Windows 10: Lost access to user accounts

Discus and support Lost access to user accounts in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; A few months ago windows performed an upgrade that made the other 2 user accounts unaccusable. Mine as the administrator still worked the other 2 did... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by (JAG), Nov 23, 2019.

1. (JAG) Win User

Lost access to user accounts

A few months ago windows performed an upgrade that made the other 2 user accounts unaccusable. Mine as the administrator still worked the other 2 did not. They were still there and could log in with their passwords but they would log-in into a blank screen. You can activate Task Manager and can see many programs running in the background but the screen remains blank.

A week or two ago there was another automatic windows upgrade and the same thing happened to my account, I would log-in into a blank screen and when I activated Task Manager I could see many programs active in the background. I did notice one that had "extremely high" power usage so I decided to stop it via Task Manager - the program was "wsappx" (I think). The system warned me about loosing all work if I stopped the program but I had no work to worry about so I did.

The blank screen disappeared and my normal home screen come on allowing me work normally. I tried doing the same thing with the other accounts thinking that if it worked for my account it would work for the others but it did not. When I stopped wsappx nothing happens. The same black screen remains.

What can I do?

:)

(JAG), Nov 23, 2019

2. Lost User Account

After upgrading from Window 7 to 10, I lost my wife's User Account got messed up, using my email address and login password, with no ability to change them. I received the reply below, but still have problems:

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-

4. Paste all those copied files here.

I tried to create a new user account as in Step 1, but when I put in the command as written above, I kept getting messages about correct syntax for the command. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I
    then tried to set up a new account using the Settings/Accounts/"Add someone else to this PC" menu. I set up the account, but no folder was created under C:\Users\. I tried adding a folder using the new accounts user name and transferred the files from the
    other account. When I tried to log in, I received the same error message. I am at a loss as to how to get back the user account with the correct username, email address, and password. HELP!!!

LouisHafken, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Lost User Account

Hi Louis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)/)
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(New-User-Profile-name)/)

4. Paste all those copied files here.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 23, 2019
  4. Lost access to user accounts

Lost User Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

If you have the Windows 10 installation DVD, I would suggest you to enable the default administrator and then try creating a new user account with administrative privileges.

Boot the computer into Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from Windows Recovery Environment.
    • Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

3. Close the Command Prompt.

4. Try to login though Built in Administrator and create a new user account with Administrator rights.

To start the computer in safe mode. Type Settings in the search tab> under Recovery> Advanced Options>Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>Restart>select 4

After that you may follow the steps to transfer the data as suggested in the previous post. Please do not forget to disable the default account once you are done troubleshooting. Just follow the same stepsnet user
    administrator /active:no

Please let us know if it helps or if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

Lost access to user accounts

1. Lost access to user accounts - Similar Threads - Lost access user

2. User account lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User account lost: Hello,While I was trying to change the user account folder name which was misstyped, by logging in to the administrator account and using following commands in cmd:Cd C:/usersRename OldName NewName, Followed by a regedit change for the user profile's path in...
  3. User account lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account lost: Hello,While I was trying to change the user account folder name which was misstyped, by logging in to the administrator account and using following commands in cmd:Cd C:/usersRename OldName NewName, Followed by a regedit change for the user profile's path in...
  4. User account lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lost access to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost access to Microsoft account: A few days ago I received a notification that I was signed out of my one drive account. Once I tried to log back into my Microsoft account it says that there are no accounts associated with my email, would you like to get a new one. If I click on get a new one I then get a...
  6. Lost user account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost user account: Hi, I had some trouble with Windows and reset it, this kept my files and programs. It logged me on with the administrator account, Windows is ok but one user account is gone. The folder is no longer there in Users, Windows still seems to remember its password in some areas....
  7. Lost User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost User Account: Have a computer with Windows 10 Pro, I used to have 2 user accounts on it. The other account is not showing showing up? I ran the AccountProfileFixer and it fixed the problem until the computer reboots. When I start the computer next day its gone again, not sure what caused...
  8. Accessing User accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accessing User accounts: Where can I access and switch between users on my Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accessing-user-accounts/280f1b96-13f3-4a18-94e5-85872de42a99
  9. User Account Lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Account Lost: I'm not sure how, when, or what happened here. but this morning I found that my user id, “C:\Users\UnknownUser” contained all my working directories was gone and that “Users\Downloads” with a large blue down-arrow had replaced it and that it contained all my working...
  10. Lost windows user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost windows user account: Briefly, after the latest windows update when the computer restarted, I logged in and everything was missing. It was a fresh account under the same name, and even activated the intro that Windows 10 does when it first installs. I've tried switching between a Microsoft and...