Windows 10: Lost Admin permissions to only user

Discus and support Lost Admin permissions to only user in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I made a mistake that I am most certainly not proud of. Without paying much attention which is why you maybe shouldn't do things like this late at... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DylanBaird, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Lost Admin permissions to only user

I made a mistake that I am most certainly not proud of. Without paying much attention which is why you maybe shouldn't do things like this late at night... I change my account to only be a part of the User group, thus losing Admin privileges. Considering this is the only user on the computer, I am now at a loss for what to do as there is no other user with admin privileges to sign in to, and then fix my error.

I have seen a few recommendations on this forum and tried a number of them, but ultimately as is to be expected, I am not granted access to do any of these things.

I cannot access the sections of the control panel to manage this visually as it tells me I require elevated status. I likewise cannot perform any command line actions to change this either such as :

net localgroup Administrator Baird /add

However, in PowerShell I see that there is an Administrator account. In fact, there are five accounts: Admin, Baird this is my name, DefaultAccount, Guest, and WDAGUtilityAccount. Given that the Admin account exists, I am comforted that somehow I need only access it to make the appropriate changes.

Another angle I considered is approaching this from Ubuntu running on WSL. If it can mount the C drive and access files, should it not be able to change user permissions as well?

I've wasted a lot of time already trying to fix this embarrassing mistake, but now I think I need some new ideas.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

:)

DylanBaird, Sep 19, 2020

2. Win7 User Admin permissions broken

Basically it's an administrative user not the root admin , I don't know what it went wrong with settings and i forogot , but the permissions for it account were messed and now it cannot delete/edit sometimes stuff that came from rar or downloader or even installs, plus cannot uninstal most of programs , it's only possible with root admin (hidden), is there a way to restore these privilegies.

Also the error points "You need administrative privilegies from Administrators/[Nickname] "
    BUT I AM THE DAMN USER !!!!

It's not my PC so i really don't want to dig it up from scratch.

The PC has RAID0 so basically im not going to go over that again with a reinstall/reformat. ... takes time.

RuskiSnajper, Sep 19, 2020
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Lost Admin permissions to only user

Upgraded to Windows 10, lost admin permissions, downgraded back to 7, no admin permissions

Hello Shanna,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience.

At this point, I suggest you to check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Follow the steps:

• Assuming that you are already logged on to your user account in Windows 10, click the Start button.
    • From the Start menu, click your name from the top of the left pane.
    • From the displayed options click Sign out.
    • From the login screen, click to the different user account you want to switch to.

However, if you do not have a separate user account, I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

Write to us with the updated status for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

Lost Admin permissions to only user

1. Lost Admin permissions to only user - Similar Threads - Lost Admin permissions

2. User folder is missing + admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User folder is missing + admin permissions: Hello, I've purchased a new laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed. In order to solve a problem with Photoshop 2023, I am supposed to follow this path:Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 SettingsSelect that file File>Get InfoUnder...
  3. User folder is missing + admin permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User folder is missing + admin permissions: Hello, I've purchased a new laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed. In order to solve a problem with Photoshop 2023, I am supposed to follow this path:Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 SettingsSelect that file File>Get InfoUnder...
  4. administrator user does not have admin permissions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    administrator user does not have admin permissions: start menu does not work, run as admin does not work, services does not work. logged in as administrator in admin group. when asked this question in google "run as administrator" not working, most say go to cmd and run as admin lmao...
  5. Deleted the only User admin account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted the only User admin account: Hi there, hopefully there’s some help out there, stupidly I have deleted the only user account on my windows laptop and it won’t let me factory reset the pc.Back story is I was trying to free space in C drive because it wouldn’t allow me to uninstall anything and it wouldn’t...
  6. USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS: HI, I HAVE BEEN HACKED BADLY AND THE HACKER HAS CHANGED USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISIONS BLOCKING ME FROM HAVING ADMIN ACCESS AND EVEN MY TROUBLESHOOTER IS UNACCESSABLE NOW AS I DONT HAVE PERMISSION TO FIX ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH IM THE OWNER AND SOLE USER OF THIS LAPTOP SINCE I...
  7. Help!! I have lost my admin and I'm the only user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help!! I have lost my admin and I'm the only user: I'm freaking out here!! I have lost my admin rights and as I'm the only user and the only one in the home, I have never set a password, I had someone do a rebuild for me, so I have no recovery media. I can't find my V number I'm pretty sure it's the latest 1 162265
  8. Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86: Hello! I've been looking around for a while now and although there are some of the soltuions, they aren't working for me. I have two separate machines on my network which are both running Windows 10. One runs server applications and the other is my main machine. I tried...
  9. User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account?: I have a machine I have had for a few years and has been working fine. Suddenly a couple days ago Dropbox gave me an error that it couldn't start and said the error was 'usually because of a permissions error'. Since then, Photoshop will not start, saying it doesn't have...
  10. ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder: I am the Administrator of this computer but why won't windows 10 allow me to access users file folder? Getting confused. How do I get permission to open the USERS folder? By the way I'm using the NETWORK to access my other computers....