Windows 10: Lost All Files After Switching to Windows 10

Discus and support Lost All Files After Switching to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My daughter upgraded to Windows 10 on her laptop recently. She lost all of her word documents and most everything else that was saved on her computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WorcesterMN, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Lost All Files After Switching to Windows 10

My daughter upgraded to Windows 10 on her laptop recently. She lost all of her word documents and most everything else that was saved on her computer. Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to get the files back? She is a college student and has lost all of her school files from the last three years.

:)

WorcesterMN, Jan 13, 2016

2. Where are my documents, pictures, favorites

Hi,

You should be able to restore your personal files from the Windows.Old directory.

From: Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 - Windows Help

When you switched to Windows 10, some of your files may have been moved. Check the location of files you find by right-clicking (or pressing and holding) the file and selecting Open file location. Then copy all of the files there to another location.
    Files kept in Windows.Old are deleted after
    28 days.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Unable to find files, pictures, media after upgrading to Windows 10

*Original Title: Lost my files when updating .. found them .. then lost them again!!

when updating from windows 7 to windows 10 i lost all my files, pictures, media ..etc

i found them in c:/windows.old/users/ and moved them into the desktop

after one day i switched on windows and i think i lost the folders i moved into the desktop again ..!

please help i have my whole life in there Lost All Files After Switching to Windows 10 :(

shoug

ShougAlOufan, Jan 13, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Lost All Files After Switching to Windows 10

Is their a Windows.old folder on her C-drive when upgrading your OS windows will create this folder. Its a backup of all the files on computer before the upgrade. Also......if she did a image backup before upgrading, or maybe a restore point that is available.
    The Windows.Old folder might be the best method thou.....IF its still on her C-drive

OldMike65, Jan 13, 2016
  5. There is a windows.old folder but she isn't finding anything in the folders within windows.old. If she goes back to Windows 7 will it restore all of her stuff? She did not do a backup prior to the upgrade.

WorcesterMN, Jan 13, 2016
  6. This is also a good teaching moment. It isn't important if it's not backed up. If it is, back it up.

DeaconFrost, Jan 13, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    No, restoring to Windows 7 will not bring the file back.

Try installing Everything Search and let it start when the install ends so it builds it's index. Usually take 20 to 30 seconds.

Then in the search line enter

ext:doc and ext:docx

See if any of the files are found.
    If yes, right click on one and select Open path.

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

MiniTool Power Recovery might do the trick. There are several very good folder/file recovery programs, free and fee. It will not be easy - this recovery process.

RolandJS, Jan 13, 2016
  9. Recuva is another free recovery software that works very well.

DeaconFrost, Jan 13, 2016
  10. John035 Win User
    Do you have the habit of automatic backup ? I am using OneDrive for backup . If yes , you can recover your files from backup up . If not , open up the C drive where you find the "old windows" file, instead of clicking on "old windows" just click on the "users" file in the current version. All of your old stuff should be accessible from there. If you delete it, maybe your could not find your files back. You can also try their proposal , try some data recovery tool , recuva , easeus and so on .

John035, Jan 14, 2016
  11. revmike Win User
    I went from 8.1 to windows 10 on both my Surface Pro2 and my HP desktop and all my files, word documents, etc are still there.

revmike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost All Files After Switching to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Lost Files Switching

2. Lost all files after editing the registry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost all files after editing the registry: This morning I found that I was unable to log into Windows 10, which kept directing me to a temporary profile. So after doing some googling, I followed the directions in this youtube video exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTPi6dTzss To my shock, when I restarted...
  3. Lost all files after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost all files after update: Hello, My computer recently did an update and now all my files are not there. My apps are still on the pc but they all need reinstalled. Also, when I look into the users folder there are only two files: TEMP &Public. And my profile isn't there. Even my wallpaper was...
  4. Lost all files with Microsoft Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost all files with Microsoft Windows 10 update: I have tried to call Microsoft and the computerized system says that Microsoft no longer answers over the phone and to go to Help.Microsoft.com but I didn't find anything there that could help. We had back up but are unable to get those to upload. And where is Microsoft...
  5. I lost all my filed after Windows 10 auto updated

I lost all my filed after Windows 10 auto updated: How do I recover my lost files after Windows 10 update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-all-my-filed-after-windows-10-auto-updated/688a7a8b-1138-4b83-9808-411d0c8e6093
  6. lost all files and folders after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    lost all files and folders after update: Have lost all my files, iTunes songs, photos, cant log into my email. I cant do a restore point as it doesn't recognize anything past the update point of today. I don't know what to do, please help...
  7. All Sounds lost after windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    All Sounds lost after windows 10: All Sounds lost after windows 10 instaled an update last year thishappened before and i got instructions to corect last time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-sounds-lost-after-windows-10/d74e3ffc-2ccb-4c7f-a46b-b2541ac05909
  8. Lost all my files after update the latest version of Windows 10

Lost all my files after update the latest version of Windows 10: Lost all my files after updating to the latest version of Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-all-my-files-after-update-the-latest-version/b402d64b-9f13-477a-ba1a-e720745911c4
  9. Lost all my files after upgrade

Lost all my files after upgrade: My laptop undertook an automatic upgrade yesterday and now I cannot find any of my previously saved documents and files - photos and many word document. I have tried looking in the C drive and users - all folders empty. How can I recover these many files that I thought I...
  10. update windows 10 or all my files will be lost

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    update windows 10 or all my files will be lost: A message appeared in a popup window warning me that if I did not click the update now button all my files would be lost. I just closed the browser and it disappeared. I assume this is a scam of sorts and not a real threat....