Windows 10: Lost administrator status--can't import backup regkey now, am I screwed?

Discus and support Lost administrator status--can't import backup regkey now, am I screwed? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Screenshots of error messages/etc: https://imgur.com/a/MWooQYY Hello, Pulling my hair out over this one--I clearly jumped in way too deep and am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/willpadgett, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Lost administrator status--can't import backup regkey now, am I screwed?

Screenshots of error messages/etc: https://imgur.com/a/MWooQYY

Hello,

Pulling my hair out over this one--I clearly jumped in way too deep and am now up the creek without a paddle.

I changed a menial registry setting for the second time ever while owning this PC I built, and all of a sudden it seems, I have been unable to change any administrator-required settings on the computer. I have gotten myself into a mess over this. I'm including as much information as I can to help anyone help me.

It is also a possibility that some 3rd party software I installed recently could have caused this, but it's exceedingly hard for me to know what it would be. I use a lot of them, nothing which appears sketchy. Perhaps the Magic Utilities for my Magic Mouse...but I'm pretty sure that was after this problem started.

I tried adding another admin account, so did that (called Administrator), but it had the same problem, so I deleted the account data from the Control Panel, but the account is still showing up on the login page, making things a little confusing. Separate problem, insignificant.

I can't change my advanced power settings, time/date, or anything of that permission level. This is the primary problem. I want to adjust my advanced power settings.

I have run the command (in admin mode) 'net localgroup administrators /add' but don't have permission. Access denied. But, I ran command prompt as administrator and the command worked--but it apparently didn't change a damn thing.

I've tried booting in safe mode w/ the command prompt and running 'net localgroup Administrators Will" "Padgett /add' and it said I was already an admin.

I've changed my secpol setting to ensure Administrator Account Status is set to Enabled.

I've added every group in the Computer Management window to my user account.

As you can see, it claims I am an Admin, but at the same time, won't let me change my user status from 'Standard' to 'Admin' in the User Groups of control panel.

Any absolute Windows wizards have any ideas here? I would be massively grateful for any advice. I intend to learn from this mistake.

submitted by /u/willpadgett
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/willpadgett, Jan 10, 2021

2. Administrative privilges lost after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Danya,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which was the host operating system on your device?
    • How did you attempt to change the settings and from where?
    • Were you using administrator account/ standard account?

I suggest you to enable the Built-in administrator account and check if the issue persists.

Steps to: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    • Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.
    Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Lost documents after Windows update.

Here are two suggestions:

• Have a look in the folder C:\Windows.old\Users\MjKoval\Documents.
    Implement a robust backup scheme. If you have very important documents then they must be stored on two independent media.
    Do not wait until they are lost.

Frederik Long, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Lost administrator status--can't import backup regkey now, am I screwed?

backup drive not recognized

Hi,

As per the description, I understand that the external backup is not being recognized. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check for status.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Lost administrator status--can't import backup regkey now, am I screwed?

1. Lost administrator status--can't import backup regkey now, am I screwed? - Similar Threads - Lost administrator status

2. I am lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am lost: I recently decided to reset my computer inspiron 3252 and ever since have not been able to log in to accounts, with it saying “user profile could not be loaded”. I tried using safe mode. However, i am just left with a blank, white screen where the hotbar flickers from time to...
  3. No regkey path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No regkey path: For CVE-2023-36884 it is recommended to creat a Key FEATURE_BLOCK_CROSS_PROTOCOL_FILE_NAVIGATION and some REG-DWORDs Excel.exe,Graph.exe,MSAccess.exe,MSPub.exe,Powerpnt.exe,Visio.exe,WinProj.exe,WinWord.exe,Wordpad.exe in the registry. But we don't have the require path...
  4. No regkey path

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No regkey path: For CVE-2023-36884 it is recommended to creat some REG-DWORDs in the registry. But we don't have the require path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BLOCK_CROSS_PROTOCOL_FILE_NAVIGATION". We have only...
  5. I am Administrator but I can't Log-in as such!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I am Administrator but I can't Log-in as such!: I set up my wife's spare computer Windows 10 a few months ago and my first name is listed as the Administrator of her computer. I can't sign-in as Administrator using my current Microsoft Password or using any of my old Microsoft passwords as when I try to sign in as...
  6. Lost Network Status

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Network Status: [IMG] We already tried to troubleshoot it and it said that the diagnostic service is not running, we tried this but nothing happened. Please help : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-network-status/140986a2-f41c-425e-9a33-7c950815404b
  7. Administrator status?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator status?: In the last few days I had to do a recovery of my PD. I now find that I am no longer the administrator and files on my desktop are all 'read only'. How can I reset myself to administrator status?...
  8. Administrator status

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator status: I set-up this new laptop from scratch - obviously with the status of "administrator" I am logged in as "administrator" I want to make a small alteration but get error message "to do this you must have administrator rights" !!! Yet another example of Windows stupidity....
  9. unknown regkey

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown regkey: what is freshteachewquestion, and how do I remove it from my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unknown-regkey/f1e4bb37-f7db-40b2-bb5d-fcaf17c45ad0
  10. Checking backup status results in logs for "lost+found\......"?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Checking backup status results in logs for "lost+found\......"?: As stated in the title. How can I troubleshoot this issue, whilst there is no folder "lost+found" present on the system. [img] Any ideas and/or directions for these log-entries: 1. where are they created locally, as during the consistency check of the backups, the...