Windows 10: Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update

Discus and support Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi My wife and I have a PC each both running Windows 10 Home which are always kept up-to-date. The two PCs share one USB printer, physically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IDontByte, Mar 3, 2020.

1. IDontByte Win User

Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update

Hi

My wife and I have a PC each both running Windows 10 Home which are always kept up-to-date.

The two PCs share one USB printer, physically connected to my PC which is direct connected to the BT Hub. My wife's PC is connected to the BT Hub via power line adapters.

This all worked very well until after the latest Windows 10 update when my wife's PC's access to the shared printer was lost.

Both PCs can share folders on either PC without any problems, but when I attempt to reconnect the shared printer my wife's PC can "see" it I get the "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is Denied" message.

I have tried everything I can think of, from resetting the network to checking passwords in Windows Credentials to trying to add my wife's PC and User name to the printer's security.

I've posted this plea for help under "Network & Internet" but maybe it should be under "Security & Privacy", if so - sorry.

:)

IDontByte, Mar 3, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Can't Access networked Brother Laser printer- To print or use Web I/f

Not all Printer drivers are included in the installation media. Even mine (Brother HL-4040CN), you would need to manually add it to the list:

1. Control Panel->Devices and Printers->Add a Printer
    2. Follow the steps to set up a network printer. At one point, Windows will search for available printer, click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"
    3. Click on "Windows Updates". Windows will start downloading a complete list of Printers.
    4. Select your printer name & model then install.

EDIT: Just tried to install as a USB printer for MFC-7820N since I don't have this printer to set up as a network printer. The result as shown in the list after clicking on "Windows Update":

Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 update cause printer problem with: "Printer not activated - Error - 20"

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the printer after the Windows Update, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • How is the printer connected to the computer, locally or through network?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the drivers for printer and check.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Print queue.

• Right-click on the printer driver
      that is listed and click Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the printer troubleshooter from
    Fix printer problems
    and then check if this fixes the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update

Windows 10 upgrade will not allow access to network printers

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might related to permission to share printer.

I suggest you to remove the network printer and try adding it again and check if it helps

Follow the below steps:

Step 1: Make sure that, the printer is shared on the network in the primary computer.

Step 2: Remove the network printer.

a) Type Devices and printer in the search area on the task bar and select
    Device and Printer.

b) Select the printer and click on
    Remove Device
    button.

Step 3: Restart your system.

Step 4: Add the network printer
    again.

a) Type Devices and printer in the search area on the task bar and select
    Device and Printer.

b) Click on Add Printer.

c) Let Windows scan for the printer and if detected select the printer and click Next. If the
    printer is not listed click "The printer that I want isn't listed" and skip to add printer by name or TCP/IP address.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update

1. Lost access to networked printer after Windows 10 Update - Similar Threads - Lost access networked

2. lost printer network after multipul Software upgrades

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost printer network after multipul Software upgrades: Over the last 2 years Win 10 upgraded have corrupted my Network and sharing. Every upgrade i have had to "allow network discovery" Trying to install a new PC. This PC can see the shared printers but on connecting get error 0x000011b. I cant even cross share on the other PC to...
  3. lost printer network after multipul Software upgrades

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost printer network after multipul Software upgrades: Over the last 2 years Win 10 upgraded have corrupted my Network and sharing. Every upgrade i have had to "allow network discovery" Trying to install a new PC. This PC can see the shared printers but on connecting get error 0x000011b. I cant even cross share on the other PC to...
  4. lost printer network after multipul Software upgrades

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows update blocking network printer access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update blocking network printer access: A recent Windows update is not allowing workstations to print to a network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-blocking-network-printer-access/ed2e38c9-cabe-4d06-b23a-f672372e3568
  6. Windows update blocking network printer access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update blocking network printer access: A recent Windows update is not allowing workstations to print to a network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-blocking-network-printer-access/ed2e38c9-cabe-4d06-b23a-f672372e3568
  7. Lost printer after last Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost printer after last Windows 10 update: My printer stopped working last week and yesterday, in order to get it working again, I restored to the previous update on june 9th . . . then it worked again. Last night windows updated itself again and the printer has stopped working again . . . by not working i mean...
  8. Network Printer Lost in Windows 10, not in Windows 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Printer Lost in Windows 10, not in Windows 7: Computers with Windows 10, including one with 2004 update, no longer print to Toshiba network printer, but do print to other printers. My computer with Windows 7 still prints to the Toshiba printer, so it is not a printer problem. I have worked through the...
  9. Lost Printer After Critical Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost Printer After Critical Update: An update was put out and it caused me to lose the ability to use my printer. It started with issues at work on my Windows 10 computer. My bosses were having issues also. And then when I tried to print from my home computer, it did the same thing. At home, I uninstalled and...
  10. Windows 10 can’t access printer on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 can’t access printer on network: Hello, Could someone please offer advice on this issue? There are four PCs all running Win 10. Each PC is connected to the same private wifi network. One PC has a printer directly connected to it via an ethernet cable. Two of the other PCs can find this printer either...