Windows 10: Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

Discus and support Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Christopher Morrison3, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for Bitlocker and I don’t have recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. In the result I am unable to access my hard drive

:)

Christopher Morrison3, Dec 10, 2018
  2. BridgetV Win User

Can't access my external hard drives because of BitLocker

I just got the same exact screen when trying to access my external hard drive! I've used my external hard drive for years and it has never given me problems. I plugged it in today and it says access is denied due to bitlocker. Please tell me you got help
    with this?!

BridgetV, Dec 10, 2018
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Dec 10, 2018
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

Hi AveryDavis,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

Is this an external hard drive or an internal hard drive into which the Windows 10 is installed in?

I can understand how important the hard drive is for you. If the hard drive was encrypted with a BitLocker, it can only be opened with the BitLocker key. This is because the hard drive will be encrypted with respect to the BitLocker and cannot be accessed
    on a different system without the key.

If you have not set the BitLocker key, the' Secure Boot' settings may be toggled to 'Disabled', which may be causing this issue. You can check that from the steps below.

1. Power the device 'Off' and then back 'On'.
    2. You should be able to find a message on the boot screen just before the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the ‘F1’, ‘F2’, or ‘Delete’ button, this is usually indicated on the boot screen.
    3. Enter the BIOS settings, look for a tab called 'BOOT' and select that page.
    4. Depending on the BIOS manufacturer, this page could be 'BOOT', 'ADVANCED', 'STARTUP', etc.
    5. Look for a setting for the 'UEFI Secure Boot'. Each BIOS could have a different name for this. These are the keywords to look for: 'UEFI', 'Secure Boot', 'Legacy Boot'.
    6. Toggle the 'Secure Boot' setting to 'Enabled' and attempt to boot the machine.

However, if the BitLocker is set and the password is not known, you can refer this article on ‘Find
    my BitLocker recovery key
    ’. If you do not have the BitLocker password or the recovery key, the only option would be to proceed with formatting the hard drive to access it and if Windows was installed on this drive, a reinstallation of Windows.

Note: Formatting the hard drive will delete all its contents.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

1. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker - Similar Threads - Lost access external

2. unable to access external drive with bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to access external drive with bitlocker: I have an external drive with bitlocker installed. I know the password and I have the encryption key. When I connect the drive to my computer that is running Windows 10 Pro, I am queried to enter my password for the external drive. However, after entering my password, the...
  3. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  4. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  5. External hard drive storage lost

External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...
  6. Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker: So I had tried to encrypt my drive with bitlocker and its was a while ago but then I tried to decrypt it as It was taking a long time and the drive got disconnected and the decryption was disrupted and then it took time to load up the password page and It said the correct...
  7. External hard drive bitlocker issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive bitlocker issue: when i plugged into my Seagate external hard drive, i accidentally click bitlocker encryption button. Screen pop up and did a scan. I tried to hit the pause button and then power down my laptop. The bitlocker did not complete the scan and encryption. It was only 10 sec...
  8. I lost access to my files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost access to my files on external hard drive: I am trying to find my old video file stored on external HDD. It is an AMV video that I did long ago....Unfortunately, that file is locked. When I was trying to unlock it, I received an error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted. This hdd had Windows XP on...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker recovery key changed cannot access external drive

2. access external hdd that is bitlockered

3. bitlocker stops access to external hdd

4. bitlocker recovery key lost seagate,
  5. asus slate cant reach bios because of bitlocker,
  6. How to format external hard drive with bitlocker?