Windows 10: Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied"

Discus and support Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Also - several reviews of this Icy Dock drive on Newegg talk about corruption: "- after a year it corrupted 3 of my drives, i was able to salvage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Oct 10, 2016.

1. rivre Win User

Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied"

Also - several reviews of this Icy Dock drive on Newegg talk about corruption:

"- after a year it corrupted 3 of my drives, i was able to salvage two of them by formatting them then using recuva, but the data on one of them was lost and i had to retrieve it from a backup. only the drives contained in this were corrupted."

"I lost 6 different drives to corrupted data before I replaced with Thermaltake ST0020U. It's possible I was doing something wrong with setup, but I fail to see how."

"-Could only get 1 drive to be recognized at a time (because I could only get eSATA to work)
    -USB interface would not work at all. Plugging in the USB gave me a glowing brick."

"I have lost 2 - 3TB drives in this ICY DOCK and some data that I could not recover from either drive."

So it may be just a poorly-designed enclosure or poor interface. They looked like very good enclosures. I am very hesitant to use any of my Icy Dock drives now which is a shame because I have 3 which cost close to $400. One I got for Christmas last year. Now I feel I should just toss them out. Very upsetting. What should I be looking at for multi-bay external enclosures that play nice with Windows 10 and USB 3 and supports large (4-6TB) drives? Keeping in mind I'm not a rich businessman - this is just for personal use.

rivre, Oct 11, 2016
  2. linw Win User

Interesting follow up, rivre. I didn't realise you had so many Tb of stuff at risk!

Certainly looks like the Icy Dock enclosure is the likely culprit given your experience and that of the people quoted above. What I find hard to comprehend, though, is any link with win 10 as USB and Sata are very old and well understood interfaces. Just had a look at my disk drivers and all are dated 2006 except for the USB 3.0 ones that are dated 3/10/2016.

Perhaps you need to try again to get Icy Dock to help?

Perhaps you could try an enclosure with a drive that was expendable and try to trash it? Try it with another OS?

Good luck and best wishes. This is a very troubling experience for you.

3. rivre Win User
    Thanks. Yeah, this is a very upsetting experience for sure. Especially frightening when I don't have everything backed up like I know I should. My drives are a mix of old (500GB/640GB) and newer (3TB-5TB). Some things just aren't organized the way I need them to be on my disks and so I keep putting off backing up. Space is also an issue. I do have some of it backed up.

I'm leaning more and more towards the enclosure being the culprit here. There aren't a whole lot of choices out there for external 4-bay enclosures. I'm looking at a Mediasonic on Amazon. They have been making them for years. They say they support up to 8TB per drive. The thing is I tried one with a USB 3 interface years ago on Windows 7 and it didn't like my USB 3.0 card at the time so I returned it. I have an older one that connects via esata only and it's never caused any issues for me. Their current model supports esata and USB 3.0. I'm considering giving it a shot. I'm not sure if their current USB 3.0 interface is more compatible now or if it works well with Windows 10. I need something to put my drives in and I no longer trust these Icy Docks. Money wasted.

Icy Dock was useless when I called last week about the initial connection issues I was having with my enclosure. I wouldn't expect any better with this issue.

rivre, Oct 11, 2016
  4. rivre Win User

I'm still not sure what to think about the multiple "Disk X has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue." errors.

Looking back in my event viewer I now see I was getting these errors for a while now but it's only since I tried copying data to the Icy Dock enclosure the other day that the drives got corrupted. I may have also been getting this error with another enclosure by a different manufacturer - this one connected via esata. So...is my esata card at the root of this corruption/error message? It used to work great in my Windows 7 PC. Or is it something else causing this error? I don't remember now if the actual corruption during copying happened via USB 3 or esata since I was going back and forth with the connections trying to get the drives to get recognized. I tend to use the Icy Docks via USB 3 since that's why I bought them. I do know these error messages were being logged in event viewer long before I ran into this corruption, and the Icy Dock drives were not connected to both USB 3 and esata ll that time. So I highly doubt the issue was due to both connections being plugged in simultaneously as I don't think that was the case.

My event viewer is full of those exact same messages day after day, each time I turned on an enclosure, until the corruption finally hit when I started copying files to the Icy Dock. That's when I realized I had a serious problem.

I was making a full disc backup to a different enclosure (not Icy Dock) the night before my 4 drives got corrupted in the Icy Dock, and the backup software (Acronis) kept locking up at the start of the backup, taking several minutes to continue. Once it unfroze it continued the backup and the verification completely successfully so I didn't worry too much about it. I think during that time in the event viewer I was getting those "same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system" errors for that enclosure.

Icy Dock specifically mentions not connecting esata and USB to the same enclosure at the same time. I'm absolutely certain I didn't do this with the other brand's enclosure I was doing the backup with, because it only supports esata. Yet it looks like that one also may have thrown up these errors. I can't tell for sure since event viewer is so cryptic.

How do I go about troubleshooting this error message and it's cause? Is USB 3 on my motherboard (Gigabyte Z170x gaming 7) not playing nice with my enclosures the issue? But as I said some of my enclosures are esata only. Is it my esata card? Is having the esata card installed in the system enough to screw up all my enclosures? I think this message may be at the heart of my problem but I don't know what to look at as a culprit. I'm not convinced at this point that it is the Icy Dock at fault. I know this is a very technical and detailed issue I'm posting about. I just think the more info I post the better to help figure this out. I'm really stuck here and I have a pile of healthy drives now that I'm not comfortable plugging in again until I have a good idea what happened.

- I had fast startup enabled by default until I just discovered it was causing shutdown errors in event viewer so I've disabled it now. Is it possible fast startup was somehow causing a malfunction with my esata card being recognized and that caused havoc with my enclosures? I used to get a non-RAID boot screen for my RocketRAID 622 esata card at each startup on Windows 7 but I don't get that on Windows 10. Just a stab in the dark but I'm really stuck here.

- Could it be the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option that is enabled by default for my USB 3 ports are to blame? Maybe the ports were cutting out while copying data and that caused the corruption? Just another stab in the dark.

- Could it be the intellipark issue with the WD green drive that was in the Icy Dock? But I don't have a green drive in every enclosure. There was one in the Icy Dock and that's one of the drives that was corrupted. I have WD blue and black drives too and rumor has it some of those drives have intellipark also. I have no idea if that's playing a part. Icy Dock warns about this. They highly recommend disabling intellipark. many forums highly recommend against it as disabling it causes issues. All I know is I never had issues with enclosures until Windows 10.

Note: this is what Microsoft says about KB2983588:

This problem may be caused by any one of several different situations. The two most common situations are the following:
    • If multiple paths to the same physical disk device are available, but Microsoft Multipath I/O (MPIO) is not enabled, the device is exposed to the system by all paths that are available. This causes the same device ID data (such as Device Serial Number, Vendor ID, Product ID, and so on) to be exposed multiple times.

rivre, Oct 12, 2016
  5. rivre Win User
    I just talked to Icy Dock tech support over the phone. He has never heard of this situation before. He will look into it on his end with other tech support members but he suggested I try to rule things out on my end by using other enclosures, try esata and USB 3, try removing my esata card to rule that out, etc., but I don't have any spare test drives to risk losing at this point and I'm sure not going to start testing with any of my important drives with data on it. He said there's a lot of possible things at play here and it's going to be tough to narrow it down. I don't even know where to start.

rivre, Oct 12, 2016
  6. rivre Win User
    Would you guys advise if I should uninstall all the USB listings under device manager and let Windows find them again and install the drivers it needs? maybe that would sort the issue out? That error message suggests that Windows is getting confused by the multiple drives in the enclosures. I think that's what led to the copy failure and corruption.

Under device manager I have:

- Generic Superspeed USB Hub
    - Generic USB Hub
    - Generic USB Hub
    - Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
    - Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
    - USB Composite Device
    - USB Composite Device
    - USB Root Hub (xHCI)
    - USB Root Hub (xHCI)

Do I just right-click each one and select "uninstall" and reboot and let Windows take care of it? I believe if I remember correctly when I was first building my PC and doing a fresh install of Windows 10 I installed all my Gigabyte motherboard drivers from Gigabyte's site. Maybe I should let Windows find what it needs for the USB ports?

I hate to mess with them though if that's not the problem. My USB thumb drive has been working fine for months with my new PC, so it's only the external multi-bay enclosures that are having issues over USB 3/esata.

rivre, Oct 13, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    Unless I have a specific problem I let windows do its own thing with drivers. Usually turns out fine with my mobo.

Like I said earlier, all my USB drivers, except USB 3, are windows ones dated June 2006! The date shows a certain stability! The USB3 is a windows driver with very recent date. My SATA dvrs are same 2006 date as well.

What drivers do yours show?

I would right click each and click update driver and see what you get.

8. rivre Win User

Driver version 10.0.14393.0
    7/15/2016

That is the driver details for most of the entries I listed above.

Driver version 10.0.14393.0
    6/21/2006

That is the listing for the USB Composite Devices listings.

Strange how they are the same version but with widely different dates.

rivre, Oct 13, 2016
  9. rivre Win User
    I got a response back from Icy Dock:

"Thank you for your email regarding the drive corruption with our MB174U3S-4SB model. We are really sorry to hear you have lost data with usage of our product, and we would like to find the cause of the issue since there are various factors that could cause the data corruption. One lead we have as of now with the information you have provided may be linked to the usage of WD drives and our unit. Your case sound somewhat similar to a different case that has some of the same issues, which is the data corruption and the usage of WD drives and when the data became corrupted.

The WD drives are a significant factor as various models of the WD drives have this power saving feature that spins down the drives when the drives are not active. However, with that spin down feature, it is possible that enclosures could misinterpret this spin down to a disconnect due to the voltage change. This could lead to corrupted data, as the drives are not properly powered off before being disconnected from the computer. Those error messages could possibly be related to the drives spinning down and the computer interpreted that as a disconnect, causing issues with the disk identifiers on the operating system. We do have a firmware for the MB174U3S-4SB that could disable this spin down function for WD drives, but we need more testing to confirm this firmware could be used on various hardware and operating systems.

I know you are still reorganizing your drives to get a few testing drives for the issue you have experienced and we understand if you have to spend extra time to get the testing drives ready. We are willing to send a MB174U3S-4SB with the new firmware installed that disables this spin down for WD drives for you to test. This testing can provide more insight on the issue you have experienced and could help in finding a solution for this model and the issue you have."

rivre, Oct 13, 2016
  10. linw Win User
    Very interesting. At least they are actively trying to find an answer.

Hope the new firmware fixes things but you need to have test drives to go any further so that may take a bit of juggling.

11. Adalwar Win User
    @rivre:
    As I said before, I lost 1TB of data that was on a Seagate HDD also in Icy Box enclosure.
    At that time I suspect that could be something wrong with enclosure and send it to Dust Bin, just as a caution measure. And I also had the Feeling that the OS somehow "mismatch" Users/Permissions/ID´s, somehow was "confused".

I think the Auto-Parking of Heads feature, is something "old" and every HDD today has that feature to prevent Head-Crash, and I doubt that could be the cause.
    But there could be other factors involved, 2 days ago I was getting a error in event viewer about WUDFRD Driver not loading for another external HDD USB3.0. That HDD is a native external HDD from Toshiba.
    I am also very interest to find out what was causing that Lost of Data, that are production machines and I can not afford losing Data

Adalwar, Oct 13, 2016
  12. rivre Win User
    Interesting that you mention WudfRd not loading. I also had one of those errors in my event viewer also:

- Driver\WudfRd

The only link I could find about that was a discussion in another forum about that not loading. They discovered their external enclosure had somehow set "windows driver foundation" in services from the default automatic to manual and that was the cause of the driver error. They set it back to automatic and said it fixed the issue. Sure enough, under services, mine was set to manual. Now, I have no idea if this will have any effect or make any difference, but at this point I'll try anything that promises to help point to the issue. I set my windows driver foundation to automatic (upon rebooting I see it's now set to "automatic (trigger start)". For some reason it won't let me set it to delayed start.

From the other forum:

"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device"

"it was an external hard disk enclosure (basically a box in which you can put any hard disk). The problem is I had set the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service to Automatic and everything worked fine, however, that external hard drive somehow set it back to Manual."

rivre, Oct 13, 2016
  13. rivre Win User

Icy Dock seems very insistent that it is the green drives at fault here. I have no idea personally. If it was the green drives, why didn't this ever happen on my old PC with Windows 7? I was using the same drives and enclosures all along and never had these problems. On the other hand, as I mentioned, my SansDigital enclosure also acted up the other night when I tried to make a full system backup. It didn't corrupt thankfully but it did freeze up during the backup. And that enclosure also had a green drive in it. Maybe it's all just a coincidence, but Icy Dock does explain how the intellipark can cause that error about the disk identifiers. Maybe somebody else can chime in here about this "feature" existing on other drives than WD. There's a reason why green drives are notorious for this intellipark issue. The problem was that they parked every 8 seconds, leading to excessive parking that killed the drives within months. But Icy Dock seems to say any spin down while idle could trigger a problem as the enclosure could misinterpret the spin down as a disconnect. So I have no idea really.

One of my Icy Docks had 1 Toshiba and 3 Seagates in it, and that also didn't want to get recognized by Windows 10 when I was first trying to get my enclosures up and running. Eventually Windows 10 was able to see them. I have no idea why. But I didn't try copying to that enclosure. I had just turned it on to see if the drives could be recognized. The only enclosures I have written to was the Icy Dock with the green drive and 3 Seagates, and the SansDigital with 1 Seagate, 1 WD Black and 1 WD green. Both drives I have written to have frozen, and both had a green. Only the Icy Dock resulted in corruption.

rivre, Oct 13, 2016
  14. Adalwar Win User
    Well, I think one important aspect is that for to corrupt the MFT (Master File Tables) of NTFS can only occur due a Power Failure, even small, or directly from a bad Software. I tend more to the possibility of Power issues.

EDIT: I do not believe that special Feature of WD green could cause that error.

Adalwar, Oct 13, 2016
  15. rivre Win User
    But, according to Icy Dock, the Intellipark is what is causing the power issues. Read what they wrote again:

"However, with that spin down feature, it is possible that enclosures could misinterpret this spin down to a disconnect due to the voltage change. This could lead to corrupted data, as the drives are not properly powered off before being disconnected from the computer. Those error messages could possibly be related to the drives spinning down and the computer interpreted that as a disconnect, causing issues with the disk identifiers on the operating system."

So it sounds plausible to me that the drives are "dropping out' suddenly, causing refreshes of the enclosure. It's literally like the drives are being yanked out in the middle of writing, which is I think what happened basically - in the middle of writing one of the drives dropped out. When I started copying, everything went fine for the first 10 seconds or so, then it instantly froze, and the window at the top turned green, as if it was searching for the drive again. You know, like when you run a search for a file in a folder full of tons of files and it takes a minute for Windows to find it and you get that green bar letting you know it's searching? So I'm guessing that for whatever reason - driver issue, bad enclosures, esata card messing thing up, I don't know - but for whatever reason, drives are dropping out while copying which is resulting in corruption.

rivre, Oct 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied" - Similar Threads - Lost access drive

2. Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is...: Lost access to C:/ drive.can’t open acceess control editor. Access is denied error is display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-access-to-c-drive-cant-open-access-control/29d42f0e-320d-40e1-b1d2-e2f099c51c56
  3. Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is...: Lost access to C:/ drive.can’t open acceess control editor. Access is denied error is display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-access-to-c-drive-cant-open-access-control/29d42f0e-320d-40e1-b1d2-e2f099c51c56
  4. Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !: Drive J not accessible. Access is denied.Tried Disk Management to check the status. Properties says that I need Read permission to view. When I accessed advanced settings for permissions, it says that I do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission...
  5. Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !: Drive J not accessible. Access is denied.Tried Disk Management to check the status. Properties says that I need Read permission to view. When I accessed advanced settings for permissions, it says that I do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission...
  6. Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is...: Lost access to C:\ Drive. "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied" error is displayed I recently bought a new MSI Alpha 15 A3dd Last night I tried to change a property on an Turbo c++ , and the machine told me 'Access denied' and the Security pop-up was...
  8. Drive is not accessible. Access denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive is not accessible. Access denied: Disk D: is not accessible. Access is denied on Windows 10 – How to Fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-is-not-accessible-access-denied/dfe8d92f-d621-4acb-973c-c4075eb98b2b
  9. Error: Drive is not accessible. Access is denied.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error: Drive is not accessible. Access is denied.: I was doing some backups from my PC to an external USB Drive (G) and all was going smoothly. Then I went to manually copy some new files to the USB Drive and suddenly got the error : G:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. This happened once before several weeks ago and...
  10. Error: Drive is not accessible. Access is denied.

in Windows 10 Support
    Error: Drive is not accessible. Access is denied.: I was doing some backups from my PC to an external USB Drive (G) and all was going smoothly. Then I went to manually copy some new files to the USB Drive and suddenly got the error : G:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. This happened once before several weeks ago and...