Windows 10: Lost all my files after upgrade

Discus and support Lost all my files after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop undertook an automatic upgrade yesterday and now I cannot find any of my previously saved documents and files - photos and many word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GillMoody, Apr 28, 2019.

1. GillMoody Win User

Lost all my files after upgrade

My laptop undertook an automatic upgrade yesterday and now I cannot find any of my previously saved documents and files - photos and many word document.

I have tried looking in the C drive and users - all folders empty.

How can I recover these many files that I thought I had saved to my laptop?

:)

GillMoody, Apr 28, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

windows 10 force upgrade! stuck at welcome screen and lost all files after upgrade.

Hi,

Are you able to log into computer?

This issue might have occurred because of upgrade file corruption. Follow the steps below and check.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.

You may also refer the link below to find the lost files.

Find lost files after the update to Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Do let us know if you are able to log into computer and get all the files and folders.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 28, 2019
  3. Lost files after upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Paul,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you have lost the files after upgrading to Windows 10 on your computer.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• How did you upgrade to Windows 10 (Using Media Creation Tool or Windows Updates)?

• How many days has it been since upgrading to Windows 10?

• Did you check if the lost files are found in
      windows.old
      folder?

When you upgrade to Windows 10, the previous Windows files and folders are automatically stored in
    C:\Windows.old folder. This folder is kept by Windows only for one month (30 days). After one month Windows 10 will automatically delete the folder.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Lost all my files after upgrade

Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Lost all my files after upgrade

1. Lost all my files after upgrade - Similar Threads - Lost files upgrade

2. Reinstalled windows and lost all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalled windows and lost all my files: I have recently reinstalled windows on my PC as my windows was previously corrupted. I have lost all my files, but my hard drives still full of data. When I try to access that data and all my files I find nothing. I have gone through many videos and websites telling me to...
  3. Windows Photos - lost all my albums after hiding files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Photos - lost all my albums after hiding files: I used the hide file feature of a lot of my photos, and now they don't appear in any of my windows photo albums, even AFTER I click 'show hidden files' within my files app. Is there a solution to this?...
  4. Lost all audio after upgrade to Windows 10 21H1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost all audio after upgrade to Windows 10 21H1: The title has it all - the other day I updated my Windows 10 to the latest version 21H1 and today I noticed that there is no sound at all. I tried reinstalling the Realtek drivers, but it did not work. In fact, the Asus program that updates the drivers (I've got Asus Rog...
  5. I Lost All of My Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Lost All of My Files: My computer was not loading the key pad to enter my pin and sign in. I was stuck on the rotation of scenic photos that it typically runs through in the background. This has been a regular occurrence for quite some time now. In every instance before this one of two things...
  6. Lost all files after editing the registry

Lost all files after editing the registry: This morning I found that I was unable to log into Windows 10, which kept directing me to a temporary profile. So after doing some googling, I followed the directions in this youtube video exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTPi6dTzss To my shock, when I restarted...
  7. Lost all files after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost all files after update: Hello, My computer recently did an update and now all my files are not there. My apps are still on the pc but they all need reinstalled. Also, when I look into the users folder there are only two files: TEMP &Public. And my profile isn't there. Even my wallpaper was...
  8. Edge and lost all of my files

Edge and lost all of my files: I uploaded Edge and lost all of my desktop icons, pictures, and files. How do I restore them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-and-lost-all-of-my-files/0b682565-e2ab-48c5-a86d-f3ce07232049
  9. lost all files and folders after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    lost all files and folders after update: Have lost all my files, iTunes songs, photos, cant log into my email. I cant do a restore point as it doesn't recognize anything past the update point of today. I don't know what to do, please help...
  10. on upgrade lost all my personal apps on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    on upgrade lost all my personal apps on desktop: How do I get my personal apps back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-upgrade-lost-all-my-personal-apps-on-desktop/5f518698-c92e-4f26-a20b-bc6bd294c0ff

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lost all files when logged in resolve steps