Windows 10: Lost association for TXT files

Discus and support Lost association for TXT files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; [img]Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm Post subject: Lost assocaition with .txt files [ATTACH] D-clicking a TXT file in Win 10 File Explorer normally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terrypin, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Terrypin Win User

Lost association for TXT files

[table][tr][td]Lost association for TXT files [​IMG]Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm Post subject: Lost assocaition with .txt files[/td] [td] Lost association for TXT files icon_quote.gif [/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]D-clicking a TXT file in Win 10 File Explorer normally opens it in my text editor, TextPad. Now it opens no program. Naturally I used 'Choose default applications by file type' and set TXT to TextPad, but still no change.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

:)

Terrypin, Jul 17, 2020
  2. harrymc Win User

Visual Studio 2015 keeps getting standard file association for txt files

Visual Studio will attempt to repair any broken file associations (those not associated with a valid application) at startup.
    I suggest the following two manipulations.

• Check if txt is included in VS
      Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> File Extension,
      and Remove in that case.
    • Go to
      Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program -> Choose default apps by file type,
      scroll down to .txt and click, then choose your text editor if it is not already set correctly.

If these two measures are not enough, then your Visual Studio setup has a problem.

harrymc, Jul 17, 2020
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Lost association for TXT files

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

No, that > bla.txt is the target file to write to. You could use a wildcard in the argument, ie c:\windows\*.txt which would list all dlls in c:\windows. But adding that to a simple right-click would be tricky.

Basically you would execute fancyfile.bat c:\windows\*.txt, fancyfile.bat would then write all .txt files to bla.txt.

DanTheBanjoman, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

Lost association for TXT files

1. Lost association for TXT files - Similar Threads - Lost association TXT

2. TXT FILES PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TXT FILES PROBLEM: Hello there my SSD disk broken from power suply and i had another one. I put the new one and i put the windows 10 i had buy.I let windows to update many times now and after 2 weeks i opened some txt files i had in second disk but the outcome is that i cant read it. I suppose...
  3. TXT FILES PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TXT FILES PROBLEM: Hello there my SSD disk broken from power suply and i had another one. I put the new one and i put the windows 10 i had buy.I let windows to update many times now and after 2 weeks i opened some txt files i had in second disk but the outcome is that i cant read it. I suppose...
  4. File associations are lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File associations are lost: Always Open With is checked to use certain apps for mp4, MOV and jpg files. The choose a default app for each type of file list confirms the choices.Yet, days later the association is gone, and the what app do you want to open this file? query returns.This is a relatively...
  5. File associations are lost

File associations are lost: Always Open With is checked to use certain apps for mp4, MOV and jpg files. The choose a default app for each type of file list confirms the choices.Yet, days later the association is gone, and the what app do you want to open this file? query returns.This is a relatively...
  6. Debug file TXT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Debug file TXT: [1011/110901.130:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc43] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. 0x3 Every time I open a pdf file via Microsoft edge, I get this debug file. I tried deleting it but it comes up again when I open the pdf. When I am reading through...
  7. Lost association for TXT files

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost association for TXT files: [img]Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm Post subject: Lost assocaition with .txt files [ATTACH] D-clicking a TXT file in Win 10 File Explorer normally opens it in my text editor, TextPad. Now it opens no program. Naturally I used 'Choose default applications by file type'...
  8. Corrupted .TXT Files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted .TXT Files?: I don't want to add unnecessary details, so I will keep this simple. A friend created a .7z archive and password protected it with a long password. He saved this password int a .txt file but lost that txt file and didn't know how to recover it. He simply kept the archive...
  9. Lost file associations, esp RTF

Lost file associations, esp RTF: (I have found threads on this topic here, but nothing that fits the bill.) All of a sudden I can't open docs saved in WordPad because: This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed,...
  10. Lost task association

Lost task association: I have scheduled *.btm tasks that are processed by JPsoft TCC.exe. They have been working fine for years. Today, every time the run I get a prompt asking if I want to run them with TCC. I refreshed the associations with JPSoft utilities, and with Windows associations....