Windows 10: Lost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user

Discus and support Lost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Okay so on Sunday I noticed all my files were gone and was unaware of the fact that I was in a temporary profile (as I got no warning). I then found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Amelia Turner, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Lost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user

Okay so on Sunday I noticed all my files were gone and was unaware of the fact that I was in a temporary profile (as I got no warning). I then found all my files in my 'Users' folder, and proceeded to move all of them into the temporary files. This was a massive mistake, as I turned my laptop on the next day and found everything had been deleted. I've read that these files are now permanently deleted, but there should be another way! I really need all my pictures and documents, they're very important to me! I have no backups (stupid, I know, but there's nothing I can do about that now), so if anyone has experienced the same thing as I have please help and tell me what you did to get your files back! Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, I am still unable to get out of the temporary profile, I have restarted many times and have even updated my computer all in an attempt to get back to my main user. So I would also appreciate any help as to how to get out of this temporary profile and onto my main one.

:)

Amelia Turner, Nov 13, 2019

2. Lost files due to moving files from main user to TEMP user

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

I guess you have moved files to temporary User Profile, instead of copying them. Right? Let me confirm that anything like files or folder that you have worked or saved on temporary User Profile will be lost once you come out of the Profile. I mean,
    when you sing-out or restart your PC, those files will be lost.

You can see this temporary User Profile, when system fails to read the User Profile correctly. Restarting your PC will revoke this temporary profile. Hence any files or folder saved on this profile will be wiped away on restarting your PC. So, there
    is no possibility of getting back these files and folders back, since they are removed permanently.

However, check with the following locations to see if you find missing files.

· Check the files in AppData and Temp folders (Press Windows Key + R and type %appdata% and %temp%)

· Check the files in OneDrive folders, make sure PC is connected to the Internet

· Check the files in other drive if available (D:, ELost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user :)

· Check the files in Recycle Bin

If you don't find any files, then it indicates that they are removed permanently from your PC.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Nov 13, 2019
  3. Lost files due to moving files from main user to TEMP user

SHORT STORY:

I updated my pc to windows 10 and I didn't know I was in a TEMP user when I moved things from my regular user to the TEMP user. I restarted my pc and noticed all the files I moved over from my regular user were gone and everything in the temp user was deleted

WHAT HAPPENED:

So, last night I decided to update my pc from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

I got up this morning and signed into my PC as normal and I noticed there was nothing on my desktop, Pictures folder etc.

So I just guessed that my old profile wasn't compatible or something with Windows 10 and that it created me a new profile.

So I went to file explorer and into the Users file and went to my old profile and moved my files from the old desktop into my new on, my pictures/music from my old folder to the new one.

So I then decided to sign out and try to sign into my old user, just in case I missed it when I signed in in the first place.

Didn't see 2 users so I just signed into this new profile and I noticed everything was gone, Desktop files, pictures, music etc

I didn't know what happened so I just restarted my pc and then the Windows 10 intro came on, I signed in and it was my profile from before I updated except with everything I moved over gone. I later found out that I moved everything from my main user to a user called
    TEMP.. Well after that I didn't think anything was wrong til I checked the TEMP user and everything was gone.

Is there any way I can recover these files? I had a few years worth of pictures and music.

manboyguydood, Nov 13, 2019
  4. JohnRav Win User

Lost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user

Where did C:\users\Temp go?

Hello,

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and I noticed that, despite the phrase that says everything is left at their place, I lost some game and software save and config files. Because when I start a game, every progress is lost.

It actually appeared that new profiles are saved in C:\Users\Temp. And I found out that the files were not deleted but for some reason, the games and software now work on the \Temp folder instead of the usual \MyUserName folder. So no big deal then, I just
    moved all the files from C:\Users\John\ to C:\Users\Temp and everything was fixed. But when I started Windows again, it broke and the C:\Users\Temp folder is gone with years worth of files.

Where can I find those back?

JohnRav, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Lost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user

1. Lost all my files due to moving them from my 'Users' folder into TEMP user - Similar Threads - Lost files due

2. Lost Files in my user account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Files in my user account: Hi Microsoft, Yesterday, I changed my user account from microsoft user account to a local account and all my important files were gone. I already checked the drive C:\Users\filename the folder was there and some files but all of my import files were gone. Is there another way...
  3. "TEMP" users in the Users folder cannot be deleted

"TEMP" users in the Users folder cannot be deleted: [ATTACH] There are three "temporary" users listed in the Users folder on my wife's machine. These appear to be remnants from other Windows faults - there are no users on the machine other than the one belonging to my wife, "Diana". The "TEMP" folders all have a Documents...
  4. Moving user folder

Moving user folder: I just got a new SSD and have it installed alongside my old HDD, but when I boot from my new drive I have to use the new user, instead of the old one. The user that is on the old drive has a lot of stuff that I need, but I can't figure out how to get it onto the new drive in...
  5. ALL FILES in my user folder DELETED

ALL FILES in my user folder DELETED: After I restarted my PC today, ALL files in my user folder are deleted, including pictures, videos, documents, desktop, music.... only the empty folder structure remains. The files are not moved to other folders on the C drive, I've looked for them. No new user profile were...
  6. Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?

Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?: Howdy! can you move all the installed programs, documents and other files from one Windows 10 user account to another or other? I was banned from my main account at Microsoft and can't play a game online so I made a second user and created a new Microsoft account where I can...
  7. Lost my user folder

Lost my user folder: In the process of moving some of my user folders to another drive Documents, Music, Videos, etc. I somehow seem to have lost the root user folder containing my appdata, roaming, local, etc. folders. I tried opening file explorer and typing in %userprofile% and the result came...
  8. Lost Users folder

Lost Users folder: In the properties for my C:\Users\ten24 folder, I checked "Hidden", hoping to be able to get to my AppData file. I wasn't paying attention to what happened after that, but now the ten24 folder is gone, with all of the files in Documents, etc. Is there someway for me to...
  9. Moving files from Users

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files from Users: Hello! I found that I had a lot of duplication on my pc. I had pictures under Windows/Users and the same under Our Photos (D*Smile I moved the pictures under Windows/Users to the Our Photos (D*Smile I now find in File Explorer I have D:/ and Our Photos (D*Smile Can I...
  10. Desktop folder disappear (C:\Users\Temp\Desktop) with all my material

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop folder disappear (C:\Users\Temp\Desktop) with all my material: Hi, i need your helps After upgrade to windows 10 (from 8) I notice that my "active" desktop folder is C:\Users\Temp\Desktop –I restart my computer and now my desktop is C:\Users"myUser"\Desktop The problem is - that C:\Users\Temp\Desktop folder with all of my sub-folders...