Windows 10: Lost connection to network drive attached to media player

Discus and support Lost connection to network drive attached to media player in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have not seen this issue anywhere yet, despite researching WD forums, which is where my problem is focused. I have a hard drive attached to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Grisbo, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Grisbo Win User

Lost connection to network drive attached to media player

I have not seen this issue anywhere yet, despite researching WD forums, which is where my problem is focused.

I have a hard drive attached to my WDLivePlus media player and have accessed it on my wireless network for years. I have had some problems with the mapped network location disappearing (usually because my VPN is either on or off when I try to access the player and drive) but have always been able in explorer network to refresh the settings by restarting or turning off the VPN and clicking on the WDLIVEPLUS icon, which shows as a "computer". That takes me to the drive and all its subfolders, so I can add and delete files. Therefore, I don't think the VPN is the source of my current problems accessing the drive.

This began, as far as I can tell, after the latest Win 10 update KB4462919 was installed a couple of weeks ago. What is unique in my situation is this: In File Explorer network, I can see the player as a "media device" AND THE DRIVE as a "computer", but can no longer access its folders when I click on the icon. Message received is the "problem with the name or path: diagnose, etc." one. The drive is fine if I want to access its contact from the usb-connected player. The player is also fine on the network and will stream content from my pc. So the problem appears to be the network no longer able to find the path through the media player to the drive. Also, I did not change any settings in the player itself prior to the problem arising.

If I attach the drive directly to my pc via usb it also works normally.

I have looked at device manager to see if there is a conflict and can't find anything, though once I did get a message that there was a conflict between computers when I was setting up a new computer to access the wireless network.

I have disabled my avast av and windows defender to no effect.

I have tried every conceivable network diagnostic and checked the usual sharing settings issues that arose after the spring '18 update and all the settings appear to be correct, such as re-enabling SMB1 (needed for my old player) and ensuring advanced sharing options and discovery are correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am bewildered to read the many, many approaches to solving the similar problems that have arisen over the last six or so months with the windows updates. None have worked, but I think not being able to do anything to the settings of the drive in the first place may be the crux of the problem. So many of the posts seem to address sharing out from the pc you're working on and not on reading/accesing what's elsewhere. Since I can't go to that other computer (a standalone drive) to make changes and don't see any further settings on the WD player to fiddle with, I'm at a loss.

:)

Grisbo, Oct 31, 2018
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Oct 31, 2018
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    Windows 10 Media Player will not save music data populated fron external hard drive???

Hi Day,

To assist you further, let me ask you:

• Did you disconnects the external hard drive or is it connected all the time?
    • What exactly do you mean by populated?
    • Are you referring to media player library/playlist?
    If it is about library and the external hard drive is connected all the time, I would suggest you to run Media player settings troubleshooter and media player library troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and select Control panel.

2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click troubleshooting.

3. Click View all, Click Windows Media player Settings and then media player library troubleshooter.

I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on windows, we’ll be glad to help you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Broken Windows Media Player

Hi,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for WMP? If not, we suggest that you try to run the troubleshooter and
    see if it helps. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on
      Programs.

• Under
      Media
      Player, click on
      Windows Media Player Settings
      and
      Windows Media Player Library.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost connection to network drive attached to media player - Similar Threads - Lost connection network

2. Lost Windows Media Player Legacy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Windows Media Player Legacy: If I try to install it by going to Settings>Apps>Optional Features>View Features Windows Media Player Legacy appears on the list, but when I Install it, it runs for several minutes and completes with the message “Couldn’t Install”It has now disappeared from the list of...
  3. Lost Windows Media Player Legacy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Windows Media Player Legacy: If I try to install it by going to Settings>Apps>Optional Features>View Features Windows Media Player Legacy appears on the list, but when I Install it, it runs for several minutes and completes with the message “Couldn’t Install”It has now disappeared from the list of...
  4. Incoming emails with media player attachments will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incoming emails with media player attachments will not open: incoming emails with media player attachments will not open * Moved from Community Center* Original title: inbox mail with attachments https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incoming-emails-with-media-player-attachments-will/5a3ac35a-7a79-4a45-bb0b-de8ec59d1093
  5. Incoming emails with media player attachments will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incoming emails with media player attachments will not open: incoming emails with media player attachments will not open * Moved from Community Center* Original title: inbox mail with attachments https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incoming-emails-with-media-player-attachments-will/5a3ac35a-7a79-4a45-bb0b-de8ec59d1093
  6. Network Attached Storage Connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Attached Storage Connections: I have recently installed a new computer at our church with Windows 10 Pro. We have a local network attached storage WD MyCloud DL2100 and it can be reached by any 'local' account on the other computers. However, when a computer is logged onto the Windows365 account,...
  7. Lost Network Connection?

Lost Network Connection?: Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help - we recently swapped internet service providers in our office and our WIFI is up and running fine. The problem we are having is that we use Sage accounting software, the main computer runs Sage and then my computer runs Sage from...
  8. media player streaming on network

media player streaming on network: playing content from media player on home network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-streaming-on-network/397644e7-cd42-411a-9106-28a7d8e51971
  9. lost connection to a network drive

lost connection to a network drive: I recently formatted my computer. I have a HDD connected to my linksys EA6900 touter Since' I don't see the network HDD Other computers see the HDD How can I see it?...
  10. Lost network connection

Lost network connection: My wife's brand-new Dell (win 10, 64 bit) suddenly lost the network connection. It says "Unidentified network". It's a directly wired connection, no router or modem involved. The same connection works just fine on two other PCs, one win 10, the other XP. I have tried all...