Windows 10: Lost all my desktop icons all of a sudden. Background remains the same.

Discus and support Lost all my desktop icons all of a sudden. Background remains the same. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My desktop suddenly changed. I had approximately 18 icons grouped on the left. Now there's a single row on the left - top to bottom - with maybe two of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BarryVogel1, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Lost all my desktop icons all of a sudden. Background remains the same.

My desktop suddenly changed. I had approximately 18 icons grouped on the left. Now there's a single row on the left - top to bottom - with maybe two of my shortcuts. I now have trouble finding important places

The appearance now is:

Start

Pinned tiles

All apps

My name

Documents

Pictures

Settings

Power

I have tried to restore the desktop without success. PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU.

:)

BarryVogel1, Sep 2, 2020
  2. Misiowiec Win User

Lost desktop background

I did a Search & Distroy spyware scan the other day, and one of the suggested "fixes" said something about removing Active Desktop. Like the muppet I am I clicked yes and am now without a desktop background picture.

Does anyone have an idea how to reverse this? If I try to select a picture it's simply not added as a background.

Misiowiec, Sep 2, 2020
  3. Misiowiec Win User
    Lost desktop background

The thing is I have no spyware; I've done scans with different pieces of software and they all confirm this. The active desktop bit that was removed by Search & Destroy is, I think, a pure Windows thing and I've seen it being listed in Search & Destroy scans on both this and other PCs before.

The thing is that this time I was trying to be clever and pressed "delete" whereas before I just ignored it. I've undone the Active Desktop removal in Search & Destroy and also followed your tips above but it makes no difference - still no desktop background. Any other ideas or do I just wait until the next reformat?

Misiowiec, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Lost all my desktop icons all of a sudden. Background remains the same.

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Lost all my desktop icons all of a sudden. Background remains the same.

1. Lost all my desktop icons all of a sudden. Background remains the same. - Similar Threads - Lost desktop icons

2. desktop icon showing same picture on all icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop icon showing same picture on all icons: how can i change the fact that all my icons on desktop have the same picture on them all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-showing-same-picture-on-all-icons/f0d1cf0d-b807-428c-b6f1-97cee2f581cf
  3. desktop icon showing same picture on all icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop icon showing same picture on all icons: how can i change the fact that all my icons on desktop have the same picture on them all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-showing-same-picture-on-all-icons/f0d1cf0d-b807-428c-b6f1-97cee2f581cf
  4. desktop icon showing same picture on all icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. All Icon is the same

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Icon is the same: So basically all my png, jpeg, jpg, mp4 turned to this icon, is there anyway on how to fixed it, it's kinda annoying since there's photo preview before this happen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-icon-is-the-same/805e40c4-2468-46bf-afec-b89f830f2d67
  6. All Icon is the same

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Icon is the same: So basically all my png, jpeg, jpg, mp4 turned to this icon, is there anyway on how to fixed it, it's kinda annoying since there's photo preview before this happen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-icon-is-the-same/805e40c4-2468-46bf-afec-b89f830f2d67
  7. All Icon is the same

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Red desktop background and all icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Red desktop background and all icons are gone: I recently booted up my pc after a while and the background is now red, my icons are gone, and whenever I try to do anything it just loads for a while and then does nothing. submitted by /u/Zuedead115 [link] [comments]...
  9. All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain: Hello, After a restart all my icons have disappeared on the Desktop and in all of my folders. The titles under the icons remain and are selectable to open programs. The taskbar is also affected with only generic icons showing for programs; the Quicklaunch bar shows...
  10. Lost all "Desktop" Icons/Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost all "Desktop" Icons/Shortcuts: I was on a short vacation, and I powered off my system...via power strip, while gone. Upon return, I fired up the system, and downloaded any updates, etc., that might have been available during my "absence". When done, I noticed that all my old W7 desktop "shortcuts" were...