Windows 10: Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant

Discus and support Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So my old computer and my laptop both got the "windows defender disabled" worm it spread without my action or knowledge, so i reinstalled everything.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EvanRaby, Sep 13, 2020.

1. EvanRaby Win User

Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant

So my old computer and my laptop both got the "windows defender disabled" worm it spread without my action or knowledge, so i reinstalled everything. All is fine now except for the fact all my files are gone. The laptop not so much a big deal we learned from previous crashes not to store stuff on the PC and instead on a cloud, but the desktop machine had all my files, which my parents never thought to backup.

So 3 months after the reinstall, i ran Recuva on the desktop machine. Couldn't find one file, so i ran a deep scan that took over 4 hours to complete. hard drive from 2011, originally ran Win7, survived through numerous malwares Naturally, I went to sleep, expecting my recovered files in the morning.

I woke up today to no fans black screen. My mother said that she turned it off because it was on an unrecoverable black screen. THANKS WINDOWS!

Maybe when the PC is doing an extensive read/write operation you should disable powering off the machine or going into sleep...

Help appreciated.

:)

EvanRaby, Sep 13, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 13, 2020
  3. lost files due to fall update

the last time I updated my Windows 10 product ( as suggested by Microsoft suggested ) it deleted my documents, photos, and music files and folders. I lost two years of writing work, I lost old family photos that are irreplaceable. I followed all the suggestion
    for recovering my files and so far nothing has worked. Right now my laptop won't even update the Dell updates. Windows can't repair or update again. Sort of going into the bowels of my laptop and risking permanent failure, what do you suggest I do. Always
    remember, I am not a programmer, I am not a laptop builder. I am an average person.

Sheila JTarangle, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant

Lost Picture ID + all photo files and Touchpad

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would like to ask if the option to keep files and settings was selected at the time of roll back to previous version.

Also, some files may be hidden. So, I suggest you to check the size of the drive where the photos were saved. If the files are hidden, suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type/ (copy & paste) the below command line.
    Attrib –h –r –s /s /d D:*.* (Replace the letter ”D” with the drive letter where the photos were saved)

Check if the photos are available.

For the ID picture on sign-in, can set it again by following the steps below:

• Go to PC Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • In the right pane, click on Browse under Add a Picture.
    • Select the desired picture and click on OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant

1. Lost ALL of my personal files, including passwords, family photos, and everything. Rant - Similar Threads - Lost personal files

2. I Lost my Surface personal Data suddenly lost all files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Lost my Surface personal Data suddenly lost all files.: Hello everyone, I was facing problem last night I was working on my Surface laptop 3 I downloaded the iCloud Drive App from Microsoft Store after using the app and configured in user profile in C Drive. I lost all of my data and file which is important to me but some of app...
  3. I Lost my Surface personal Data suddenly lost all files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Lost my Surface personal Data suddenly lost all files.: Hello everyone, I was facing problem last night I was working on my Surface laptop 3 I downloaded the iCloud Drive App from Microsoft Store after using the app and configured in user profile in C Drive. I lost all of my data and file which is important to me but some of app...
  4. I Lost my Surface personal Data suddenly lost all files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Identifying a person in a family photo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Identifying a person in a family photo: Hello Everyone,I have a family group photo that has about twenty members. I would like to send that photo to someone, but I would like to identify each family member so the person I'll be sending that photo to will know who's who? Is there a way I can do that on my desktop?...
  6. Identifying a person in a family photo

Identifying a person in a family photo: Hello Everyone,I have a family group photo that has about twenty members. I would like to send that photo to someone, but I would like to identify each family member so the person I'll be sending that photo to will know who's who? Is there a way I can do that on my desktop?...
  7. Identifying a person in a family photo

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  8. which files are included in personal files ?

which files are included in personal files ?: i am planning to reset my laptop but it says that "personal files will not be deleted" my doubt is does files stored in C: drive known as personal files and will it delete the extra apps which i have installed example like any games....
  9. windows update deleted everything including all files and passwords!

windows update deleted everything including all files and passwords!: Help - the update (just finished) appears to have deleted everything! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-deleted-everything-including-all/d3ba3e94-738a-4443-a606-48a1afbc9d31
  10. Reset but keep all personal files - all files lost.

Reset but keep all personal files - all files lost.: I was having trouble with being signed in to a temporary account so in the windows boot recovery I chose to reset my PC keeping all my personal files. 20 mins later however, I return to find my pc reset - and none of my files are there. Literally the only stuff left was a few...