Windows 10: Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account!

Discus and support Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everybody, I'll explain my situation, for if anyone can help me sort it out. In my Windows 10 I was using a personal account domain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArielCss, Apr 30, 2020.

1. ArielCss Win User

Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account!

Hi everybody,

I'll explain my situation, for if anyone can help me sort it out.

In my Windows 10 I was using a personal account domain "desktop-[pc-code]\[myuser] that was labelled as administrator, when I unfortunately removed all access rights to C: drive from Properties -> Security.

Since then, I've tried the following solutions that I've found in other threads:

1. Try to re-establish rights from Properties -> Security
      • I cannot do because my Security tab now doesn't show the same options, and there are a few "change" buttons which don't do anything when clicked
    2. Try to enable hidden administrator account with net user administrator /active:yes
      • I couldn't do it from my personal account due to permissions, but I could do it by restarting from "Update & Recovery" and using the console prompt Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options. Once active, I log in in Safe Mode with this hidden Administrator account but I have the same problem. Even if it is an administrator account, it cannot modify C: drive security permissions and it returns access denied when double clicking C: drive in My Computer.
    3. From Administrador account, in cmd prompt, try using takeown command over C: drive takeown /f C:\
      • It returns "access denied"
    4. Try restoring the system to an older state from recovery options
      • There are no restoring points in the system to go back to

I'm running out of solutions here. Any other idea before having to reinstall the whole system and losing all files?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

:)

ArielCss, Apr 30, 2020

2. Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi everyone, i lost administrator right then I can't access c drive so how to solve this problem, please give me step to step instructions for solve this problem

Modified title from: (SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account)

ROHIT singh RAWAT, Apr 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - No access rights to C:

Hi Emil,

Sorry for the inconvenience you are facing. Did you make any changes prior to the issue? Please try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

• Right click on Drive C and click
      Properties.

• Switch to Security tab, click
      Edit and Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the
      full control permission for your own account and click
      OK.

• Click Advanced, switch to
      Ownership tab and click
      Edit button.

• Highlight your user account and click
      Apply, and then click
      OK.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to disable to UAC settings and check.

• In search type User account control.

• Select Change User Account Control Settings.

• Move the slider to Never notify and click
      Ok.
    Method 3: I would suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Hope the information helps.

SujataMoktan, Apr 30, 2020
  4. Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account!

lost access to c drive on windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Try these methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

a. Right click on
    Drive C and click Properties.

b. Switch to
    Security tab, click Edit and Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the
    full control permission for your own account and click OK.

c. Click
    Advanced, switch to Ownership tab and click
    Edit button

d. Highlight
    your user account and click Apply, and then click
    OK.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to disable to UAC settings and check.

a. In search
    type User account control.

b. Select
    Change User Account Control Settings.

c. Move the slider to
    Never notify and click Ok.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account!

1. Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account! - Similar Threads - Lost access rights

2. Lost Access to Administrator Account. Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Access to Administrator Account. Win 10: I have lost access to my Administrator Account. It happened , I think, after a MS Update. I also had to rebuild MS Outlook, which I am still trying to complete. As you must realise the problem of not having an Administrator Account is not workable as you cannot get past the...
  3. Lost Access to Administrator Account. Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Access to Administrator Account. Win 10: I have lost access to my Administrator Account. It happened , I think, after a MS Update. I also had to rebuild MS Outlook, which I am still trying to complete. As you must realise the problem of not having an Administrator Account is not workable as you cannot get past the...
  4. Lost Access to Administrator Account. Win 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Administrator rights lost

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator rights lost: hi, i first create a new user and made him admin i remove my self from the admin group disable the built in administrator change his password for a stronger one and i hide the new local user admin from the log screen in the registy after what i have lost the admin rigth...
  6. Lost Administrative Rights

Lost Administrative Rights: Help me to retrieve my administrative right on the PC. I don’t know how it’s happened but I lost my administrative right. When I launch the system I find only two user accounts and no administrative. This default administrative is disabled and I cannot enable it on my...
  7. Lost Administrative rights in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Administrative rights in Windows 10: When installing or deleting some programs or even accessing my previously worked out folders, I'm told I need to have administrative privileges. I'm the user on my computer and I'm listed as administrator and my brother also uses this computer having different account which...
  8. Lost administration rights on admin account

Lost administration rights on admin account: I found another thread on the same topic, but it was "locked" - so here is another one: After recent update and several uninstall and installation procedures my account was not able to sign in to windows. While signing in with another user account and trying to use command...
  9. Lost Administrator rights.

Lost Administrator rights.: I can't activate back my admin account. Just because I don't remember the password, I dont have rights to change my current account which is local account to admin....
  10. Windows 10 -- Lost Administrator rights to the one and only account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 -- Lost Administrator rights to the one and only account: Dear Forum Readers: I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1558 roughly two years ago, and at some point, I lost all administrative rights. I am unable to install any programs or updates. Because of an issue with the BIOS, my charger no longer works, but I can not update the BIOS...