Windows 10: Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

Discus and support Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive , in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello : Tonight my son's computer lost booting from his ssd , the old hard drive boots fine but slow . Need to make the new ssd drive bootable . Weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Total, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Total Win User

Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

Hello : Tonight my son's computer lost booting from his ssd , the old hard drive boots fine but slow . Need to make the new ssd drive bootable . Weird this worked for 1 month until tonight .
    1903 version (os Build 18362.499)
    Ideas . thanks

Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive , [​IMG]

Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive , [​IMG]

:)

Total, Nov 11, 2019
  2. kjl1956 Win User

How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

If you remove the windows 7 drive from the pc it will not boot.

Deleting the option to boot win 7 does not change where the win 10

boot loader is stored, it is still on the disk 0

It may be possible to copy or clone the windows bootloader to an empty space on drive 1.

The only other way is to clean install to the ssd with the old drive removed.

Or remove the ssd install win10 to that drive then clone the old drive to the ssd

Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP

kjl1956, Nov 11, 2019
  3. GSG-9 Win User
    Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

Boot from old hard drive

The motherboard of my old computer died suddenly and so I bought a new computer. It has two 1TB HDDs on RAID 0 and comes preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. I wanted my computer to boot from my old 120GB SSD from my old computer but it doesn't seem to recognize it as boot drive. It was working perfectly with my old computer.

I can view files from the SSD and so this confirms that it is working. The boot partition is marked active.

I tried changing the boot hard drive in the bios but in the bios, the only two options shown in the boot menu are

• Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume1)
    • CD/DVDRW

After searching online, a website suggested swapping the Sata of the old hard drive with that of the new one. I tried even this but this didn't work either. It gave me the error "boot disk not found" and in the boot menu, the only option was "CD/DVDRW".

For Reference :<br>
    Motherboard : ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING<br>
    All Hard Drives Run GPT.

Any other solutions?

Don&#39;t Root here plz..., Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

1. Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive , - Similar Threads - Lost boot ssd

2. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  3. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  4. System Refusing to Boot from M.2 after plugging in old SSD boot drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Refusing to Boot from M.2 after plugging in old SSD boot drive.: So I've been troubleshooting this for the past two hours now and nothing is working.I needed more space on my computer so I remembered the old SSD that used to be the original boot drive for my PC that was just sitting in there unused. I upgraded to the Samsung 960 Evo years...
  5. System Refusing to Boot from M.2 after plugging in old SSD boot drive.

System Refusing to Boot from M.2 after plugging in old SSD boot drive.: So I've been troubleshooting this for the past two hours now and nothing is working.I needed more space on my computer so I remembered the old SSD that used to be the original boot drive for my PC that was just sitting in there unused. I upgraded to the Samsung 960 Evo years...
  6. System Refusing to Boot from M.2 after plugging in old SSD boot drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.

Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.: Hello, I am trying to boot from an old m.2 SSD on my previous machine to a new motherboard. The new motherboard is an Asus x670, and when I boot, it will find find the drives I say drives because it is also detecting my SATA HDD but that is only storage and not of boot...
  8. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  9. Accessing programs on boot drive from old drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing programs on boot drive from old drives.: Hello, I recently upgraded to an ssd for a boot drive with around 500gb. Now, I would like to put some programs here but I want most of my games and programs to be be loaded from one of my two hard drives. Currently, the ssd is the C: drive. I also cannot seem to access...
  10. Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation: Hi all, I'm in a bit of a situation of my own causing here. I had a lot of trouble opening up my new laptop to install an nvme drive (HP among others has begun using locktite like solutions to render maintenance and repair of devices difficult), so I installed the nvme...