Windows 10: lost cd writer upon win 10 install

Discus and support lost cd writer upon win 10 install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Seen resolution 3 here to work for some, as long as sure no connections inside came loose power or SATA cables. Does draw open, any sound from it ?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sailor44, Aug 3, 2015.

1. sailor44 Win User

lost cd writer upon win 10 install

It does open and close. When I insert a CD, the read lite comes on momentarily. Nothing else happens. I tried the fix it software for MS, but it did not fix it. Also, win 10 has a different registry, and I cannot find any reference to upper and lower registers. I have purchase a new drive and will install it. I will report if this fixes it. It may be a bad/old drive problem.

sailor44, Aug 4, 2015
  2. truckmann Win User

See the pic for where the drivers they are looking to see are located. It's not under the CD/DVD drive so it doesn't matter that it's not showing up. Your issues are the same as what mine was doing. I could open the drive and it sounded like it would try to read a disk but the drive doesn't show up in the OS.

lost cd writer upon win 10 install [​IMG]

truckmann, Aug 4, 2015
  3. sailor44 Win User
    Right! I will attempt this and post here.

sailor44, Aug 4, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Another reason i believe Windows 10 has correct ones, even if older date, might be only ones supplied. Really need to check the BIOS in these issue with drives, least see if it is being recognized there.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  5. flood404 Win User
    I tested the the 9.1.9.1005 driver on windows 10 and they work fine. I would recommend those. If your not having issues now you can keep using the older driver.

I also have an older driver that comes with Rapid storage Tech program. But the drivers work but the RST program does not start like it supposed to do. Which is basically a control panel to check the drive health status and to stop a drive to unplug it from the system while its still on which is also known as hot plugging.

flood404, Aug 5, 2015
  6. flood404 Win User
    When you upgrade to windows 10 from a previous windows like windows 7 or windows 8.1. IT will try to use the drivers you had from the previous windows you were running. It does not grab any old SATA driver from windows update for the very old SATA chipsets. Its been always the ones you installed yourself or from the driver cd you used when you had windows 7 or 8.1 that you upgraded to 10 from. Because why would Windows 10 use a driver that was made way back in 2009 or even 2012. This was way before Windows 10 was even thought of. I know the Windows 10 would install its own drivers for the chipsets that are couple years old at least. I would bet if you did a clean install now it would use a Standard AHCI driver instead of a Intel based one for both controllers you have now..

flood404, Aug 5, 2015
  7. truckmann Win User
    I did go ahead and install the 9.1.9.1005 and it is working fine for me too.

truckmann, Aug 5, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

I did do a clean install, guess you did not remember what was read before. Either way upgrade or clean install, Windows 10 installed same drivers for the controllers, as it was different with Windows 8.1. All i am saying is with this thread starter does not take drivers for a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to be recognized by the BIOS. If he or she CD-ROM not being recognized if they ever at least looked in BIOS this will tell a lot. If it it being recognized, then we go from there. Driver issue i believe would show yellow exclamation point in Device Manager.

Look at my first SATA controller in my post picture first one on my system controls SATA III Ports 0-5 this is where i put my HDD and SSD. Second controller in pic controls sSATA III ports 0-3 this is where i put my DVD ROM on.

Similar if you install a PCI card do you think it needs the driver to be recognized at first by the BIOS ?
    Yeah it's possible Windows 10 does not have these specific drivers in it, but there is as said only 2 manufacturer's, AMD and Intel.

jds63, Aug 5, 2015
  9. flood404 Win User
    There is actually more manufactures that makes sata controllers. They are VIA, SiS, Nvidia for those with Nforce or Nvidia chipsets. There is adaptec. Marvell and Asmedia. Compaq made their own and there tons of others.

flood404, Aug 5, 2015
  10. sailor44 Win User
    Update: I finally gave up, and did a reinstall (called a refresh by windows). That fixed it! I don't know why, but I now see the drive . Oh, BTW, at the same time, I replaced the old drive with a new HP one. Not a scientific solution, but the bottom line is I am back with a CD drive.*Cool

sailor44, Aug 7, 2015
  11. flood404 Win User
    Can you give us a screenshot or the drivers it used and what version it used to finally see the drive in case I run into this myself?

It will be in device manager under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers.

flood404, Aug 7, 2015
  12. sailor44 Win User
    Here is the screen shot. All devices had the same driver and so does the cd writer.

sailor44, Aug 7, 2015
  13. flood404 Win User

I see it loaded a old standard IDE driver for both IDE controllers. Which is why now it detects the DVD drive now. Probably not the most optimal driver but hey it works.

flood404, Aug 7, 2015
  14. sailor44 Win User
    well, it is working now, and I believe the saying: if it aint broke, don't fix it. IF I knew of some tested good drivers, I would consider updating...

sailor44, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. lost cd writer upon win 10 install - Similar Threads - lost writer upon

2. cd writer won't burn discs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cd writer won't burn discs: I have a sandstrom cd writer but my win 10 HP laptop wont burn discs to it. Ive tried several programs and get the same error message saying check drivers or connection. It reads and plays cds and dvds fine just wont write....
  3. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD ROM writer/ reader: Hope I'm not beating a dead horse after all these years. It's an " old " Dell INSPIRON 560 / Windows 10 - updates current , with a 256 SSD put in years ago. Computer still works GOOD as a backup PC.Decided to use the DVD/CD Rom drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GH70N.....PROBLEM : it...
  4. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD ROM writer/ reader: Hope I'm not beating a dead horse after all these years. It's an " old " Dell INSPIRON 560 / Windows 10 - updates current , with a 256 SSD put in years ago. Computer still works GOOD as a backup PC.Decided to use the DVD/CD Rom drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GH70N.....PROBLEM : it...
  5. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. CD Writer not showing up

CD Writer not showing up: Hi there My cd rom drive shows up intermittently, usually not at all. I have searched on this forum and tried various fixes. I do not have upper or lower things in the registry, (sorry for the bad description) I've tried the tweakingwindows.com fix and no luck. As I said, it...
  7. External cd/dvd writer

External cd/dvd writer: I purchased a Verbatim Slimline cd/dvd writer and cannot get it installed on my Dell laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-cddvd-writer/9b9479f9-7f37-419a-b192-df4925cbc8a9
  8. lost windows installation cd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost windows installation cd: Hi.I am gonna bulid a new pc rig and i have installed windows via cd in my current pc but i have lost the installation cd. How can install windows in my new pc given the fact that i will not use any part of the old pc and it will remain unused. Thanks in advance...
  9. CD Writer no longer works

CD Writer no longer works: Hello, My external Liteon CD Writer no longer works. It starts to record, then ejects the CDs. I have tried CD Burner XP as well as Windows Media Player and various makes of CD. It works OK on other Computer and has worked fine on this HP Computer until just recently....
  10. DVD/cd writer cycling

DVD/cd writer cycling: I run W8.1 and 10130 on the same desktop. They are on separate SSD's and only plugged in one at a time. When 10130 is in and idle, the DVD/CD will cycle meaning it tries to do a read. Last's about 5 seconds and repeats every 3 minutes. The tray is empty. W8.1 does not repeat...