Windows 10: Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86

Discus and support Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! I've been looking around for a while now and although there are some of the soltuions, they aren't working for me. I have two separate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lewis37, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Lewis37 Win User

Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86

Hello!

I've been looking around for a while now and although there are some of the soltuions, they aren't working for me.

I have two separate machines on my network which are both running Windows 10. One runs server applications and the other is my main machine. I tried to save a file on the server in program files x86 and an error comes up saying: "You do not have permission to save in this location". I looked in the folder and I have lost the ability to create anything other than folders. I require admin access to do so but I am logged in as admin for both machines

I've found that I have lost administrator permissions and I am unable to get them back as all the options are grayed out in the "Advanced Secuirty Settings For Program Files x86. This applies to both machines.

I have taken ownership of the C directory as the local admin account i'm logging on with and i've booted into safe mode to try and take back access but with no luck.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

:)

Lewis37, Apr 15, 2020

2. Administartor rights lost in program file and program files x86

Hi Luca,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the files and folders on Program file and Program file x86, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • Is this issue specific only to the Programs file and Program file x86 folders?

Step 1: If you have logged-in as an administrator, I suggest you to follow the below steps to give permission for entire system, so that you can access the specific files.

• Right click on the folder and click on
      Properties
    • Click on Security tab and select the
      group\user name.
    • Click on Edit option and check the option
      Full control.
    • Click on Apply and then on
      Ok
      button.

Step 2: Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

• You may receive the following error message, where
      Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
      You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press
      Yes.
    6. Click Yes.

7. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Hope it helps. Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 program files(x86) gone

I just lost windows 10 program files(x86) it just disappeared. Any help or suggestions

GeorgeFollett, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Program files(x86) has wrong permissions

I can't say what has changed your permissions, but I think I can explain why you cannot install anything. TrustedInstaller should be the owner and have full control, in your case it has no permissions. This is how my permissions look.

Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86 [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86 - Similar Threads - Lost admin permissions

2. C:\Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\Program Files x86: Hello, This is my problem see pcturewhen i try to delete roblox and other apps there it pops up like this can someone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cprogram-files-x86/12436514-0218-4259-824b-88fdb9b49fe3
  3. Program Files x86 not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program Files x86 not accessible: Program Files x86 is just no accessible, it is visible in the file explorer, I can open it but cannot create/delete any files or folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-x86-not-accessible/982c0f1a-41cb-4c8e-99c0-8e759d51d26d
  4. Program Files x86 not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files x86 not accessible: Program Files x86 is just no accessible, it is visible in the file explorer, I can open it but cannot create/delete any files or folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-x86-not-accessible/982c0f1a-41cb-4c8e-99c0-8e759d51d26d
  5. Lost ability to change permissions for Program Files x86

Lost ability to change permissions for Program Files x86: I somehow lost my administrator permissions to control initiate Program Files x86. I have reset my permissions from the C: folder, but when I go to the Program Files x86 folder I am not able to edit permissions. The check boxes are grayed out for all Groups and User Names....
  6. Program Files x86 missing

Program Files x86 missing: Hello. Today when I started my computer it showed a screen saying fixing files something something. When it finished loading I noticed some of my games didn't have their pictures and when I clicked on them it said ''The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or...
  7. Lost Admin permissions to only user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Admin permissions to only user: I made a mistake that I am most certainly not proud of. Without paying much attention which is why you maybe shouldn't do things like this late at night... I change my account to only be a part of the User group, thus losing Admin privileges. Considering this is the only user...
  8. Program files(x86) has wrong permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Program files(x86) has wrong permissions: Dear Forum, i am currently experiencing a security issue with my Program Files(86 that is a bit bothersome. Recently i reinstalled two machines with the help of MDT and updating goes via WSUS. All our current machines are domain joined and we are in the process of migrating...
  9. program files and program files x86

program files and program files x86: what If I mixed program files and program files x86 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-and-program-files-x86/0e6ed22e-7f14-4bea-ba3c-65079ee7a563"
  10. Program files x86 hidden

in Windows 10 Support
    Program files x86 hidden: Hi, i just updated my Windows 10 Pro x64 with Anniversary update and now i have Program Files x86 as hidden folder. Why? Programs are working fine, but can i somehow make it visible as before? Thanks for reply. 62302

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 program files create file without administrator?permission

2. program files x86 admin

3. do not have read permissions in program files X86 security tab