  9. My synced theme is lost after factory reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    My synced theme is lost after factory reset: Hi. I've done full factory reset (complete with hard disk wipe) and now my synced theme is lost. I've set up to synced backed up theme and now it doesn't work. All I have is default theme by Acer and couple default themes of Windows 10. My custom downloaded wallpapers are...
  10. Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?: Hi. I was messing around with the "permissions" under the properties, security, permissions area. I seem to have lost access to everything on my computer, even on my administrative accounts. When I try to click "change owner" it freezes now. When I try to reset my PC, it...