Windows 10: lost cd writer upon win 10 install

Discus and support lost cd writer upon win 10 install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Because i tried to install it on one said standard AHCI not first one you see in my pic of device manager. Spoke to Gigabyte told me did not need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sailor44, Aug 3, 2015.

1. flood404 Win User

lost cd writer upon win 10 install

I will have to see if I run into that on a P5Q Deluxe with a Intel SATA chipset. I know when I repaired a Dell Insprion 660S a week ago and put windows 8.1 which has Intel SATA and all of that. I guess I installed a buggy intel driver and rebooted and the DVD drive disappeared. It was listed in BIOS but nothing in device manager. So I installed the standard AHCI driver then rebooted and checked device manager the DVD drive was back. Then I installed a newer Intel SATA driver and its been working fine. IM sure OP is running into the same thing it seems. He might have to stick with a standard ahci driver until who ever made his SATA controller releases a good driver for windows 10.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  2. flood404 Win User

Can you give us a screenshot of your SATA AHCI controller in device manager?

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  3. truckmann Win User
    How's that?
    lost cd writer upon win 10 install [​IMG]

truckmann, Aug 4, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

True, we do not know enough specs on thread starter. Basically do not need a driver to be recognized by the BIOS for most devices as Windows stick a generic there for now, mostly loose functions of a device without correct driver.

When i had Windows 8.1 both controller drivers where there too and both Intel 9 series. What had me this time, after the issue from Windows 10 upgrade i did a clean install and even flashed the new drivers in from Gigabyte just before install of Windows this time and it was still same when it booted as before with upgrade install of 10, all is fine.

Not sure what is causing these problems with limited info on systems to, maybe registry issues or hardware.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  5. flood404 Win User
    That will do. You got the Older driver that Acer has on their support site. I know the Driver 9.1.9.1005 works I have it on my living room Intel Based system and Intel SATA ports.

I want you to install the Standard AHCI driver that Windows 10 comes with on this. Just click on Update driver and use the standard AHCI driver. When its installed reboot and see if the DVD drive is back. Im going to look for a link of the 9.1.9.1005 driver.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Or see if there is a newer one online, select, let it "search automatically for updated driver software".

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  7. truckmann Win User
    Automatic search found nothing new. Installing the Standard driver now.

truckmann, Aug 4, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Assumed windows 10 might have the driver even.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  9. flood404 Win User
    If the Standard AHCI driver works go here and grab the 9.1.9.1005 driver here. DevID.info – free driver search and update utility filename is 62119_infinst_autol.exe might have to extract them and install it manually. Its possible the Intel Rapid Storage Tech program will not work but the SATA driver will.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Be careful with sites like that. Mean Acer has not updated these on there site ? Go to Intel first or try them. Good luck guys, late here.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  11. flood404 Win User
    Yeah Acer never bothered updating their site with the latest drivers. All the manufactures are like that. Intel website is a pain to find that driver since they are on version 10 but they dropped support for his SATA chipset awhile ago.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  12. truckmann Win User
    I finally got it back up after saying something failed and it timed out on the install of the Standard driver. After it timed out it showed a different driver listed so I rebooted anyway. It got hung up on rebooting so I had to power down and wait for it to come back up. Now my CD/DVD drive is working and there is an unrecognized device. I have downloaded the driver you linked, but it's getting late so I will have to work on this more tomorrow.

lost cd writer upon win 10 install [​IMG]

truckmann, Aug 4, 2015
  13. flood404 Win User

Ok just uninstall that device and it will be gone. Then disable the D2D recovery option of the bios. And it should not be there again. Its feature to reset the ACER back to factory defaults by using a hidden partition on your hard drive. D2D recovery is useless now since windows 10 is installed.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  14. truckmann Win User
    Sounds good. That's about what I thought it was for anyway. Do I still need to install the 9.1.9.1005 driver?

truckmann, Aug 4, 2015
  15. sailor44 Win User
    I should give it a try. The Mobo is an ASUS M2A- UM. It has an Award bios.

I cannot get the device properties because it (the CD drive) does not show up in the device manager.

BTW. the door opens and closes and I can insert a CD, but nothing happens. However, it read lite does come on momentarily. really strange.

sailor44, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. lost cd writer upon win 10 install - Similar Threads - lost writer upon

2. cd writer won't burn discs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cd writer won't burn discs: I have a sandstrom cd writer but my win 10 HP laptop wont burn discs to it. Ive tried several programs and get the same error message saying check drivers or connection. It reads and plays cds and dvds fine just wont write....
  3. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD ROM writer/ reader: Hope I'm not beating a dead horse after all these years. It's an " old " Dell INSPIRON 560 / Windows 10 - updates current , with a 256 SSD put in years ago. Computer still works GOOD as a backup PC.Decided to use the DVD/CD Rom drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GH70N.....PROBLEM : it...
  4. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD ROM writer/ reader: Hope I'm not beating a dead horse after all these years. It's an " old " Dell INSPIRON 560 / Windows 10 - updates current , with a 256 SSD put in years ago. Computer still works GOOD as a backup PC.Decided to use the DVD/CD Rom drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GH70N.....PROBLEM : it...
  5. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. CD Writer not showing up

CD Writer not showing up: Hi there My cd rom drive shows up intermittently, usually not at all. I have searched on this forum and tried various fixes. I do not have upper or lower things in the registry, (sorry for the bad description) I've tried the tweakingwindows.com fix and no luck. As I said, it...
  7. External cd/dvd writer

External cd/dvd writer: I purchased a Verbatim Slimline cd/dvd writer and cannot get it installed on my Dell laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-cddvd-writer/9b9479f9-7f37-419a-b192-df4925cbc8a9
  8. lost windows installation cd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost windows installation cd: Hi.I am gonna bulid a new pc rig and i have installed windows via cd in my current pc but i have lost the installation cd. How can install windows in my new pc given the fact that i will not use any part of the old pc and it will remain unused. Thanks in advance...
  9. CD Writer no longer works

CD Writer no longer works: Hello, My external Liteon CD Writer no longer works. It starts to record, then ejects the CDs. I have tried CD Burner XP as well as Windows Media Player and various makes of CD. It works OK on other Computer and has worked fine on this HP Computer until just recently....
  10. DVD/cd writer cycling

DVD/cd writer cycling: I run W8.1 and 10130 on the same desktop. They are on separate SSD's and only plugged in one at a time. When 10130 is in and idle, the DVD/CD will cycle meaning it tries to do a read. Last's about 5 seconds and repeats every 3 minutes. The tray is empty. W8.1 does not repeat...