Windows 10: Lost access to shared file on Windows 7 PC

Discus and support Lost access to shared file on Windows 7 PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 laptop that I run on my home wi-fi. I also have a Windows 7 PC that is hardwired to the wireless router. Up until this last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by C.L.Judy, Feb 2, 2019.

1. C.L.Judy Win User

Lost access to shared file on Windows 7 PC

I have a Windows 10 laptop that I run on my home wi-fi. I also have a Windows 7 PC that is hardwired to the wireless router. Up until this last Windows 10 update (v1803), I have been successful in accessing from my Win10 Laptop the drives on the Win7 PC which was running Home Group. The Win10 Laptop was part of the Home Group, but Home Group has been removed from Win10. Now I cannot access the files on the Win7 PC from the Win10 Laptop.

• The Win7 PC appears in the Network list of computers on the Win10 Laptop; however, when I click to expand it, I get the error message: "Windows cannot access …" followed by the computer name. When I run Diagnostics, I get the message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"
    • I can ping the Win7 PC from the Win10 Laptop using the Win7 PC IP address and when using the Win7 PC name
    • The Win7 PC appears in the device list of my router.
    • I have Internet access from the Win10 Laptop.

• I have "left" the Home Group on the Win7 PC.
    • I have turned on file and print sharing for all network types (private, home, public) on both computers.
    • In my Norton Security Firewall on the Win7 PC:
      • I have "trusted" the Win10 Laptop
      • I have "allowed" network discovery and File and Print Sharing in Public Exceptions
      • I have set the network adapter to "Full Trust"
    • I've verified that the IP address of each computer is correct -- they are both static addresses; and I've checked everywhere this info is stored.
    • I have restarted both computers numerous times, allowed them to "settle out" before trying the connection; but no luck.

Have been working on this for several hours now. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try to make this work again?

:)

C.L.Judy, Feb 2, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Windows File share bug (7 and vista)

Short version.

We have an internet PC in the house, which downloads into a shared folder on the network for everyone to access the files.

Since its on one of my machines, when i access the share it uses my username and i see all updated files and everythings happy.

When other people access, they either use "everyone" (vista) or "homegroup" (7) as permissions, and they only see files added BEFORE the share was created. If i download new files, i have to un-share and re-share the entire folder (which sucks) for them to see the latest files.

Someone else has had this problem, here.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? its pissing me off having to reshare the same folder every day. (FWIW, i had this issue on this machine when it was on vista, and the problem is still there on 7)

Mussels, Feb 2, 2019
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 2, 2019
  4. OrbitzXT Win User

Windows 7 & XP Networking Problem

I have two PCs in my room connected to a Linksys router, both had Windows 7 on them and had file sharing enabled through the Homegroup feature. Now I have XP on one PC, and still Windows 7 on the other. I setup the network on my XP PC and had the Windows 7 PC setup properly so that they could network together.

In 'My Network Places' I can see both PC's listed, I can double click the Windows 7 PC from my Windows XP PC and see the folders that I have set to share, but when I double click any of the folders I get an error message saying "\\PC-2\MP3 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

However, on my Windows 7 PC, I can go to network and browse all of the files I have set to share on the XP PC. So what do I need to do so that I can access the files on my Windows 7 PC on my Windows XP PC?

OrbitzXT, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Lost access to shared file on Windows 7 PC - Similar Threads - Lost access shared

2. How to access File History of a lost PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to access File History of a lost PC: My laptop was lost on a train, and I want to restore some files from its File History backup. I can access to network drive where the laptop's File History is stored from my desktop PC. But when I "Select Drive" in the File History interface in Control Panel and navigate to...
  3. How to access File History of a lost PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access File History of a lost PC: My laptop was lost on a train, and I want to restore some files from its File History backup. I can access to network drive where the laptop's File History is stored from my desktop PC. But when I "Select Drive" in the File History interface in Control Panel and navigate to...
  4. How to access File History of a lost PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accessing Windows 7 share folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing Windows 7 share folder: Hi there! I have a Windows 10 Pro computer W10P from which I would like to connect to a share folder on my Windows 7 W7 computer but I can't get it to work: [ATTACH] Same network, etc. etc., the machines are able to ping each other. I also have a Windows 10 Home W10H...
  6. Lost access to PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost access to PC: Hi, I am trying to login to Microsoft account from PC and no success even with the pin I been using forever. I can enter in my Microsoft account using my laptop. I used the on-screen keyboard too, but the issue persists even after changing the password. I'll be trying...
  7. Cannot access shared Windows 7 files from Windows 10 PC The network path was not found...

Cannot access shared Windows 7 files from Windows 10 PC The network path was not found...: I have 2 PCs, one running Windows 10 named A10 and one running Windows 7 called B7. I need to be able to access B7's files from A10 I don't need to be able to access A10 from B7. No, I am not going to upgrade from Windows 7. Yes, I know support has ended for it. If I try to...
  8. Accessing files in Network Sharing PC

Accessing files in Network Sharing PC: After Windows 10 May 2019 update, my access to files on my other network-connected computers has been limited. I can access the files using Quick Access and change to the desired folders but if I open Internet Explorer and try to open a file, the other computer is identified...
  9. Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access

Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access: Just added a new Win 10 Pro desktop to the network. It needs to access a Win 7 desktop shared folder. I get the error message Windows cannot access \\NAComp1-PC Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a network problem. 0x80070035 The network path...
  10. Accessing a shared folder/file from a networked Windows 7 PC

Accessing a shared folder/file from a networked Windows 7 PC: 2 computers; 1 recently upgraded from W7 Pro, 64-Bit to W10. The other computer is still running W7 Pro, 64-Bit. I had been able to access shared folders and files without entering a username/PW between the 2 PC's. Now, when I try to access a shared folder/file on the W10...