Windows 10: Lost custom Word 2016 templates

Discus and support Lost custom Word 2016 templates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Where are my custom Word 2016 templates after reinstall? After a Windows 10 update apparently caused application corruption, my Word 2016 displayed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ElleKayeme, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Lost custom Word 2016 templates

Where are my custom Word 2016 templates after reinstall?

After a Windows 10 update apparently caused application corruption, my Word 2016 displayed the "need to activate" error. Troubleshooting fix reinstalled Office! Now of course my custom document design templates are missing. Are they still in a folder somewhere? It will be days of work to reconstruct them, and will munge documents if I don't hae them.

:)

ElleKayeme, Jan 1, 2019

2. How to stop Windows 10 creating a custom office templates folder on the taskbar?

Many thanks Ronalene. Seems to have worked. In passing, the reason that I did not need the folder on the task bar is that File New Custom from within Word gives you all your custom templates in your Templates directory. However to do this you have to set
    File Options Advanced File locations Workgroup templates to the folder in which your own templates are stored, even if you don't belong to a workgroup.

Since I note that you are with Microsoft, I would mention that it is not smart for MS to make it so hard to access your own templates. It would be MUCH better for many of us if File New listed all of your own templates before putting up a whole page of useless
    templates that I imagine a majority of users never need! I have been using Word every day since 1982 (starting with a Dulmont Magnum with an early version of Word on a ROM plug) and have never used a built-in template except for Normal.dotm.

jonrichco1, Jan 1, 2019
  3. Problems creatinga new Word 2010 .docx via Windows Explorer context menu based on custom template

Susan, I want the file to open with a name (generic) in the open folder.

However, I am now giving up this effort, because there seem to be now way that Word 2010 can be

created based on a custom template using the Windows Explorer shortcut menu.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Hans L

HansLeander, Jan 1, 2019
  4. jimhoyle Win User

Lost custom Word 2016 templates

S40 and copying the T9 custom words

I found out myself that the custom word list is indeed losing words rapidly. I don't know exactly how, but I confirmed that words written both 2 weeks ago and 2 days ago have vanished. The phone doesn't suggest the words even I'm 100% certain I have entered
    them.

I don't see any correlation with word length or anything else; the disappearing seems to be random-like.

If anyone has information about the limitations of the custom T9 word list, it'd be great.

jimhoyle, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Lost custom Word 2016 templates

1. Lost custom Word 2016 templates - Similar Threads - Lost custom Word

2. Word templates

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word templates: I am using Microsoft 365.(Win 10) I use word a lot. This morning I opened Word and I usually see along the top several templates. Blank, and then single space and a few others. All gone except for Blank document What happened? Any suggestions? How do I create a custom...
  3. Custom Templates Not Showing in Word Opening Screem

Custom Templates Not Showing in Word Opening Screem: I just installed Office 365 on a new machine after using 2010 for years on another machine. I have not been able to get two custom templates to appear anywhere on Word's opening screen. I would like to have them right between Blank Document and Welcome to Word. How do I make...
  4. lost numbering on templates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    lost numbering on templates: Hi I was given a microsoft keyboard for Christmas and it is great except that I have inadvertently clicked on a button and now I have lost my numbering displaying on any templates I create. [ATTACH] The template has the numbering set as 1.0 for the main number and 2.1...
  5. Outlook & Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook & Word 2016: The last week or there abouts when I receive an email message in outlook it seems to play the default sound rather than the one I’ve assigned. The sounds ‘Desktop mail notification’ and ‘New Mail Notification’ were set back to default in control panel – sounds. So, I set them...
  6. Dictate Word 2016.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictate Word 2016.: Is there a program called dictate that I can download and use with Word 2016. If so where can I go to download it? Thank you in advance. Mike *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Word 2016

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Word 2016: I am unable to open home page I have reinstalled the product but I still cannot open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2016/1534d006-b45d-41a6-85c6-cb5274dcc1f4"
  8. Word Calendar Template

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word Calendar Template: I am using a Word calendar template. I have created all my calendar entries and save it as a word document. However, each time I open the document it keeps asking me to pick a month - just like a new template. Please help...
  9. Word calendar template

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word calendar template: I am using a Word calendar template. I have created all my calendar entries and save it as a word document. However, each time I open the document it keeps asking me to pick a month - just like a new template. Please help...
  10. Trying to Download Excel Template for Office 2016

Trying to Download Excel Template for Office 2016: Hello all, I cannot download a template for Excel using Office 2016. When online I keep getting directed to Office 365. Only six templates appear on my Excel new page and the cursor will not go into the search bar on that page to get online. Do you know where I can find the...